January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

8 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Ronnie Edwards would be a good signing. Bit of an understudy to Konsa as the right sided CB. Could potentially allow us to also send Lenglet back to Barca if we have eyes on another loan target.

Lenglet is left footed and been covering Torres who came in for injured Mings. I assume Emery is like many managers that like natural footed CBs for the out ball

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Lenglet is left footed and been covering Torres who came in for injured Mings. I assume Emery is like many managers that like natural footed CBs for the out ball

Diego Carlos played predominantly on the left side at his old club didn’t he? So he could cover for Torres if required. But you’re probably right, it’s unlikely Lenglet will leave as he was brought in when Mings got injured. Just depends on what is a priority if we’re still looking at the loan market.

Either way, Edwards would still be a decent signing for a relatively low fee.

Doesn’t solve our right back challenge though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Diego Carlos played predominantly on the left side at his old club didn’t he? So he could cover for Torres if required. But you’re probably right, it’s unlikely Lenglet will leave as he was brought in when Mings got injured. Just depends on what is a priority if we’re still looking at the loan market.

Either way, Edwards would still be a decent signing for a relatively low fee.

Doesn’t solve our right back challenge though.

It appears so though not necessarily ideally what Emery wants. I have nothing against getting Edwards who I didn't really know about until mentioned on here but googling his name looks like Palace have put in 3 bids already and not met valuation. No mention of us

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Heard the other day Dortmund got rid of him initially because was staying up all night playing his game console and turned up late for training and tired. Also he's on £300k a week so no thanks

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah i saw that too, bad attitude at Dortmund, bad attitude and Manure.

Wouldnt touch him with a barge pole.

I saw an interview with Vidic also, where he called out Sancho for being unprofessional (from when Vidic was in the dressing room with him).

not a good look.

I'm not saying the bad attitude thing isn't true, but the guy was absolutely sensational for Dortmund for years and as a teenager, consistently across seasons and competitions. And Man Utd spent the best part of 2 years trying to sign him so publicly they may as well have paid for public service annoucments about their intentions to pay more than what Dortmund were even asking for. 

Dortmund very publicly and memorably said he was their best player and they wouldn't sell for any price after a certain date in July as it would derail their season too much and they stuck to that despite how much Man Utd tried the year before they got him. Hardly stinks of a bad player and awful attitude they were forcing out the door. 

Also the thing about Vidic being in the dressing room with him? Unless it was for charity it's nonsense, Vidic left United in 2014 when Sancho had just turned 14 and was playing for Man City youth teams. Vidic retired when Sancho was 15 and he didn't sign for United until Vidic was 40. 

These rumours about him being a terrible person recently just seem quite revisionist. The guy openly said he was struggling mentally early last year. I don't know why everyone sided with the bald fraud over this too, the guy quite clearly making a complete mess of managing Utd in every other aspect seems to have been widely backed over this decision to treat Sancho like a second class citizen whilst continuing to play a lad in his position with 1 assist to his name and sexual abuse charges in public domain. 

I want to be clear I'm not accusing anyone here on this site or who I've quoted of racism or anything similar in nature, just stating that broadly non-white and/or non-british players seem to be called out for bad behaviour or unprofessionalism even when there's no real evidence of it aside from vague comments from a manager, whereas for example Grealish stumbling around streets coked up and smashed is just him being a lad and enjoying his success, him taking months to get going again the following season is just one of them things. 

I really hope Sancho turns it around, he was completely unplayable when he was still a kid in Germany, with that Dele interview last summer it's a good reminder you never know what's going on in some players lives or when that stuff will catch up with them and completely derail their careers. I used to work in a call centre with a lad who's brother was and still is a professional footballer and this guy could well have been too but he just met the wrong "friends" at the wrong time and was sat listening to abusive customers on commision 11 hours a day instead of living the dream. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I want to be clear I'm not accusing anyone here on this site or who I've quoted of racism or anything similar in nature

That's good as would be ridiculous

49 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I'm not saying the bad attitude thing isn't true, but the guy was absolutely sensational for Dortmund for years and as a teenager, consistently across seasons and competitions. And Man Utd spent the best part of 2 years trying to sign him so publicly they may as well have paid for public service annoucments about their intentions to pay more than what Dortmund were even asking for. 

Dortmund very publicly and memorably said he was their best player and they wouldn't sell for any price after a certain date in July as it would derail their season too much and they stuck to that despite how much Man Utd tried the year before they got him. Hardly stinks of a bad player and awful attitude they were forcing out the door. 

Also the thing about Vidic being in the dressing room with him? Unless it was for charity it's nonsense, Vidic left United in 2014 when Sancho had just turned 14 and was playing for Man City youth teams. Vidic retired when Sancho was 15 and he didn't sign for United until Vidic was 40. 

These rumours about him being a terrible person recently just seem quite revisionist. The guy openly said he was struggling mentally early last year. I don't know why everyone sided with the bald fraud over this too, the guy quite clearly making a complete mess of managing Utd in every other aspect seems to have been widely backed over this decision to treat Sancho like a second class citizen whilst continuing to play a lad in his position with 1 assist to his name and sexual abuse charges in public domain. 

