The Best Chippy

Marka Ragnos

5 hours ago, legov said:

Cod is pretty rare down under, envy you guys.

I miss barramundi. Maybe not for fish and chips, but for the near universal guarantee of a decent piece of fish for a meal. And it’s ok in fish and chips.

• Like 2

On 28/07/2023 at 16:34, ferguson1 said:

I’ve always called them a scallop but when I first got with Mrs F (Black Country lass), she is adamant that they were always called a “Klondike or Klondyke”. Now I’ve never ever seen them called this in a chippy, but she assures me she’s right.

I’m from the Black Country and have never heard that… it’s a scallop

9 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m from the Black Country and have never heard that… it’s a scallop

We had family bash last night for her old man and his brother wife etc all from Wolverhampton, Willenhall, Wednesfield and surrounding areas and they all confirmed that Klondike’s were a thing. Maybe it’s an age thing?

• Like 1

There was a chippy in Waterloo where I used to live that did this unique thing called a spitfire, it was essentially a piece of cod with a scallop on top and another on the bottom, then deep fried in batter. The chippy had been there for three generations, they invented this thing and you could only get them in there, people would come from afar just to get them. What I don’t understand is why no-one has ever replicated it, even in the locality the chippy used to be in. They were magnificent

8 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Bet a potato scallop (AKA fritter, or have I made that up?) costs at least a quid these days.

Orange chips in Devon too? Great news if they are spreading nationwide.

Just did a check on a single place near me. 99p for a scallop. 4.80 for a medium battered chips. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

There was a chippy in Waterloo where I used to live 

USED to live? I thought you couldn't escape if you wanted to? 

• Like 1

Staying in Crantock, Cornwall at the moment and we had Francines chippy from Newquay last night. Very nice, but came to £40 for the four of us (two adults and two kids), so quite expensive. Cooked in beef dripping apparently. 

• Like 1

Have to agree with @fightoffyour, the best chippy near me is Aldridge Chippy. 

Had various things off the menu and liked everything. The mini fish, chips and curry sauce with a mini sausage/scallop/hot wing for £7.85 is great value, even if it was £6.25 a year ago! Cost of living innit! 

The last menu I can see from in May '22 had a scallop at 50p and scallop in a bun at 80p, but I'd guess those prices have gone up now.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Battered chips sounds like a heart attack on a plate.

"He died doing what he loved"   ...shovelling greasy battered chips into his fat mouth! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The chippy in Cookley do great battered chips

Something I've not seen discussed on here and will no doubt be controversial...

Chicken Kebab > fish and chips

The first cut of a chicken kebab so that you get the crispy charred bits is king of a chip shop and imo 2nd to only CTM in all take away food

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Have to agree with @fightoffyour, the best chippy near me is Aldridge Chippy. 

Where in Aldridge mate ? Didn't think mere green was that near unless you burble it like a mad un, foot to the floor !

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Staying in Crantock, Cornwall at the moment and we had Francines chippy from Newquay last night. Very nice, but came to £40 for the four of us (two adults and two kids), so quite expensive. Cooked in beef dripping apparently. 

Despite the somewhat dodgy name The Old Albion Inn was a fantastic pub last time I was down that way. 

• Thanks 1

Â