The Best Chippy

Marka Ragnos

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Southern fried chicken and kebabs I can understand but surely scallops are a national thing?!

That's mad, never occurred to me

I've seen potato scallops in Yorkshire and the South West. But they go by different names around the country. 

The chippies near me in Cheshire sell 'smack' (which caused a double take when I first saw it), which is a fried and battered potato slice.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2023 at 07:10, Rds1983 said:

I've seen potato scallops in Yorkshire and the South West. But they go by different names around the country. 

The chippies near me in Cheshire sell 'smack' (which caused a double take when I first saw it), which is a fried and battered potato slice.

smack barm pea wet

• Confused 1

I’ve always called them a scallop but when I first got with Mrs F (Black Country lass), she is adamant that they were always called a “Klondike or Klondyke”. Now I’ve never ever seen them called this in a chippy, but she assures me she’s right.

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

I’ve always called them a scallop but when I first got with Mrs F (Black Country lass), she is adamant that they were always called a “Klondike or Klondyke”. Now I’ve never ever seen them called this in a chippy, but she assures me she’s right.

I feel your pain

it is true

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

As I live in Devon by the sea there's loads but for me it's always been Crispies. Regular chips or their orange coated chips. Also cook the fish batter how I like it, slightly fluffy with a bit of crispness at the ends.

Nothing worse than overcooked batter when you only have a chippy meal 2 or 3 times a year.

Edited by brummybloke

8 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’m sure this take will get some heat but almost all chippies fall into two categories and within that category they are all practically identical: shite and decent. 

When my last decent chippy closed down I went on a extensive hunt for a replacement. Went through all the chippies in Hall Green then radiated outwards. 

There were probably 15 - 20 chippies in that search radius before I got to Dovehouse Parade. All of them shit. 

The worst was the nearest to my house School Road Fishbar, it was awful. 

What amazed me with all these chippies was a) how is it possible to make chips so badly, and in so many establishments and b) who the hell is going to these places and buying these awful chips, and in enough quantities to keep them all open. 

• Like 2

A relatively famous one, but I did think Papa's lived up to the hype. I've been to the one on the pier in Cleethorpes a few times, and it's been great on every occasion. 

Really good gluten free options too. 

11 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I just remembered the chippy next to Tommies. 6th form lunches sorted. They were good too.

Wychall Fish bar.

First place I ever had a Balti pie. 

On 27/07/2023 at 07:10, Rds1983 said:

Where in Cheshire? I've lived up here for years and never seen that on the menu.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Where in Cheshire? I've lived up here for years and never seen that on the menu.

I saw it in Nantwich, near Crewe.

Not sure about anywhere else.

Â