Pre Match Thread: Lions Will Roar

ejs1111

15 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I think Unai wants to start Pau but can he really start over Mings? Pau at LB against Almiron and Trippier is a non-starter for me.

The more I think about it, the more I can't unsee this lineup. It's a good balance of defensive resilience at a hostile away ground but enough attacking output to put together some moves.

Martinez

Cash-Konsa-Mings-Digne

McGinn-Kamara-Luiz-Buendia

Diaby-Watkins

Imagine being able to bring on Pau Torres and Tielemans to see out a game.

Martinez

Konsa - Mings - Pau

Cash

Kamara

McGinn - D. Luiz - Buendia

Diaby

Watkins

We'll win 3 - 1

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ll be amazed if he doesn’t stick to last seasons back 4 based on who’s available. 

I'd be amazed if he did that

How much would we have to pay Everton for Ashley Young? (or who is the miracle worker that's going to repair Moreno early?

• Haha 3

Seen some made takes on the Newcastle forum, this one takes the cake:

“They've got a better squad but we've got a better manager. Home advantage should tip things our way, but it'll be close.”

Edited by duke313
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Seen some made takes on the Newcastle forum, this one takes the cake:

“They've got a better squad but we've got a better manager. Home advantage should tip things our way, but it'll be close.”

0_GettyImages-1169577418 copy.jpeg

Edited by Marka Ragnos

With the horrendous news that Buendia has suffered a bad knee injury, our left side is really worrisome.

I wonder if we see Tielemans in and either him or Dougie moved to that advanced/left sided midfield role now. Might be a big ask for JPB to start day 1. Coutinho maybe?

Big blow and a big call to be made by Emery in the very first weekend.

Strange how one player going out affects the downstream ability to play Newcastle.

I know a lot of people think that Youri/Luiz/Kamara can play together and in a pinch, I can see Unai making it happen but it doesn't work as well for Newcastle. Tielemans has great touch and vision but can not get rid of his marker like even Luiz can so I really don't see him playing out wide.

JJ being out is a huge blow to building up the way we want to as well. Coutinho would be the like for like replacement but he's barely played more than 25 minutes - how much more against a harsh Newcastle press - so I think it will be up to Bailey or Philogene. Bailey is the natural pick, but Unai has trusted Philogene to start with the first XI several times this pre-season. Seems mad, but I'd go with this lineup.

Martinez

Cash-Konsa-Mings-Digne

Philogene-Kamara-Luiz-McGinn

Diaby-Watkins

This is where the ultra-utility of McGinn can shine. Outside of defense, he can play 5 out of the 6 midfield and attacker positions.

Edited by DJBOB

14 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

i think we need to throw Bidace in, he will rise to the challenge, just needs the opportunity. Fantastic opportunity for the lad and great defensive work ethic to get up and down the pitch

I don't think Newcastle away is the game to play Bidace in his first ever PL start. He's only ever played 2 PL games for us and both of those were a few minutes at the end of a match.  Let's ease him in gently over the season.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I don't think Newcastle away is the game to play Bidace in his first ever PL start. He's only ever played 2 PL games for us and both of those were a few minutes at the end of a match.  Let's ease him in gently over the season.

I think we need a wildcard like him in there, especially now that Buendia wont feature. I get the reasoning though and its likely that Emery will see it that way