Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

3 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

As I mentioned earlier - this could so easily be the YT thread, now all of a sudden we are seeing a very different YT - is it not plausible that the same could happen ?

No.

• Haha 1

Needs confidence. Doing too much and not delivering. Unai rates him still. Still a bit of an enigma. But the over-the-top comments in the match thread, including counting his misplaced passes was unnecessary. There's talent there absolutely. I just hope the run of Bailey can show there's still a pathway to the first team. And the return of JJ gives him some motivation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Feels like he is getting worse. The difference between this guy and Bailey is that the latter was still scoring and assisting whilst not playing great. 

Let’s have it right - Bailey is doing well at this moment, however you simply cannot just ignore, that he has also been pretty dreadful for a significant period.

I am willing to give NZ more time to prove himself, as I believe there is a player in there.

I guess all he would ask is for the same level of patience that was afforded to Bailey ? Surely this is not unreasonable is it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Let’s have it right - Bailey is doing well at this moment, however you simply cannot just ignore, that he has also been pretty dreadful for a significant period.

I am willing to give NZ more time to prove himself, as I believe there is a player in there.

I guess all he would ask is for the same level of patience that was afforded to Bailey ? Surely this is not unreasonable is it.

I never thought Bailey was bad as people used to make out and you can’t deny he was still contributing with goals and assists while being ‘dreadful’. 

I agree it would be good if you could be more patient with Zaniola than you were for  Bailey ;)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

It's hard to defend the indefensible but I think he just needs to simplify his game at the moment. One, two touch and move the ball and look for returns. He's very much 3-4 touch and then getting caught. If he want's to turn the corner he really needs to just concentrate on the basics for a while. I think he could be a great player for us, and he's young too but he needs do the basics and worry about goals later.  

I think he's more scared of failing in the PL than anything and it's weighing on him which is why he's been getting worse by the game. He needs a night out on the lash 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

I feel like there are a few differences.

One, Bailey did have an immediate impact on his debut. So at the very least people could refer to that. We haven’t seen that with Zaniolo.

Two, Bailey was playing in a faltering Dean Smith side that was coming to the end. And then played under Steven Gerrard. A certain allowance will be granted because it can be argued he wasn’t being managed correctly. We obviously can’t say the current manager might not be up to scratch to get the best out of Zaniolo.

Three, Bailey’s patchy injury record. Again a certain allowance akin to “Well, he is just coming back from a knock, getting up to speed…”. Don’t really have that with Zaniolo.

Four, and I think this might be at the heart of the misgivings for some. Whether you rate Leon Bailey or not, we bought him outright. He’s our player, we need to get behind him because we’ve spent £25m/30m on him. We are essentially in for a penny, in for a pound with him. Or in for 30 million pounds.

We’ve had to be patient with Leon Bailey, because he’s our player.

That is not the case with Zaniolo. We are currently not in for a penny, in for a pound with him. We are reaching a point when that might be the case, and so far some people don’t think he’s shown enough to warrant us spending £20m/25m whatever. People might think we overpaid for Leon Bailey, but there is nothing we can do about that now. However there is the possibility that we don’t have to spend a large(ish) amount on Zaniolo and people are keen to avoid us making what they think will be a mistake.

Again, for the record, I’m not particularly anti Zaniolo. I’m just unconvinced a permanent transfer will take place based on his performances and Emery’s frequent withdrawals of him.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

Agreed left wing isnt his position but by all account no 10 is. 

Got McGinn and Bailey ahead of him for RW so needs to do more than today in 10 role to earn a place. 

He was playing the Diaby role which isn't a #10 really, but even that isn't his position. He's best where Bailey plays. But he can't get a game there given the form and caliber of Bailey and Diaby so we've had to watch him find his feet in English football in less favourable positions. 

• Like 1

He’s not made the most of his opportunities and is now behind Bailey, Tielemans and Ramsey for that starting spot and for the first sub off the bench.

There’s a player there somewhere but he’s only going to find it harder to get minutes going forward.

looks like he has started 10 games for us, and played in 16 games total, for a grand total of 800ish minutes.

so ppl seem to think the mandatory buy is 25 games? (i assume thats started games and not just "appearances"?)

I wrote off McGinn and Bailey so I'm not going to make the same mistake here. He's doing what they both did in trying too hard to make an impact.

It results in losing possession and looking poor. It's evident the guy has everything needed to succeed physically and technically. Mentally is where it will fully click. 

23 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

I wrote off McGinn and Bailey so I'm not going to make the same mistake here. He's doing what they both did in trying too hard to make an impact.

It results in losing possession and looking poor. It's evident the guy has everything needed to succeed physically and technically. Mentally is where it will fully click.

When will it though? That's the question. He was known for having poor decision making in Italy.

22 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

When will it though? That's the question. He was known for having poor decision making in Italy.

I was told on here his terrible fbref stats were due to limited minutes

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

Â