Pre Match Thread: Lions Will Roar

ejs1111

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What i find interesting is whats going to happen with Tielemans. Surely has to start but that would mean luiz or mcginn dropped ans cant see eithee dropped

Why would we need to drop McGinn or Luiz?

9 minutes ago, Enda said:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Digne

Kamara Tielemans

McGinn Luiz

Buendia Watkins

for me at least. Switch sides as you like, but I think that’s the most likely to keep a clean sheet and score. Bringing Diaby on after 60 mins to terrorize tired legs, and Pau and Chambers on for the final few minutes to see the game out.

I could live with this.

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Why would we need to drop McGinn or Luiz?

Who do we drop? Emery doesnt play 4 cm

The other option is kamara and he is undroppable for what he does.

I cant see emery playong luiz mcginn kamara and Tielemans 

This will be seriously tough. Saturday at 5.30 - them riding high and wanting payback for our 3-0 demolition. We always struggle up there. Their strength is midfield, but I’m struggling to pick any of theirs over any of ours. I fancy us to win 2-1. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Who do we drop? Emery doesnt play 4 cm

Emery very often played four CM last season.

Last season we played Kamara, Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey quite regularly as our midfield box, with Moreno providing width on the left and Bailey or Buendia supporting the striker.

We might well see more three man midfields this season, at least until Moreno is back, as we'll need to find someone to replace his attacking threat, but against Newcastle I think we might settle for something more conservative on the opening day - I think it's likely all of Kamara, Luiz, McGinn and Tielemans could start.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Emery very often played four CM last season.

Last season we played Kamara, Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey quite regularly as our midfield box, with Moreno providing width on the left and Bailey or Buendia supporting the striker.

We might well see more three man midfields this season, at least until Moreno is back, as we'll need to find someone to replace his attacking threat, but against Newcastle I think we might settle for something more conservative on the opening day - I think it's likely all of Kamara, Luiz, McGinn and Tielemans could start.

On that basis then i assums buendia and bailey/diaby drop out. 

He might opt for that vs Newcastle to frustrate them as they will want a quick start and take the game to us. But i think thats risky. I think we should go attack them. Even last season undee danks we lost badly but we missed a couple good opportunities to take lead before we imploded 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

On that basis then i assums buendia and bailey/diaby drop out. 

Yep, we'd play one of those three, presumably Diaby.

It'll be interesting, Emery is a very clever manager and I have confidence he'll find a blend to trouble them - I think we miss Moreno, but we've got a lot of different ways to get the job done now.

• Like 3

We need to be prepared for getting zero decision.  Remember last season what animals their fans were. Slightest contact on their player they wnated red cards. Then booing our players who were genuinely injured and got subbed. 

We didnt get any decisions go our way there last season. We gonna have to be strong and patient 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We need to be prepared for getting zero decision.  Remember last season what animals their fans were. Slightest contact on their player they wnated red cards. Then booing our players who were genuinely injured and got subbed. 

We didnt get any decisions go our way there last season. We gonna have to be strong and patient 

If I remember rightly this seems to be a product of their coaching staff, bemoaning every referee and linesman decision.

Think the team are very aggressive too and seem to influence decisions a great deal; lots of luck went their way. Funny that with the Saudi ownership and British government influence; perhaps I put two plus two together incorrectly but you do wonder sometimes.

• Like 1

Something like this would be in keeping with what seemed to work best in preseason, at least as far as I can work out? I think Buendia may have been more tucked in and McGinn higher up. Having Tielemans, JPB, Carlos, Cash on hand as impact subs is amazing, too. Coutinho maybe, too. Not sure about Bailey right now. 

image.png.00db11dc7d5d1ddd29c099aa02db8284.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos

The new ruling should be helpful in avoiding the influence of their coaching staff on the referee - only one person is now allowed out in the technical area, with the others needing to remain on the bench - Newcastle had both of their chaps on the sidelines last season.

• Thanks 1

Risky but ... I have a fondness for asymmetrical set-ups.  In this set-up, Digne is a little more LB, and JPG is end--to-end RWB. Tielemans is picking out forward passes to a range of possibilities.

image.png.5b7cde2048f50e6488c76fa64a088167.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos

5 hours ago, Enda said:

Buendia to start over Diaby, anyone? He’s been more impressive pre-season.

Diaby as a super-sub for the first few weeks?

and he's pretty good with defensive duties, which is important against a side like newcastle

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Risky but ... I have a fondness for asymmetrical set-ups.  In this set-up, Digne is a little more LB, and JPG is end--to-end RWB. Tielemans is picking out forward passes to a range of possibilities.

image.png.5b7cde2048f50e6488c76fa64a088167.png

No Boubs?

3 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

I am not looking forward to the fan response if we don’t win this. 

Eh? A point away to a current CL team and at a venue where we haven't won since 2005 would be excellent so don't see where the hysteria will come from.

Unless we blow a 3-0 lead or concede in 105th minute.

If we lose so be it but we can make up points in the other games.

We did lose four of our first 5 games last season under you know who and were very close to finishing top 6 in the end so nothing is decided in August/September in terms of the league.

3 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

I am not looking forward to the fan response if we don’t win this. 

Losing to Newcastle in Newcastle is different than being trashed by Bournemouth in the opening match. Fans will complain if we lose, but it will be nothing like last year.

If we have 11 points after 11 matches, it’s our best start of the season in years. That what fans should remember if they feel the need to complain too much.

If we had Emery for the whole of last season we would be the team in CL and not Newcastle. I believe we are the better team, but in football the best team do not always win. If we play well, and score five goals and keep a clean sheet, I would happy.

• Like 1

As well as Tielemans has played, Emery did not play all 3 of them the whole preseason. 

I’d be shocked if he suddenly did that for the first match. 

In addition, while McGinn and JJ are “center mids”, they are versatile and dynamic to play other positions - a key tenant for the team this year. 

Whereas I think it would be a waste of their talents to play Luiz, Kamara, or Tielemans anywhere but the double pivot. 

• Like 2