Pre Match Thread: Lions Will Roar

ejs1111

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Part of why I'm very concerned if we do decide to go with Pau at LB.

Feels like one of those potential nightmare debut games where the pace will just hit him after 10 minutes and he won't recover.

Just play safe and go with Digne who is experienced enough to cope.

Then introduce Pau v Everton.

I agree. Digne knows exactly what to expect there, and with Tyrone close by, there's experience and solidity. 

I’m nervous about this one. They can be relentless at home and as some have mentioned playing at home first game is massive too. The crowd will be a 12th man. We’ve looked woefully unprepared for the past 2 seasons first games but there’s no way that will be the case for this one.  It’s a really tough one to call.

• Like 1

Under Emery I’m confident we can gain a positive result in any game now and be correctly prepared for every game. This will be a really tough opener though and they’ll be looking for revenge from the Villa Park game in April.

I don’t see many risks with the formation or personnel for this one and our new recruits will get plenty of games/minutes over the next few games. However, Tielemans can consider himself very unlucky not to start our season opener:

Martinez

Cash       Konsa           Mings       Digne

Kamara         Luiz

McGinn                         Buendia

Diaby      
                                   Watkins

Subs:  Olsen, Pau, Carlos, Chambers, Dendoncker, Tielemans, Coutinho, Bailey, Archer. 

I’m going with a mad 2-2 draw, but I also think we could take this 2-3.  UTV

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Under Emery I’m confident we can gain a positive result in any game now and be correctly prepared for every game. This will be a really tough opener though and they’ll be looking for revenge from the Villa Park game in April.

I don’t see many risks with the formation or personnel for this one and our new recruits will get plenty of games/minutes over the next few games. However, Tielemans can consider himself very unlucky not to start our season opener:

Martinez

Kamara         Luiz

Diaby      
                                   Watkins

Subs:  Olsen, Pau, Carlos, Chambers, Dendoncker, Tielemans, Coutinho, Bailey, Archer. 

Thats the team i think he will go with but i think dendonker wont be on the bench. I think JPB will make the bench and he deserves to

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats the team i think he will go with but i think dendonker wont be on the bench. I think JPB will make the bench and he deserves to

I don’t disagree re JPB, but I can’t see Emery having four forward thinking players on the bench away from home. 

I'm surprised where he's tried to play Torres in pre-season, unless we sold the idea of him being a left back in Emery's system to him during the signing. 

If we didn't, then I can't see him being very happy not to start centre back first game. Nor can I see Emery not starting him somewhere given his adoration of him. 

I think Konsa is going to right back and Pau is partnering Mings in the middle. Cash will be missing out. 

I also think Tielemans deserved a start, but not sure who I'd drop him for. Maybe Kamara based on pre-season form but seems a bit offensive for an away game against Newcastle.

Emery has got his work cut out for him now!

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Martinez

Kamara         Luiz

Diaby      
                                   Watkins

Would be my team also, very risky throwing Torres in away at Newcastle; ease him into the side, this is one of the toughest away fixtures of the season imo so I would go with tried and trusted. 

Not entirely sure what to expect from Newcastle, so I’m going to say 2-1 Villa win. Diaby and Watkins to get the goals

24 minutes ago, Dirtysanchez said:

Would be my team also, very risky throwing Torres in away at Newcastle; ease him into the side, this is one of the toughest away fixtures of the season imo so I would go with tried and trusted. 

Not entirely sure what to expect from Newcastle, so I’m going to say 2-1 Villa win. Diaby and Watkins to get the goals

I think that thw big question is will be gordon or barnes starting. I reckon they will start with gordon and isak ahead of wilson and barnes.

53 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I don’t disagree re JPB, but I can’t see Emery having four forward thinking players on the bench away from home. 

Yeah you could be right but JPB probably can add something on his current form

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings - Pau

McGinn - Kamara - D. Luiz - Buendia

Diaby - Watkins

• I don't think we start with both Cash and Digne away at Newcastle. Can see Digne coming on later in the game if we're chasing a result.
  • Think Buendia gets the nod on the left hand side - will get replaced by Coutinho/JPB/Tielemans in the second half depending on the state of the game.
  • Forward line picks itself. Can see Diaby and McGinn shifting roles on that right hand side during the game.

And will be nice to have a full bench of options!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wes said:

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings - Pau

McGinn - Kamara - D. Luiz - Buendia

Diaby - Watkins

• I don't think we start with both Cash and Digne away at Newcastle. Can see Digne coming on later in the game if we're chasing a result.
  • Think Buendia gets the nod on the left hand side - will get replaced by Coutinho/JPB/Tielemans in the second half depending on the state of the game.
  • Forward line picks itself. Can see Diaby and McGinn shifting roles on that right hand side during the game.

And will be nice to have a full bench of options!

Think that'll be the lineup but with Digne rather than Cash, with Konsa at RB.

Martinez 

Cash   Konsa   Mings   Digne

Dougie   Kamara  Tielemans 

Mcginn

Diaby 

Watkins 

Think we will get something here really think Emery has Eddie Howes number, don't think he knows how to stop playing through them.

Hard to predict given all the options that Unai has, but if I had to guess what he'll do, I'd say...

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Pau

McGinn Kamara Doug Buendia

Diaby Watkins

However, I would not be at all surprised by a different backline (Cash Konsa Mings Digne or Konsa Mings Pau Digne), Tielemans for Kamara, switching Diaby and McGinn, or Bailey for Buendia.

Things that would surprise me would be JPB starting (too much pressure for a youngster in the first game), Diaby not starting (he probably hasn't settled, but he cost too much not to start), or starting all three of Doug, Kamara, and Tielemans (I agree with DJBob...from pre-season, Unai clearly intends to alternate those three in the double pivot).

• Like 1