Pre Match Thread: Lions Will Roar

ejs1111

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

A point is very good from this.

After Newcastle have Man. City and Brighton away and Liverpool at home so I'd be confident of being above them by end of September.

Mind you they had a slow start last season and then an amazing run in the winter with Almiron scoring every game.

Its a marathon, not a sprint.....we just need to keep plugging away and picking up wins.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think having isak and wilson the ability to use one as a sub for like for like or bring on one to play both is their strength over us

We only have archer and duran. I think both are young and raw

But we use that second striker role for players like Diaby, Bailey and Buendia. We still have options

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But we use that second striker role for players like Diaby, Bailey and Buendia. We still have options

Bailey and buendia unfortunately dont score enough and as you say are secondary options. If ollie has a stinker or gets injured you need a striker and those strikers are duran and archer. 

Hoping both or one at least can kick on to provide real competition for ollie. Alot of the topa sides have that and we need that too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Bailey and buendia unfortunately dont score enough and as you say are secondary options. If ollie has a stinker or gets injured you need a striker and those strikers are duran and archer. 

Hoping both or one at least can kick on to provide real competition for ollie. Alot of the topa sides have that and we need that too

I agree but we're talking about the first game of the season. I don't think those factors will affect us on Saturday

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I agree but we're talking about the first game of the season. I don't think those factors will affect us on Saturday

Hope so. Correct me if im wrong but when we lost there last year i thibk ollie missed a couple chances at 0-0 and then once the first went in he was really bad. Got to him.

Difference at villa park when he scored they couldnt handle him

19 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I still think on paper we are better than them all over the pitch

Luckily the game is played on grass 😂😉

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

A point is very good from this.

After Newcastle have Man. City and Brighton away and Liverpool at home so I'd be confident of being above them by end of September.

Mind you they had a slow start last season and then an amazing run in the winter with Almiron scoring every game.

Miggy scares the **** out of me. That boy is hungry for goals and does not slow down.  

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

This lot are shite and they'll end up lower top half this season which is more reflective of their squad.

4 goal win and Targett to punch Howe.

Honestly impossible to tell when people are trolling or not these days.

• Haha 2

I have no idea whether we win this, but I have a cool conspiracy theory (and that is all it is, just a thought I sometimes ponder) about why we might win.

My intuition feels that there is a little more to Newcastles levels than player ability and tactics. It feels kind of unnatural, the transformation in their players and I guess I am always suspicious of teams that employ an intense press. I suspect it may be a tactic employed that works successfully with players on perhaps the run harder juice. I would speculate that there it is perhaps understood in football that there are certain managers more open to this (Eddie Howe and Guardiola both have a history I wouldn't be surprise if Arteta did as well under Guardiola, or Klopp who certainly seems to have perfected the cult of personality trait). The spurs game was a bit suggestive, spurs were useless but that was something else. Why do I think we win this? When we played Newcastle at Villa Park that wasn't the Newcastle that played most other teams around that time. I kind of wonder whether the reason Unai Emery didn't take up the Newcastle job was because they asked him if he would be down with that approach, and he perhaps wasn't. Perhaps there were non-disclosure agreements, but I wonder whether when Newcastle played an Emery team, they were like, guys we gotta chill out a bit here. Dude knows our secret weapon. 

And yes I agree this could be filed massively under paranoid.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Seal said:

I have no idea whether we win this, but I have a cool conspiracy theory (and that is all it is, just a thought I sometimes ponder) about why we might win.

My intuition feels that there is a little more to Newcastles levels than player ability and tactics. It feels kind of unnatural, the transformation in their players and I guess I am always suspicious of teams that employ an intense press. I suspect it may be a tactic employed that works successfully with players on perhaps the run harder juice. I would speculate that there it is perhaps understood in football that there are certain managers more open to this (Eddie Howe and Guardiola both have a history I wouldn't be surprise if Arteta did as well under Guardiola, or Klopp who certainly seems to have perfected the cult of personality trait). The spurs game was a bit suggestive, spurs were useless but that was something else. Why do I think we win this? When we played Newcastle at Villa Park that wasn't the Newcastle that played most other teams around that time. I kind of wonder whether the reason Unai Emery didn't take up the Newcastle job was because they asked him if he would be down with that approach, and he perhaps wasn't. Perhaps there were non-disclosure agreements, but I wonder whether when Newcastle played an Emery team, they were like, guys we gotta chill out a bit here. Dude knows our secret weapon. 

And yes I agree this could be filed massively under paranoid.

We would never know. Some were speculating Leicester may have been on some kind of enhancement gear but who knows?