TheAuthority

A lot of Burnley fans predicting that they'll win this one. They might be well rested, but something can be said for match sharpness and confidence following a couple of big wins. I know that we're only 3 games into the season, but this game should give us some indicator as to how we're going to cope with the Thursday games. A tight win with no injuries would do me just fine...

I’m looking forward to playing them. I think they matched up better against us when they used physicality and an emphasis on set pieces a few seasons ago, if they try to play us on the deck they will be outplayed. We will find space in behind them 

• Like 1

tough game this one if you ask me, they've had a while to prepare, Kompany is a good coach tactically too. Whilst we've got the better players they'll be bang up for it at home and they play good football and are well organised. They'll press and harry us and they move the ball pretty well, we'll probably have to weather an early storm and get stuck in a bit...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

As I recall, Burnley played pretty well against Man City. Created some decent opportunities before Haaland started scoring. They pressed quite aggressively when City played out from the back, too so we'll have to be on point with our build-up play. 

I take your point, but to be clear, City scored within four minutes of the start.

• Haha 1

We're going to have our hands full. Burnley are shirt-pullers and leg clippers, and their defense will make up for in grabbiness, kicks, and in-the-box entanglements what they lack in Pau Torres-like grace on the ball. Their offense is at its best with explosive, stabbing, Buendia-style runs from the left and right midfields. They seem less inclined to run down and around along the wings or do "over-the-top" long balls against the highline like Newcastle did. The seem direct to me. Their biggest goal threat is Zeki Amdouni. He can be very clinical and has many wonder goals in him. He could easily ruin our day. Koleosho is also pretty scary and fast and can get behind defenses almost at will. I could easily see our defenses getting overrun. I think we will have to weather some storms, and we do so, we'll find opportunities. Forget Hibs. This will be nothing like that. Burnley will be confident and be looking to build up a mid-table spot. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I take your point, but to be clear, City scored within four minutes of the start.

Was it that early? Ah well, Burnley were well in the game until 2-0. Everything did all go a bit flat after that.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Was it that early? Ah well, Burnley were well in the game until 2-0. Everything did all go a bit glad after that.

But they kept threatening for a while -- definitely. They're a decent if scrappy side. Only after the second goal is the mood seem to change a bit. So I think you're essentially right.

It’s been a really good six/seven days and the mood shifted to positive again. Our play is a joy to watch and the way we keep the ball in certain situations is really impressive. A lot sterner tests to come for sure but the way in which we blew Everton and Hibs away was great to see.

This won’t be easy but our quality should see us gain another positive result. Can’t see many changes if at all from the side that beat Everton last Sunday:

Martinez

Cash        Konsa       Pau       Digne

Kamara       Luiz                    

Bailey                            McGinn  
                   Diaby                     
                               Watkins 

Subs:  Olsen, Marschall, Revan, Carlos, Chambers, Tielemans, Zaniolo, Traore, Duran 

Where is Dendoncker? Been no real mention of him?

I’m going with a away win but perhaps a tight 1-2 win. Should be a good game. UTV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

It’s been a really good six/seven days and the mood shifted to positive again. Our play is a joy to watch and the way we keep the ball in certain situations is really impressive. A lot sterner tests to come for sure but the way in which we blew Everton and Hibs away was great to see.

This won’t be easy but our quality should see us gain another positive result. Can’t see many changes if at all from the side that beat Everton last Sunday:

Martinez

Cash        Konsa       Pau       Digne

Kamara       Luiz                    

Bailey                            McGinn  
                   Diaby                     
                               Watkins 

Subs:  Olsen, Marschall, Revan, Carlos, Chambers, Tielemans, Zaniolo, Traore, Duran 

Where is Dendoncker? Been no real mention of him?

I’m going with an away win but perhaps a tight 1-2 win. Should be a good game. UTV

Apparently Donk is injured but I don’t remember Unai saying it?

Leander Dendoncker

Reason

Other

Further Detail

Muscular Injury

Potential Return

16/09/2023

Condition

Currently Being Assessed

Status

Ruled Out

• Thanks 1

I think under Kompany they play a more possession based system than they used to (not hard compared to the Dyche set up!) but I think our forwards and midfield will need their running legs on to break up their play. 
They do a back four, than converts to a back three with one of the wing backs pushing in to midfield in possession/attack… remind you of anything!?

I think we’ll win this, but it’ll be a tough grind, maybe a 1-2 to us

• Like 1

This is exactly the type of game we need to be winning. For too many seasons now we've seemed to struggle against sides the fans think we should beat.  Obviously with UE in charge we should be more confident of a win but it'll certainly be a good indicator.

On 23/08/2023 at 17:02, Django_Zooms said:

Burnley will be pleased. On Sunday, Villa will be playing their 3rd match in 7 days, mostly with the same players; Burnley their 1st for 16 days...

Its the fourth game of the season for us, and the last couple of games we haven't really got out of second gear and haven't really played with much intensity and bought on subs quite early, so tiredness is not going to be a factor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually thought Burnley looked ok against City but were abit naive in their approach. Will be a difficult game but we should beat them.

Pressure will be on them to go for the win, and their fans seem to expecting points from the game. I think that works well for Unai, as we know they're unlikely to just sit back.

We'll need to be on our game but, if we are, then we should be able to find space to play through them. Hopefully Ollie can bury whatever chances come his way and I'm backing Bailey to score another.