January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I would be totally gutted if we sold Luiz for £100m and brought Phillips for £50m as an example.  Even selling Luiz for £120m and buying Phillips for £40m would still be gutting.  

I wouldn’t. 
If we sold him for 120m it’s almost pure profit that allows you to buy a few hundred million pounds worth of players.

the occasional massive sale would do wonders for our buying power.

if

the owners want to put that kind of money in. If.

34 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I wouldn’t. 
If we sold him for 120m it’s almost pure profit that allows you to buy a few hundred million pounds worth of players.

if

Seen nothing to suggest they would not

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I wouldn’t. 

if

Is there a player in his position that is better than Douglas Luiz, who would come to Villa, or who would cost less than £120 million? I don't think there is. So selling him for any amount would leave us worse off. I don't think we are that desperate for money that we need to sell our best players.

Usually a club can sell their best player for a huge sum and reinvest that money in players that improve the whole team. Liverpool did that when they sold Coutinho. Sometimes this strategy can go wrong though and the new players don't lift the team enough to recover from the loss. This happened to Spurs when they sold Bale and us when we sold Grealish.

Aston Villa this season are in a slightly different situation now though. If we sold our best players there simply aren't good enough replacements available and the overall strength of the starting eleven is too good to strengthen other areas enough to make up for the loss.

If we sold Martinez we are losing the world's best goalkeeper who is also a vital personality in the dressing room. The only comparible keepers are at Liverpool and Man City, who wouldn't sell to us and even then wouldn't have the same effect on the dressing room.

If we sold Douglas Luiz I can't think of any player in the world who would influence our midfield in quite the same way. He could quite easily start for Man City, Bayern Munich or Real Madrid. If there are players capable of what he does then they already play for a top Champions League team and again, they won't sell them to us.

Even players like Haaland and Kane wouldn't contribute as much to the team as Ollie Watkins does at the moment. They are better goal scorers but they don't contribute as much in other ways.

What we would lose by selling our best would outweigh what we might gain by upgrading in positions like Matty Cash's, John McGinn's or Jacob Ramsey's. We need to sell off expendable players, quality youngsters and take advantage of special circumstances (Dybala's contract for example and free transfers) to improve our weakest positions. Weakest being a relative term. We are, after all, second in the Premier League, over half way through an injury riddled season. It is much harder to improve now than it was even a year ago.

• Like 1

If we did sell Luiz for £100m +, of course I don't want us to as I love the guy, but if we did then I think smart tactics would be to put £40m down straight away for Palhinha who would settle in right away and then buy a top wonderkid midfielder who would be ready in a year or two

• Like 1

There are always other players that can be brought in that will become the next Luiz or Grealish etc.  Its finding them before they become that expensive that's the difficult part.  It's a bit far fetched to say we couldn't replace them, every team replaces a top player from time to time.

• Like 2

I’d go for Joey Veerman from PSV for the Luiz role, regardless if we sold Luiz. He’s quality. Ideally I’d like Luiz AND Veerman. 

Get in Vermeeren for Kamara cover and we’d be good to go, cost us between 40/50m what with the 13-17m release clause for Vermeeren. 

If FFP is impacting all clubs as much as we’re hearing then nobody is spending 100m on Douglas Luiz. Maybe the ridiculous valuations of players might start to come down in the next few seasons. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Is there a player in his position that is better than Douglas Luiz, who would come to Villa, or who would cost less than £120 million? I don't think there is. So selling him for any amount would leave us worse off. I don't think we are that desperate for money that we need to sell our best players.

Usually a club can sell their best player for a huge sum and reinvest that money in players that improve the whole team. Liverpool did that when they sold Coutinho. Sometimes this strategy can go wrong though and the new players don't lift the team enough to recover from the loss. This happened to Spurs when they sold Bale and us when we sold Grealish.

Aston Villa this season are in a slightly different situation now though. If we sold our best players there simply aren't good enough replacements available and the overall strength of the starting eleven is too good to strengthen other areas enough to make up for the loss.

If we sold Martinez we are losing the world's best goalkeeper who is also a vital personality in the dressing room. The only comparible keepers are at Liverpool and Man City, who wouldn't sell to us and even then wouldn't have the same effect on the dressing room.

If we sold Douglas Luiz I can't think of any player in the world who would influence our midfield in quite the same way. He could quite easily start for Man City, Bayern Munich or Real Madrid. If there are players capable of what he does then they already play for a top Champions League team and again, they won't sell them to us.

Even players like Haaland and Kane wouldn't contribute as much to the team as Ollie Watkins does at the moment. They are better goal scorers but they don't contribute as much in other ways.

What we would lose by selling our best would outweigh what we might gain by upgrading in positions like Matty Cash's, John McGinn's or Jacob Ramsey's. We need to sell off expendable players, quality youngsters and take advantage of special circumstances (Dybala's contract for example and free transfers) to improve our weakest positions. Weakest being a relative term. We are, after all, second in the Premier League, over half way through an injury riddled season. It is much harder to improve now than it was even a year ago.

In my opinion that is just hyperbole he isn’t the best midfielder in world football, he isn’t easily replaced but we have a manager and director of football who will work in tandem to improve the squad to increase the output of the team as a whole.

tbh I think fans like you don’t get the benefits of selling say 3 players for that sort of price over a 5 year period if the owners want to invest it would completely transform us into champions league challengers every year

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I say we just spend the money, say screw you to FFP and then sue like Man City does to continually avoid any kind of repercussions.

Man City will get done and Chelsea too probably just matter of time. Date set for City. People can say they'll get slap on the wrist but I don't think so. I'd be very worried if City fan and Chelsea too.

Monday will be interesting when PL releases all clubs that have breached profit and sustainability rules. Could see several points deductions handed out. Hopefully we're ok

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I say we just spend the money, say screw you to FFP and then sue like Man City does to continually avoid any kind of repercussions.

I don't, I would rather not get points deducted and fined ty.

Having said that I would spend the absolute maximum this window

• Like 1

Villa do not REALLY need to spend.

Players coming back will strengthen the team; Torres, Tielemens etc and Cash/Konsa can work for the remainder of the season at RB.

I presume we will be in a good position to spend money in the Summer if we qualify for CL?

• Like 2

i wonder if anyone will even come in for Chambers or Traore.

Would be great to get them off the books, even for free, or a very small fee.

between then, they are on about 130k p/w, getting that off the books would be nice.

With Traores lack of fitness/constant injuries, and Chambers being....Chambers, i dunno.

On another note, is Coutinho coming back from his loan or not?, seems to have gone quiet that one?