Wasted Talents

KentVillan

Are we saying players who's time with us was underwhelming versus their career elsewhere or players who's overall career was underwhelming despite initial promise?

By which I mean, I wouldn't say players like Veretout or Stefan Beinlich (yes, I know I go to the Beinlich well everytime this conversation comes up) had "wasted talent" so to speak, as they both went on to successes elsewhere, just that it didn't work out with us.

Wasted talent to my mind equals players who either came through the academy with hype/promise that was never fulfilled, or players signed to some fanfare who produced bugger all and ultimately slipped into obscurity.

Chukwuemeka may just about be too early to call, but it does look likely he'll be churned through that Chelsea bench/loan cycle which doesn't tend to make for a remarkable career.  Dan Crowley still in recent memory, doing his level best to show that the paltry sum we got from Arsenal was probably commensurate with this actual ability all along, currently to be found at *checks notes* Notts County.  Stephen Cooke a classic that always tends to come up in these threads.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Jores Okore I think would have been a top centre back before that injury

Academy players I think Clark could have been better but I blame that more on the shambles of a club at the time which damaged a lot of prospects

A fit Okore and a fit Vlaar was a very decent pairing at the back.... Not sure how many matches they were fit at the same time 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Moustapha Salifou never lived up to his nickname as the Togalese Zidane did he? 🤣

On a serious note, Nilis could have been decent for us. 

Nillis was hardly wasted. He was 33 at the time and had a very decent career before the horror injury.

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Nillis was hardly wasted. He was 33 at the time and had a very decent career before the horror injury.

but a waste for us! He was clearly very good and would have been very useful, but for that horrendous injury. 

4 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Ross McCormack

Gary Gardner

Easah Suliman

Suliman is a great shout, captained England under 19s winning the euros to playing in Azerbaijan by his mid 20s, I'm sure he's played next to no football as he's failed at so many loans

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me, Jordan Graham sticks out, thought he was going to be massive. 

Scott Murray from the 90's looked exciting and pacey at fullback but disappeared quicker than he emerged.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Suliman is a great shout, captained England under 19s winning the euros to playing in Azerbaijan by his mid 20s, I'm sure he's played next to no football as he's failed at so many loans

I actually just looked at the U19 Euros lineup from 2017 and besides Ramsdale, Mount and Reece James (on the bench) it's a bit disappointing how few have had careers at the top.

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Which Villa players should have had much better careers than they did?

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Veretout

Amavi

Gueye

Kalinic

Albrighton

Cahill

Collymore

Jean Makoun

and not a player but Houllier!!

… just a few that could’ve been good

Some if these had very good careers. Cahill Albrighton Veretout Gueye all did very well after leaving us.

• Like 1

Â