January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

17 minutes ago, Thats2 said:

We could really use a backup striker as cover for Ollie, but who would come? I read an article recently saying we had the same problem as Spurs with Kane - there's an in form striker blocking the way to the starting 11. The author surmised we would have to settle for youth (which we have with Duran) or an old head like Ings. I think he might be right. I see the suggestion of Solanke slated on here, but I really think we would do quite well to bring in that caliber of player to serve as Ollie's understudy.

Tbh we’d be lucky to have Solanke willing to sit on the bench. Which perfectly highlights the issue you’re flagging and which I agree is a problem. Someone almost as good as Watkins would probably be happy enough on City’s bench, but Villa? Just being “quite good sometimes I guess” would be the most we could hope for. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Tbh we’d be lucky to have Solanke willing to sit on the bench. Which perfectly highlights the issue you’re flagging and which I agree is a problem. Someone almost as good as Watkins would probably be happy enough on City’s bench, but Villa? Just being “quite good sometimes I guess” would be the most we could hope for. 

We are not going to sign anyone, better than Ollie, in his current form 13 in 21,even if we are in for a striker....They are tucked up, at the other Big Clubs.

But it could be a prudent move to go for someone with strong potential, who has one eye on reaching the heights...and young enough to go for it.

We currently have an impressive record, at Polishing potential, and UE and his backroom team, have worked wonders on that.

Maybe someone, none of us has thought about, could come in and surprise us all .....remember David Platt.....Lightning can strike twice, when you have a conductor on the training ground....pardon the pun.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah but no!

Anyway, let’s assume your “confidence” is correct for a moment, then why bring him back if he’s only again going to be on the fringes of the squad. He’d be unhappy, won’t develop with no game time and will likely only get as much time as Timmy or Dendoncker at best. Surely we’d be wanting players that will add to the push for this season for whatever target we are aiming for.

I'm confident because emery was talking about him as part of the squad, if he hadn't been I'd have assumed we'd have just done what we did with archer. 

And we'd be in a better position to more fully rotate our teams in various competitions next year as we bring in better backups at other positions. Plus he'd be more established as a player which makes playing him less of a risk. If we had just kept him perhaps he'd have played as much as Traore did. But if he returns perhaps he'd play a similar amount to zaniolo. 

Also our buyback expires in the summer so if we do ever want to bring him back the summer is the time to do so. 

i know we need a RB, but i wonder if we need a genuine top quality no.10 type player.

When teams play a defensive low block against us, we can struggle to break teams down at times, and as we continue to do well, some teams will sit deeper and deeper against us to try and nullify our quick transitions.

i think one area we lack currently is that no.10 type who can unlock defences when the opposition has 11 man behind the ball, we arent "bad" at it, but we also dont have an elite no.10 type player who excels at it.

Or maybe its not a no.10 we need, but a huge, monster type striker who is a proper threat from crosses when its needed against packed defences/boxes?

i dunno, just thinking out loud.

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i know we need a RB, but i wonder if we need a genuine top quality no.10 type player.

When teams play a defensive low block against us, we can struggle to break teams down at times, and as we continue to do well, some teams will sit deeper and deeper against us to try and nullify our quick transitions.

i think one area we lack currently is that no.10 type who can unlock defences when the opposition has 11 man behind the ball, we arent "bad" at it, but we also dont have an elite no.10 type player who excels at it.

Or maybe its not a no.10 we need, but a huge, monster type striker who is a proper threat from crosses when its needed against packed defences/boxes?

i dunno, just thinking out loud.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

only I can say "big players"....I have patented it....even Unai calls me, to ask if he can mention it, when called upon.

PS headers constitute c17% of all goals scored on average, depending on the season.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 2

Which title contender has a backup striker?  Chelsea are going back in January for another striker. So that market is going to be crazy inflated. No way we find any available player at a decent value. 

6 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Which title contender has a backup striker?  Chelsea are going back in January for another striker. So that market is going to be crazy inflated. No way we find any available player at a decent value. 

Every club in top football is going to try for Serhou Guirassy thanks to his €20m release clause.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Every club in top football is going to try for Serhou Guirassy thanks to his €20m release clause.

Would want starting 11 wages and given where we are as a revenue producing club that would kill our ffp.

Duran has been with Emrey for almost a year now.  He is well schooled on requirements of our system. Any new striker would cost a bucket load and have to plug in immediately to make his purchase worthwhile.  I think we have to roll with Duran as the alternative if Watkins were to be out long term this season. 

11 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Which title contender has a backup striker?  

Liverpool - Nunez and Gakpo

City - Haaland and Alvarez

Arsenal - Jesus and Nkeitah 

All have played in the striker role this season and can be easily described as striker.

• Like 1

Just now, Rightdm00 said:

Would want starting 11 wages and given where we are as a revenue producing club that would kill our ffp.

Duran has been with Emrey for almost a year now.  He is well schooled on requirements of our system. Any new striker would cost a bucket load and have to plug in immediately to make his purchase worthwhile.  I think we have to roll with Duran as the alternative if Watkins were to be out long term this season. 

Yeah I think it's zero chance he ends up here.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Moving forward, the football intelligence of our team, is paramount, the quickness of thought, the reaction time, and the speed at which we identify an opportunity, has us where we are.

Unai, will be on it, like a stock trader.

New criteria, will be sought, in identifying new recruits, our next phase of development, will dictate that.

We are moving in to a new stratosphere, and the events to come, will endorse this.....The new breed will have to be bright and sharp, to qualify.

What will take us to that next stratosphere... Is them having all the qualities you mentioned .. as well as being big uns as a bonus as well ay???

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Liverpool - Nunez and Gakpo

City - Haaland and Alvarez

Arsenal - Jesus and Nkeitah 

All have played in the striker role this season and can be easily described as striker.

So basically we Have Watkins, Duran, Diaby and Zaniolo all have played striker role as some point this Diaby and Zaniolo out of possession but regardless they are probably in a similar bracket to Gakpo. Eddie Nketiah was in a similar role to Duran few seasons back Arteta kept faith with him despite Arsenal fans thinking they needed a better backup to Jesus.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

So basically we Have Watkins, Duran, Diaby and Zaniolo all have played striker role as some point this Diaby and Zaniolo out of possession but regardless they are probably in a similar bracket to Gakpo. Eddie Nketiah was in a similar role to Duran few seasons back Arteta kept faith with him despite Arsenal fans thinking they needed a better backup to Jesus.

I’m sorry but if Watkins was out for a duration would you want any of them (ours) to be the regular striker? No.  Would you be happy to play Gakpo? Without doubt.  For me anything else is being disingenuous.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I’m sorry but if Watkins was out for a duration would you want any of them (ours) to be the regular striker? No.  Would you be happy to play Gakpo? Without doubt.  For me anything else is being disingenuous.

Tbh I wouldn’t be happy playing Nketiah but Arsenal were last season and it’s partly reason why their title challenge failed. I’d love a striker as good as Watkins in the squad but It isn’t as easy as that I’m afraid Nick.

• Like 3