Pre Match Thread: Lions Will Roar

ejs1111

We’ve struggled badly with the first game of the season ever since we came back up. We’ve lost three of the last four - it was ridiculous how unprepared the team was against Bournemouth last season (and Watford under smith for that matter). Going to be a nervy one as both teams have high hopes going into this season and a defeat would be sore. Reckon we’ll play out a tentative draw.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MagInPeace said:

We’ve got two games this weekend so he has split the squad. Pope will play in tomorrows game. 

Our pre season has been solid if unspectacular. Our best performance was probably Fiorentina today, with our worst performance the game against yourself.

Best players in pre season have been Miley (17 years old) and Anderson.

Targett has looked a bit shaky at the back and Schar has had a knock. Willock will miss the game through injury and Longstaff is just coming back from a layoff.

I don’t imagine Tonali and Barnes will start next week. I imagine we’ll line up like this:

Starting: Pope, Trippier, Schar, Botman, Burn, Bruno, Joelinton, Anderson, Gordon, Isak, Almiron.

Subs: Dubravka, Livramento/Targett, Lascelles, Tonali, Longstaff, Miley, Murphy, Barnes, Wilson.

Welcome maginpeace. Its always good to get a neutral opinion. What do you think of villas business so far and how we look under emery?

I have to say i think newcastle have done better than i expected. I thought you would get top 6 but top 4 this quickly is a incredible achievement despite spending big. How many times we seen clubs spent big and not be able to do it?

Edited by Demitri_C

Dont think i can remember a bigger first game of the season in recent memory . Somehow it means a lot more than it should. Eddie Howe hated the 3 nil loss in the league. Just as we hated the 4 nil loss earlier in the season. Howe admits that our midfield does give them problems and i hope to see us use that part of our team to try and control the game in mid. 

Going to be a tough game for both teams . Very equally matched in terms of talent .  High lines will prevail and some scares for both teams will happen ...that said.. 0-0 and i would be happy . More than happy. 

5 hours ago, villan95 said:

Think I would go the same but maybe with Diaby and McGinn swapped around, although Diaby up against Burn could be funny 😅

Tielemans and Coutinho to come on and change the game if needed.

3 hours ago, picicata said:

Same, though McGinn and Diaby would be swapped. Tielemans could consider himself very unlucky not to start though

I think out of possession, Diaby will remain up top as McGinn is better cover playing RM. 

In possession, McGinn can use his arse shield to hold up the ball in the half spaces so I think he plays more in the 8/10 role though he did give Burn a torrid time at VP out wide. 

With Buendia and McGinn in the side, I think they lack pace out wide if Diaby doesn’t play the wide right role. 

The beauty is that McGinn and Diaby are versatile enough to interchange if needed 

Edited by DJBOB

Newcastle got quite a tough start looking at their opening fixtures. After us they have Man. City away, Liverpool at home and Brighton away, took one point from those games last season.

A win up there would be a huge statement but would be happy with a point as it's that away ground for us where we seem to implode every year as soon as we concede a goal.

fiending for this game tbh, then its only 14 days until i'm back at VP again singing from the stands. Would love to see us start with a win, but would be delighted with a draw given our form up there over the years. 6 points from this and Everton would be ideal

• Like 1

Given our record up at St James Park and with it being the first game of the season I can see us losing this by the odd goal.

Obviously hope to be wrong and it would be great for us to get at least a point. Either way I expect a big improvement on our last visit there!

54 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I love how difficult it is to predict a starting line up for this - the players must be absolutely busting a gut to try to impress.

I'd go:

--------------------------Martinez----------------------------

Cash-----------Konsa----------Mings---------Digne

------------------Kamara-------Tielemans-------------

------------------------------------------Luiz-------------------

---------------------McGinn----------------------------------

Diaby----------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------Watkins----------------------

And our bench would include Pau Torres, Diego Carlos, Buendia and Coutinho - that's quite something isn't it?

I think that Unai is going to go with Pau at LB although if I’m honest I would go for the lineup that you have put there as I like the balance of playing actual full backs in the full back positions, or at least I do away against a tough opponent like Newcastle. That said, Unai is a better manager than I am! 😂

Edited by Woody1000
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I love how difficult it is to predict a starting line up for this - the players must be absolutely busting a gut to try to impress.

I'd go:

And our bench would include Pau Torres, Diego Carlos, Buendia and Coutinho - that's quite something isn't it?

I agree with you that we are a hard team to call at the moment. I get the feeling we will start with this:

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Pau

Luiz Kamara

Youri McGinn 

Diaby Watkins

I think we’ll go for Mings at LCB for stability and a bit of height. We will ask Cash to push on knowing we have 3 centre backs. Luiz and Kamara are certs, I think we need both for a stable base. Both Youri and SJM can fill in at CM if Luiz pushes forward. Diaby and Watkins are going to fire this season. 

Edited by Herman22
  • Like 1

I never look forward to us going to 'Byker Grove' land. I'm afraid I could see another Newcastle win at least 2-1. Its always Newcastle we never do well at St James' Park but let's hope I'm wrong.

Offset 4-2-2-2 (4-1-1-2-1-1) for me with JPB, Carlos, Cash, Tielemans, Coutinho as subs         

Martinez

Konsa  Mings  Torres  Digne

Kamara       
                             Luiz

McGinn                 Buendia

Diaby
                       Watkins

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd go:

I like this, too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, picicata said:

Same, though McGinn and Diaby would be swapped. Tielemans could consider himself very unlucky not to start though

Yeah, Tielemans was great in pre-season so I agree he'll be very unlucly if he doesn't start. But Buendía has also been great so it's difficult to choose between them. :s

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Enda said:

Buendia to start over Diaby, anyone? He’s been more impressive pre-season.

Diaby as a super-sub for the first few weeks?

Bo chance diaby starts.

What i find interesting is whats going to happen with Tielemans. Surely has to start but that would mean luiz or mcginn dropped ans cant see eithee dropped

• Like 1

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Digne

Kamara Tielemans

McGinn Luiz

Buendia Watkins

for me at least. Switch sides as you like, but I think that’s the most likely to keep a clean sheet and score. Bringing Diaby on after 60 mins to terrorize tired legs, and Pau and Chambers on for the final few minutes to see the game out.

• Like 3