The Best Chippy

Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Maybe @blandy knows about these places but we always used go visit Bispham or Cleveleys kitchens for fish and chips when up near the grand parents in Fleetwood. Are they still open? Fish and Chips used to be amazing.

In Blackpool, I'd say The Cottage is the one I'd recommend. Website https://cottagefishandchips.co.uk/

Nearer to me, Whelan's in Lytham https://whelansfishandchips.co.uk/ Excellent Gravy.

But the best Fish and Chips I ever had were when I lived in Cornwall from the Old Forge, in Bugle, Cornwall which, doesn't have one of those new fangled website thingies.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

In Blackpool, I'd say The Cottage is the one I'd recommend. Website https://cottagefishandchips.co.uk/

Nearer to me, Whelan's in Lytham https://whelansfishandchips.co.uk/ Excellent Gravy.

But the best Fish and Chips I ever had were when I lived in Cornwall from the Old Forge, in Bugle, Cornwall which, doesn't have one of those new fangled website thingies.

Seafarers at St Annes is amongst the worst I have had.

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

Despite the cultural relevance of Caroline Street in Cardiff as 'chippy alley', Albany Fish Bar on Albany Road gets my nod of appreciation from my time there.

EDIT it's bloomin' Caroline St! :D

Edited by VILLAMARV

Just now, VILLAMARV said:

Despite the cultural relevance of Catherine Street in Cardiff as 'chippy alley', Albany Fish Bar on Albany Road gets my nod of appreciation from my time there.

I used to live in skegness and that had a chip shop alley, they were all average.

It used to be worth a trip to Ma Kellys, Portchester/Paulsgrove, not been for years though, then either sit eating the fish & chips looking down Portsmouth Harbour or drive and have a sit looking down over Portsmouth / Gosport / Fareham / Hayling Island / Isle of Wight from the top of Portsdown Hill (if you're ever down this way the view is well worth the trip)

The Frying Fish in Warsash is the best chippy near me.

• Like 1

For me it was (and still is) Chris' chippy on the Aldridge road down from great barr comp or whatever they call it now. Been going since 1970.

As part of my yoof, sat evening....watch the villa win...jump off the bus back from VP, get the argus from the post office across the road, then call in for chips and crispy bits, promising myself I was definitely going to ask the chippy owner's daughter out (lovely Greek Cypriot teenager serving me) next week....or whenever my spots had cleared up sufficiently !

Happy days....

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Seafarers at St Annes is amongst the worst I have had.

Yeah, it's average at best. There's a goodish one in St Annes called (I think) St Annes Fish Restaurant just off St Andrew's Rd.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already but what's the consensus on here regarding Harry Ramsdens? I was looking forward to trying them when in Bournemouth a few years back. I was left underwhelmed, maybe I was expecting too much, or maybe it was a bad day?

8 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already but what's the consensus on here regarding Harry Ramsdens? I was looking forward to trying them when in Bournemouth a few years back. I was left underwhelmed, maybe I was expecting too much, or maybe it was a bad day?

Wasn’t impressed either, but it was over ten years ago when we had them at the same place. Never tried their stuff in Iceland etc mind. 

• Like 1

What are people’s thoughts on chippy curry sauce and the types available in chip shops?  Fruity, spicy, mild or hot?

Seems to vary a lot around the country I’ve found. From having the odd sultana and onion, to having some very dark and finding some very spicy.

Personally, I like most as long as it isn’t too watery. Needs to be of a good consistency.

Lashings of it on the fish and chips or just for dipping? 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Sea Queen in Burntwood for the battered chips. Of those in the area that don’t do battered chips, Aldridge Chippy is the best for their good value meal with mini fish, mini battered sausage, chips, and a sauce.

Ever tried sankeys corner chippy ? My missus is a Burntwood lass and I'd often  call in to SC on the way to her house....either way, I was guaranteed a fish supper 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

After reading this thread all day I’m resigned to having fish and chips for tea! 

Thanks all 

I just did that, too. Every time I go there, though, the prices have gone up. A year ago it was £7.95 and now £11.50 for large haddock, chips and er, a serving of owt moist.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 3

Â