Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think the Loan was more ffp headroom related and risk management. I think Emery and Monchi wanted him and probably see the potential they want to mould into a top PL player. 

If you look at his underlying stats he's been good and just unlucky not to have had goal or assist yet. Our top 4 performers in npXG + xAG per 90 in order are, Bailey (0.88), Watkins (0.72), Diaby (0.57), Zaniolo (0.42)

So he's done ok in underlying numbers. He's also 2nd to Bailey in progressive carries per 90. For me he just needs that goal or assist to get him his confidence. 

The issue with Zaniolo isn't so much his lack of goals/assists for me, for me, it's more about his positioning and decision-making and how it affects the team in general. I don't think he's made us better in any game he's played and has often been a bit of a black hole in terms of possession - electing to drive forward with the ball and beat a man rather than look for a simple pass to advance it. He really needs to calm down and realise that he doesn't have to wow us so much as be a solid, reliable player that the team can use as an attacking outlet and depend upon. He's got a lot to do to get there. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I think it's been a good idea to take him out the spotlight over the last week. Unai has done it with several players previously including McGinn and Bailey along with a few others when they've struggled. He's also continually brought certain players off on a regular basis until it's clicked for them.

I keep hearing we brought Zaniolo in as a body but I think that's nonsense tbh. Emery doesn't bring in numbers and has never done it anywhere he's been. He brings in profiles which he's stated time and time again and a lot of thought would have gone into the decision making process before bringing Zaniolo here. I'm sure Unai isn't as dismissive of him as some think or he'd never have arrived in the first place with an option to buy.

Over the years we've seen top players come into the PL and look shocking in the first season to then be brilliant once they settled. A few of our own are on that list too, never looking like a PL player that could improve us, until Unai arrived. Not saying Zaniolo will but I think we just have to trust the process, let this one play out and see where he is in May. 

Monchi has stated that the summer transfer window was difficult because he arrived late, so I don't think it's far fetched to think that not every signing would have been his first choice.

23 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Who really cares if he's first choice, second or third? Some of the greatest stories in football history have come off the back of players that were probably never first choice anywhere. I bet, if you went around all the clubs in the world you'd find that most clubs don't get their number one targets for each position. That's just how it is for nearly everyone including Villa, because there is always someone else to offer more. In Zaniolo's case, Monchi already knows him from his time at Roma, so those making the decisions obviously felt and may still do, that he was worth bringing in and could have a future here. Time will tell but I don't think writing him off with less than half a season gone makes much sense, especially with the amount of players we've seen improve massively. 

Every player in the squad has been slated at some point, some ridiculously and continually at times, and yet 3rd in the table is where we reside because of the same players. If ever there was a time to feel content and support everyone, including those struggling, those injured, those not getting games. This is really that time tbh.    

Well said.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

He should be starting Thursday. 

I agree - in the same way  that YT is finally coming good, I am also very confident NZ will come good. He has only been here for a very short while.

I will be very surprised if we are not singing his praises come May.

• Like 1

I'm going to basically support everything the club and it's staff decide to do.  They've earned it 👏

Might make the forum a bit dull, but we can just discuss and agree with how good we are and how many trophies we're going to win instead

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Adman said:

I'm going to basically support everything the club and it's staff decide to do.  They've earned it 👏

Might make the forum a bit dull, but we can just discuss and agree with how good we are and how many trophies we're going to win instead

i have heard from a friend that we are in for Bamford in Jan.

• Haha 3

Â