Pre Match Thread: Lions Will Roar

ejs1111

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

No Boubs?

Well, my idea -- and I'm anticipating being contacted by Emery this week to go over my recommending thinking, so you've asked about this at a good time lol -- is that Boubs and "Tiels" would be interchangeable in this set-up. I worry about Kamara in terms of injury. He just seems a little prone to them, but he's such an amazing player.   

8 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm a Boubs man myself.

You have a fair point. Boubs can be a little sensitive at times, but handled correctly and tenderly Boubs can get the job done in that position. Then you could just pull him off and have Tiels clean things up at the end.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

Checking out Toon fan forums, here's what I found, FWIW ...

1. They basically think they'll win.
  2. They're proud of their bench and think Howe fooled everyone by not playing full-strength in preseason.
  3. They call us a "good side" but it's clear they think we're the lessers.
  4. Many of them don't think Tonali will start.
  5. Miggy-Isak-Gordon to start with Wilson as striker
  6. They think they have to score early or they'll not beat us.
  7. Our only player who really strikes fear into them is Diaby.
Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

2. They're proud of their bench and think Howe fooled everyone by not playing full-strength in preseason.

Let them undee estimate us its fine.

I think deep done they have a bit of respect foe what we have and have achieved 

I would say they probably are the stronger of the two sides just but not a lot in it. We have spent significantly less than them. I am sure if we spent the money they had and could get away with selling playera to saudi cluba to get away with FFP we would have been even better

• Like 1

About time we put this SJP hoodoo to bed isnt it really. I need that win on Saturday. That excitement and momentum has to be injected into our club Saturday, not them.

Cant beat looking at the table all week and seeing P1 W1 PTS 3

very tough game though, im under no illusions. Hopefully we click and outplay them again. UTV

This could be a real test....my worry is still our Achilles......The ball over the top behind the full backs, for the runners to run on to the crosses.

It has been far too easy in previous games.....stop that, or find a solution, and we have a real chance of something.

Harvey Barnes could be a real thorn in our side on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I think having isak and wilson the ability to use one as a sub for like for like or bring on one to play both is their strength over us

We only have archer and duran. I think both are young and raw

I still have faith in Archer.....I still think game time is the main thing alluding him/them....its a paradox alright.

To build belief in yourself you have to play, its plain to see players improve with game time....JD is still a bit young, and more raw than Cam, needs a loan.

as an example..JJ is a far better player, than the one, who first appeared in the first team, he has had a 100 games for us.....thats a massive filip to his development.

Cam will just click imo....might be Saturday.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I'm worried that we'll get dicked if we bring Torres straight in, even more so if he's in the position he's been playing in the last couple of pre season games. I'd rather we kept the same back 4 as the end of the season and bring him in for the Everton game which should be a lot less riskier to do. 

Thats the biggest question mark does torres play or not? Id save him for thw europe game go with digne at left back

• Like 2

I still think Emery is the better manager; hopefully that is what makes the difference in this match.

Keep them quiet for twenty minutes or so and Villa can win this.

However a draw is a good start and i'd take it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats the biggest question mark does torres play or not? Id save him for thw europe game go with digne at left back

Needs to settle in....Newcastle away is too big a test, too soon.

I think he will be great, for us, not just yet......it took McNaught 20 games to settle, and then pow.

Edited by TRO

The worst possible thing is to concede early. I can see it being a long day if that happens 

We have to start bettee than the last few seasons. That Bournemouth one last season was pathetic. Being 3 down so quickly. 

5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I wouldn't take that as particularly representative. 1 - of course; 2 - first part ok (much stronger bench now), second part nonsense; 3 - yes we think we're a better team, but not vastly better; 4 - I'd be surprised if Tonali starts; 5 - yes, Wilson on bench; 6 - nah; 7 - nah, we've no idea how to handle Watkins, or your passing through the lines.

FWIW Villa are about the last team I would have wanted first match - the type of team we need to beat to be serious top-4 contenders again, but this will be really tough. Our lack of pace at the back is really worrying, and the way Howe had no answers in the 3-0 fills me with dread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The worst possible thing is to concede early. I can see it being a long day if that happens 

We have to start bettee than the last few seasons. That Bournemouth one last season was pathetic. Being 3 down so quickly. 

That was Watford in 2021.

That pre season was a disaster with Grealish leaving, lack of matches and covid still around.

This one has been excellent with good results and no injuries so couldn't have had better preparation. 

• Like 1

A point is very good from this.

After Newcastle have Man. City and Brighton away and Liverpool at home so I'd be confident of being above them by end of September.

Mind you they had a slow start last season and then an amazing run in the winter with Almiron scoring every game.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

This could be a real test....my worry is still our Achilles......The ball over the top behind the full backs, for the runners to run on to the crosses.

It has been far too easy in previous games.....stop that, or find a solution, and we have a real chance of something.

Harvey Barnes could be a real thorn in our side on Saturday.

I think we would have seen Schar pinging balls over your high line all day long, but he's unlikely to play, so he'll be a big miss.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OzyBoy said:

I think we would have seen Schar pinging balls over your high line all day long, but he's unlikely to play, so he'll be a big miss.

Yeah join the growing club of players doing it.....Rashford had a field day, in the Carabao cup, last season.

If we can fix that?....you might have a job on your hands.