Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

20 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Has anyone watched Doku at Man City who we all wanted here? I would say that Zaniolo is the better buy. Of course time will tell….

To be fair Doku has done ok for them.

I do like Zaniolo though, as others have said, I feel he has all the ingredients to be a very good PL player.

Just needs one of his rockets to go in.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Has anyone watched Doku at Man City who we all wanted here? I would say that Zaniolo is the better buy. Of course time will tell….

Doku has been good.

Nowadays people deem a transfer a failure if they haven't produced Bellingham numbers in the first 10 games. World's gone mad. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

We haven’t bought him as he’s on loan, but there may be an option to buy at the end of the loan.

11 minutes ago, Strog said:

We haven’t bought him as he’s on loan, but there may be an option to buy at the end of the loan.

Isn't the deal based on us mandatorily buying him iif he plays a certain number of games?

On 09/10/2023 at 05:40, Pinebro said:

Another Traore imo

Nowhere near good enough for a team pushing for top 4 but he will have to do for now till we can get an improvement.

They tend to look down not up. Not aware of their surroundings which results in making the wrong decisions during key moments.

Not sure about this.

The guy is still adapting and getting up to speed. He's been unlucky not to have scored a few thunderbolts so far either.

I'm not actually expecting anything from him until atleast January, but what he's shown so far is promising and why he's going to be vital and lethal once he gets going.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Not sure about this.

The guy is still adapting and getting up to speed. He's been unlucky not to have scored a few thunderbolts so far either.

I'm not actually expecting anything from him until atleast January, but what he's shown so far is promising and why he's going to be vital and lethal once he gets going.

I see his lack of decision making and football IQ and I see similar things.

As been said I hope I am proved wrong but his first impressions leaves me pessimistic.

He might be very skillful and have a lot of flair but the most important thing for a footballer, especially for an attacking player bar none, is his decision making.

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

As been said I hope I am proved wrong but his first impressions leaves me pessimistic.

He might be very skillful and have a lot of flair but the most important thing for a footballer, especially for an attacking player bar none, is his decision making.

I get these concerns, but I think it's a result of the situation we've found ourselves in.

In games where we're struggling to score, and Watkins is having an off day, he's taking the initiative to have a go. In other games we've been comfortable and he's trying his hardest to get his first goal so perhaps then making the odd decision to shoot when he should pass. 

I dont think it's something to worry about yet, and after his first goal flies in I'm sure he'll get the confidence he needs to relax and the right option will be picked by him far more often than not.

15 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair Doku has done ok for them.

I do like Zaniolo though, as others have said, I feel he has all the ingredients to be a very good PL player.

Just needs one of his rockets to go in.

It’s not a criticism of Doku, I wanted him here and have followed him with interest at city. The point is for the hype and £55m there’s not much between them. Yes Doku has scored, but at less than £30m (option) Zaniolo looks good value and suited to this league every bit as much as Doku.

Zaniolo is still very young and acclimatising to the rigours of PL football and Professor Emery; he will hopefully continue to improve and become a good player for Villa.

However signs are decent and he could have easily already scored a couple, he's been unlucky.

• Like 4

I think he's OK, statistically poor given how many goals we're scoring but he's OK, there's definitley something in there it's just a case of if it ever drops for him

I don't think he's "not good enough" but the jury would still be out for me on whether or not we pay the £40m or whatever it was for him but that would also depend on what else monchi can find, easy to say we can just go out and get better (agree Doku has had a better start) but that's not necessarily the reality

He is a step up on what we've had in that squad role in previous years imo but he'll be behind Diaby, Ramsey, Buendia if they were all fit, as a stop gap while Buendia is injured he's fine

Edited by villa4europe

On 11/10/2023 at 09:51, Pinebro said:

This is where schools of thought clash. Most important thing in an attacking player for me, is skill and flair. If I watch a game on the weekend I want to see the skill and flair and things that make you edge forward on your seat. 

Of course the best have both, I would say Grealish was on the level of doing both those things, but they're extremely rare players and extremely expensive. 

Some of the flair that Zaniolo has is unteachable. The bits that he needs to improve on, we've got one of the best coaching staff and manager in world football to make that happen. The guy is very young and has missed a lot of development time due to injury. 

Considering the time out injured, he's played a lot, and at a very high level so far in his career, he's not long 24 and has been a big part of winning teams. Mourinho is well documented as rarely giving youth a chance but Zaniolo is playing and scoring the winning goal in the conference final for him at 22. 

Overall, he's come back from injury in a new league with a new squad and doesn't know the country or any of the squad or coaches. He's played 470 minutes and has nearly scored two absolute worldies. We've won the 3 games he's started in the league, Chelsea and Brighton two of those which aren't exactly guaranteed points. Warsaw is the only outlier but that was bad defending that cost us, we created enough to win. 

I think he's finding his feet and looking good and he's not costing the team with anything he does. I also think Emery likes him and trusts him and that is 90% of the battle won when evaluating a player these days in my opinion. If Emery is on board I am too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I think he's OK, statistically poor given how many goals we're scoring but he's OK, there's definitley something in there it's just a case of if it ever drops for him

I don't think he's "not good enough" but the jury would still be out for me on whether or not we pay the £40m or whatever it was for him but that would also depend on what else monchi can find, easy to say we can just go out and get better (agree Doku has had a better start) but that's not necessarily the reality

He is a step up on what we've had in that squad role in previous years imo but he'll be behind Diaby, Ramsey, Buendia if they were all fit, as a stop gap while Buendia is injured he's fine

Personally think after a few more months he will be a better player for us than Buendia was.

38 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Personally think after a few more months he will be a better player for us than Buendia was.

Will be an interesting one for sure. We won't ever get the very best out of Buendia without a more natural number 9 IMO, but I do think he'd have been much more effective with Diaby's intelligent runs ahead of him.

Zaniolo looks decent but his decision making has been questioned/criticised wherever he's been. That's a concern.

Edited by Tom13

Â