The Best Chippy

Marka Ragnos

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

I just did that, too. Every time I go there, though, the prices have gone up. A year ago it was £7.95 and now £11.50 for large haddock, chips and er, a serving of owt moist.

I actually ended up making a hunters chicken and chips at home as it’s pissing down with rain and didn’t want to go out.

Tomorrow though… 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Ever tried sankeys corner chippy ? My missus is a Burntwood lass and I'd often  call in to SC on the way to her house....either way, I was guaranteed a fish supper 😉

Yep when the others were closed. Not bad. We used to eat there during school lunch time loads, probably just a potato fritter with salt and vinegar for 20p though!

Do you have gravy on your wish supper, either way?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I will add a few to this, away from home, No1 Fish and Chips in Cromer, South Beach Vegas Fish Bar in Hunstanton,

Not anymore.

I agree with you in the late 80's and 90's this place was the dogs bollocks for fish and chips.

However, it's been taken over about 10 years by a coke head who supplies shit to young kids and the whole lot is now a front for his dirty deeds. Avoid it.

The best one for me in Hunstantson on recommendation nowadays is 'Fishers' at the top of hill just as you reach town.

The chips have always been fantastic and nice and thick and crispy coating too. Drowned in salt and vinegar, sitting on the green watching the sunset.... 

The same family also run Henry's Fish & Chip restaurant that is next door to the Princess theatre.

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Not anymore.

I agree with you in the late 80's and 90's this place was the dogs bollocks for fish and chips.

However, it's been taken over about 10 years by a coke head who supplies shit to young kids and the whole lot is now a front for his dirty deeds. Avoid it.

The best one for me in Hunstantson on recommendation nowadays is 'Fishers' at the top of hill just as you reach town.

The chips have always been fantastic and nice and thick and crispy coating too. Drowned in salt and vinegar, sitting on the green watching the sunset.... 

The same family also run Henry's Fish & Chip restaurant that is next door to the Princess theatre.

Really, I was there in 2019 and my experience was excellent. Its based on one experience though but it was enough for me to think that's amongst the best. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Really, I was there in 2019 and my experience was excellent. Its based on one experience though but it was enough for me to think that's amongst the best. 

This wasn't you as well was it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Ever tried sankeys corner chippy ? My missus is a Burntwood lass and I'd often  call in to SC on the way to her house....either way, I was guaranteed a fish supper 😉

My ex Mrs is a Cromer lass, and I’d often call in to the fish market on the way to her house, either way I was guaranteed crabs

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Despite the cultural relevance of Catherine Street in Cardiff as 'chippy alley', Albany Fish Bar on Albany Road gets my nod of appreciation from my time there.

Hmmm. Balti Triangle springs to mind.

4 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already but what's the consensus on here regarding Harry Ramsdens? I was looking forward to trying them when in Bournemouth a few years back. I was left underwhelmed, maybe I was expecting too much, or maybe it was a bad day?

Very, very, very poor man's beef dripping chippy. I think they even cut out the beer dripping when they got famous and expanded. 

Which reminds me.  Black Country Museum surely? Not sure I've ever had better chips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Yep.

I would even recommend visit Sally Ann's that is just outside the fun fair before ever sending anyone to that rats place.

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Bedders, even if it is in Small Heath.

Is it the same though?

I've never been but heard it's a pale imitation 

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

What are people’s thoughts on chippy curry sauce and the types available in chip shops?  Fruity, spicy, mild or hot?

Seems to vary a lot around the country I’ve found. From having the odd sultana and onion, to having some very dark and finding some very spicy.

Personally, I like most as long as it isn’t too watery. Needs to be of a good consistency.

Lashings of it on the fish and chips or just for dipping? 

Well I've no doubts at all about my worst chippy experience 

Llandudno pier.

Big decision between curry sauce and some beautiful looking gravy I'd seen dished out to the person in front of me. Went curry.

I could have screamed when I saw the runny grape and sultana horror show dished out onto my chips. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hmmm. Balti Triangle springs to mind.

7 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I used to live in skegness and that had a chip shop alley, they were all average.

Thanks for the quotes I realised I had fed you all the wrong street name :)

🎶Sweet Catherine Da da da🎶

Glad this thread popped up as I nearly posted in the what you eating thread last night

I'm in Saundersfoot on holiday, went to the chippy right on the seafront, they surprisingly have no competition but I think every pub in town does fish and chips and then more seafood like crab etc so that is the competition

They did cod and chips or sausage and chips, no pies, no chicken, no kebab, £12.95 for cod and chips and then £1.80 for a sauce, I had cod and chips, a peas and a curry (and no I didn't mix them...)

It was superb, I would guess based on my experience* that because of the turnover they had a top of the range fryer and used good quality fat and the end result was that the batter was super light, near tempura, wasn't too much ground rice (got the daughter a battered sausage and they didn't even use ground rice) I'm 95% sure the fish wasn't fresh but still it was top top quality and the curry sauce wasn't the usual chippy style sauce it was fruitier, was actually bang on, it's right up there for best I've had

* 4 and a half years working in a chippy, highs and lows, when I started it was owned by a young Cypriot guy who I think still now has hasburys in haleowen and it was a brilliant shop doing fresh southern chicken, proper flame grilled burgers etc but then got took over by an old Cypriot guy who ran it in to the ground before being sold to some Indians who dragged it to new lows

Can say "secret menu" which blows my mind why this doesn't exist given we live in a world of crazy burgers - chicken kebab meat cheese burgers... Flame grilled cheese burger with then the first cut of a chicken kebab on top, you aren't getting better than that in a chippy

Living up north, we do have some banging fish and chips shops up here, especially on the coast. That said I do miss Brummie chippies, and the fact you can get fried chicken, elephants leg, and in particular scallops. The lack in the availability of scallops where I live is a constant source of woe. I've sat there craving them before now.

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, dAVe80 said:

Living up north, we do have some banging fish and chips shops up here, especially on the coast. That said I do miss Brummie chippies, and the fact you can get fried chicken, elephants leg, and in particular scallops. The lack in the availability of scallops where I live is a constant source of woe. I've sat there craving them before now.

Southern fried chicken and kebabs I can understand but surely scallops are a national thing?!

That's mad, never occurred to me

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Southern fried chicken and kebabs I can understand but surely scallops are a national thing?!

That's mad, never occurred to me

Alas not 😫

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Is it the same though?

I've never been but heard it's a pale imitation 

Could be. The original owners sold up. Apparently, they stipulated to the buyers that the traditions of the place would have to be continued, but I suppose that's easier said than done. My Nan used to take me there as a kid, fish and chips with mushy peas and chopped onions soaked in vinegar, absolutely delicious, it had a really good reputation then.

Edited by sheepyvillian

Â