Pre Match Thread: Lions Will Roar

ejs1111

Funny thing is non-Villa people are going to have watched the US tour and seen how lovely we play... but then saw all the goals we conceded and thought Villa are going to struggle.  Few ppl are thinking that we just were soft on the press in the US due to tactics and/or the heat- which made our high line vulnerable.  Likely nobody watched us dominate Lazio aside from Villa fans.  I think the Premier League will be in for a shock when they see a fully fit and firing AVFC side after having UE preseason drilled into them.  UTV

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Naturally 

But no completely agree it's probably the most excited I've been going into a season. I mentioned in another thread how reassuring it is to know everything is being analysed from matches and the team are being prepared properly going into matches.

• Like 2

This will be a fascinating and difficult early test of the new-look Villa and it'll be interesting to see how Emery tactically approaches a side we just played. I think our boys go in there thinking they'll win it.

And I think they will too.

2-3 to the Villa.

Edited by maqroll

4 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

How have the Barcodes faired in preseason?

Currently beating Fiorentina 1-0.

I don't think Nick Pope has featured at all in pre season for them so looks like Dubravaka starting next weekend.

Not sure if they've got injuries but Murphy and Miley starting for them and they're both youth players which is interesting at this stage of the season.

We need to swarm around Tonali and see how quickly he picks up the pace of the prem as coming from Serie A he'll be far more use to slower tempo.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Currently beating Fiorentina 1-0.

I don't think Nick Pope has featured at all in pre season for them so looks like Dubravaka starting next weekend.

Not sure if they've got injuries but Murphy and Miley starting for them and they're both youth players which is interesting at this stage of the season.

We need to swarm around Tonali and see how quickly he picks up the pace of the prem as coming from Serie A he'll be far more use to slower tempo.

We’ve got two games this weekend so he has split the squad. Pope will play in tomorrows game. 

Our pre season has been solid if unspectacular. Our best performance was probably Fiorentina today, with our worst performance the game against yourself.

Best players in pre season have been Miley (17 years old) and Anderson.

Targett has looked a bit shaky at the back and Schar has had a knock. Willock will miss the game through injury and Longstaff is just coming back from a layoff.

I don’t imagine Tonali and Barnes will start next week. I imagine we’ll line up like this:

Starting: Pope, Trippier, Schar, Botman, Burn, Bruno, Joelinton, Anderson, Gordon, Isak, Almiron.

Subs: Dubravka, Livramento/Targett, Lascelles, Tonali, Longstaff, Miley, Murphy, Barnes, Wilson.

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I think it will be:

Cash, Konsa, Mings, Digne

Diaby, Kamara, Luiz, Buendia

McGinn, Watkins

Very attacking formation without a goalkeeper, kind of like it

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I think it will be:

McGinn, Watkins

Think I would go the same but maybe with Diaby and McGinn swapped around, although Diaby up against Burn could be funny 😅

Tielemans and Coutinho to come on and change the game if needed.

9 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I think it will be:

McGinn, Watkins

Same, though McGinn and Diaby would be swapped. Tielemans could consider himself very unlucky not to start though