Wasted Talents

KentVillan

59 minutes ago, AXD said:

Some if these had very good careers. Cahill Albrighton Veretout Gueye all did very well after leaving us.

Yeah but not for us, which is precisely my point… hence the point of including them in this thread of wasted opportunities. 

Edited by alreadyexists

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Surprised little mention of Collymore on here

Page 1, he's there. For me he is the #1 missed opportunity and let down, he should and could have kicked the club on to the highest level.

37 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

The Moore brothers, so much potential and never worked hard. 
Lee Hendrie, could have been brilliant, wasn’t he done by around 27?

I think your right about the age of Lee Hendrie... So much promise though, I even remember one month there was something like 4 of the first 5 of the BBC Match of The Day goal of the month's were his. Such a shame he couldn't push on.

• Like 1

Collymore

Hendrie

Jordan Graham

Samir Carruthers

Fonz

Gabby

Luke Moore

I’d go as far as Benteke his post villa career was a complete waste

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Gabby. Never really got past his “natural talent” phase. Too lazy and thick to learn any more. Or so I’ve been told 

Yep, I think Gabby could have been a much, much more successful player with a more disciplined coaching setup from a young age.

Imagine a young Gabby being coached by Emery. Of course there’s a chance he would have been binned for his attitude, but I think Emery would have kept him in check and worked out how to get the best out of him.

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yep, I think Gabby could have been a much, much more successful player with a more disciplined coaching setup from a young age.

Imagine a young Gabby being coached by Emery. Of course there’s a chance he would have been binned for his attitude, but I think Emery would have kept him in check and worked out how to get the best out of him.

100% gabby could of been fantastic if he had our current set up, but there was issues with his personal life and his old school friends, what was always a major distraction to him 

• Like 1

This thread has prompted me to go through the starting XIs for the youth cup wins in 2002 and 2004. Makes you realise how difficult it was (and is) to become a Premier League footballer.

Here's just one example: Lee Grant -- defender signed from York who played in the 2004 final: joined Villa from York at 17, Back at York aged 19. Played eight games in the conference. Moved to Southport aged 21. Made one appearance in the county cup. Now, according to his Wikipedia entry 'He now works in a tile shop in York (dunnington)' [no reference].

I know a few of the players in those teams went on to have decent careers, but it shows how -- even with all the support they get -- youngsters can easily fall by the wayside. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I’d go as far as Benteke his post villa career was a complete waste

Well, not a complete waste.  Mugging off Hodgson at Warhammer isn't to be sniffed at.

• Haha 1

Â