Judge Mental's Sexism and Misogyny Topic

mjmooney

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

One thing i always see- id whenever a debate comes up about female pundits alex scott is always the first name mentioned. Sue smith rarely gets mentioned and i think she is a fantastic pundit. Arguably the best out there at the moment 

i agree with you however i think the trap that many of us fall into (myself included) is starting to compare the various pundits. start reeling off names like alex scott, karen carney and put them up against the likes of danny mills and michael owen. the females i just mentioned are regarded by most as being superior to the males i just mentioned. problem is that you open such a debate that people then start bringing up people like shearer, neville and carragher who many would describe as the better pundits out there who all happen to be male

but that's not the issue here. it's the sweeping generalisation from barton and keegan that women are not qualified to opine on the mens game. THATS the issue and it's totally absurd. dan bardell for example among others with similar backgrounds to him regularly appear on skysports now who to my knowledge have never played any form of professional football. so why does the same logic not apply to them? by logic of the aforementioned mysogynists those individuals are even LESS qualified to talk football for a living. so why are barton and keegan not moaning about them instead? i could even point to people like souness who last kicked a football over 30 years ago...i'd argue that the game now is so different to the one back then that it's almost a different sport. certainly levels above the game he played.

my point being, the level you've played at has zero bearing on your ability to read the game and judge team/player performances and there's no argument anyone can give me that would make me think otherwise

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Instead of using "woke", can we start using "basic empathy", its the same thing.

When people who are described as woke are empathetic to the people who they disagree with, why not?

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I want pundits who are good at analysing games and tactics, who are dedicated to their job by watching as many of the PL teams play to have real insight. I get the point if we are solely focused on ex footballers and want a "I've been there, he's my take" type analysis that players who have played and won at the top of the mens game have more relevant things to offer in that narrow instance. But who the f wants that if it comes wrapped in Michael Owen level nonsense? I'd rather have good analysts over ex footballer 

Spot on. 

The trap they fall into is that they hire ex women footballers with no clue (much the same as the men) which does nothing to further the cause. If they hired the female version of Matterface (for example, an absolute football savant) then it would help a lot. An excellent analyst, who’s done their research, it shouldn’t matter if they’re male or female. 

• Like 2

Pundits of both sexes should have a nice listenable accent.

A couple of the female pundits I’ve seen on BBC have had horrendous speaking voices which just makes me turn off.

On the radio I’ve heard the likes of Stuart Pearce, absolutely awful and thick as two week old porridge.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

This. Alex Scott dropping her 'G's. 

No, not her g string, you dirty minded sods. Shootin' and tacklin' and passin'. 

Plus any number of male ex-pro's who sound thick as mince. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It’s the ‘L’s for me.

‘They won three : niw to go top of the tabew before they had to go to hospitew’

I’m a big fan of accents, but I do also like enunciation.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rjw63 said:

A couple of the female pundits I’ve seen on BBC have had horrendous speaking voices which just makes me turn off.

On the radio I’ve heard the likes of Stuart Pearce, absolutely awful and thick as two week old porridge.

cockneys and scousers of any gender are a big no for me 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2023 at 13:11, mjmooney said:

On 09/12/2023 at 13:24, chrisp65 said:

It’s the ‘L’s for me.

‘They won three : niw to go top of the tabew before they had to go to hospitew’

I’m a big fan of accents, but I do also like enunciation.

These are really just regional accents, in the same way that most British English speakers (of all classes) don't pronounce the "R" in the middle of a word (non-rhotic accents), which can be very confusing for most Americans and anyone who has learnt a rhotic English accent. We don't accuse British English speakers of not enunciating because they pronounce "water" as wah-tuh.

The L thing is called L vocalisation, and is a feature of Polish too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-vocalization

L-vocalization, in linguistics, is a process by which a lateral approximant sound such as [l], or, perhaps more often, velarized [ɫ], is replaced by a vowel or a semivowel.

It's a feature of Cockney accents.

We need to be more sympathetic to the way people speak, because literally everyone has their own unique accent that would sound confusing to somebody somewhere.

The main thing is are they talking sense, is what they're saying interesting and intelligent.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

Â