I want to be clear I'm not accusing anyone here on this site or who I've quoted of racism or anything similar in nature, just stating that broadly non-white and/or non-british players seem to be called out for bad behaviour or unprofessionalism even when there's no real evidence of it aside from vague comments from a manager, whereas for example Grealish stumbling around streets coked up and smashed is just him being a lad and enjoying his success, him taking months to get going again the following season is just one of them things. 

I really hope Sancho turns it around, he was completely unplayable when he was still a kid in Germany, with that Dele interview last summer it's a good reminder you never know what's going on in some players lives or when that stuff will catch up with them and completely derail their careers. I used to work in a call centre with a lad who's brother was and still is a professional footballer and this guy could well have been too but he just met the wrong "friends" at the wrong time and was sat listening to abusive customers on commision 11 hours a day instead of living the dream. 

Amen.

Utd has been a shitshow of a club even before they signed him. 

Give Sancho some love and play him in the right system and you’ll have a very good player on your hands again. Dortmund should have offered a paltry fee and got him to agree to a half decent wage as he’ll stock will rise quickly again. 

26 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Dortmund should have offered a paltry fee and got him to agree to a half decent wage as he’ll stock will rise quickly again. 

Paying 150k with Manure paying the other 150k allegedly

10 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Probably bollocks but it would make sense as sort of a part exchange for azaz and why we got so little.

https://fbref.com/en/players/ba397562/Hayden-Hackney

Statistically looks like the profile of what we need. 

I hear he's one of the "Hackney Diamonds" and I'm sure that UE would get a tune out of him. ;) Edwards would also be a great signing at anywhere near that price, the EFL is well worth a look for young talent imo. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah i saw that too, bad attitude at Dortmund, bad attitude and Manure.

Wouldnt touch him with a barge pole.

I saw an interview with Vidic also, where he called out Sancho for being unprofessional (from when Vidic was in the dressing room with him).

not a good look.

All of this seems like bs. He was unprofessional and whatnot at Dortmond but they're loaning him back. They also kept him for an extra season because Man U wouldn't offer an extra 10m to meet their 100m valuation before the set deadline. Doesn't sound like they wanted rid of him.

It would make more sense to me that his level dropped after they refused to let him go. Which is hardly surprising. If we do everything needed to get a promotion at work, but we get blocked, would that affect our motivation?

Vidic retired long before Sancho became a man u player. So how was he in the dressing room?

Some players need an arm round them, and to feel appreciated, other respond better to a kick up the bum. 

Sancho clearly had more potential than he has shown, but he's had to deal with a shit environment at Man U. And quite frankly average managers. So I wouldn't write him off. I also wouldn’t label him a bad egg, because he was depressed and lost motivation, we are talking about a man in his early 20's suffering his first major setback in football. Nobody's perfect.

Edited by Philosopher

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

Fantastic deal for them then. They know him better than anyone. 

He's been training with them all week in Spain, I'd say with both teams being desperate they've managed to get a good sounding deal 

When I saw him for dortmund I'd say he played more like diaby for us, he's not a chalk on his boots winger, it was more like when they broke he was right up top, he was running past the number 9, coming central, shaped like a 5-2-3 but broke like a 4-4-2, hard to remember that he had the record for goals and assists in his first 100 bundesliga games (which I think musiala or wirtz has broken) 

Probably more interesting is what happens to Reus, he's fallen out with the manager and was dropped with a suggestion of being frozen out, he's out of contract in the summer and obviously at some point due the injury that means he'll miss the summer tournament 

8 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Just seen sansons contract is up at the end of the season, thought he had a year left so I take that one back.

Traore's contract is up in the summer too. Those two off the books should reduce wages by at least100k per week.

Why are we talking about Sancho, BVB and Man Utd in a Villa transfer thread? I know somebody mentioned a few days back that he maybe a good option for us and we all laughed.  

Is it still based from that convo or has there been an actual link with Villa and if so hasn’t that gone because he’s definitely going to BVB?

Edited by nick76
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, skarroki said:

Tha comparison to Jack doesn't hold water - if Jack had played less than 90 mins of football this season I wouldn't want him either.

To be honest I'd be on the fence about Jack coming back in terms of our need for him, and he's been leagues ahead of Sancho.

That's not to discount footballers having mental health or personal issues - totally respect that.

But I think Man U are like a clown car driving off a cliff right now - funny but ultimately tragic. He's done well to get away from that mess.

You can potentially handle one player like sancho in a dressing room, United had similar personalities in Pogba and Lingard. And then different problems in Fernandes, Antony and Martinez who I imagine are all drama. Add in whatever Rashford and Maguire have been doing. Absolute car crash. 

To keep on topic Duran is getting pelters for his perceived behaviour. I think Villa and Emery have been pretty good at vetting the personality and I trust anyone we sign to fit in with the current lot or mix it up in the right way. 

5 hours ago, skarroki said:

Sancho's got previous, I have no sympathy for him what so ever. 300k a week 20 year old, who had the world at his feet, represents everything that's wrong with football today. Thinks he's bigger than the club and no matter what you think of Ten Hag, Sancho should never disrespect the manager in the way he did, he's a F***** kid who has some footballing talent, that's about all. I am sure also, being they paid close to 100 million for him, the club and it's people, coaches, etc would have done everything possible to help him, an get him back playing football.

• Thanks 1