Judge Mental's Sexism and Misogyny Topic

bannedfromHandV

21 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

I thought the the dress was inappropriate, so obviously I am a henious human being, but for everyone with a differing opinion I would genuinely be interested in you answers to these questions

1. Would you be happy to go out in public with your daughter, sister, wife or mother if they were wearing that exact outfit?(this was asked before but side stepped), and
  2. Why has nobody posted a picture of it on this site?

Obviously I can only answer part 1. so…

“happy” would be the wrong word, but if my wife/daughter/mother (this would be incredibly wtf, mind) felt comfortable wearing a fashionable sheer outfit at an awards ceremony then I’d be “fine” with them doing it. I definitely don’t think they should lose their job for doing so :D. But my problem wouldn’t be with them, it would be with the people who can’t help but stare. They’re the **** issue, not fashion.

Many people on here seem to hold views that are often spouted around the rape issue. “She didn’t wear much so she was asking for it”. The issue isn’t with the person being comfortable enough with their body to show it off, it’s with those unable to control their urges.

Also, I don’t understand why so many people are comparing a nipple being on show to a bloke getting his cock out. It’s not the same thing at all? Alex Scott isn’t out there with her vag on display.

I also think - whilst breasts are definitely more sexualised in society - it’s entirely wrong to say blokes upper bodies aren’t. Again people keep talking about “Barry’s titz”, but (many) people absolutely find muscly arms, defined abs etc sexy. I guess the difference is that women don’t often catcall/assault/demean so it’s not seen as a problem?

But, again, it’s a control issue right?

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

If my mom wore that dress to an awards ceremony I would have a problem with it.

But that's because she's 70 years old and only has one tit so I'm not sure she'd pull it off.

If my mom looked like Alex Scott then all power to her

Erm, OK, can't believe a pair of nipples has caused up this much of an issue for some people but there we are... The original comment was asking for her to be punished/reprimanded by the BBC for wearing the dress at an awards ceremony. Is it Andrew Tate levels of ignorance? Of course not but it still pretty poor judgment. You can have an opinion on whether she is a good pundit or not, irrespective of what she is wearing. The fact that what she is wearing has even entered the conversation shows we are far from sorting the problem. 

As is traditional on this site, we need to inject some form of music in non-music threads, and when I was reading through the comments, this song was playing in my head: -

The lyrics are below for context

Is this too much?
Is this not enough?
If I don't cover up
does that make it my fault?

You have painted me
so the clothes I am wearing
speak louder
than the things I am saying.

And the only thing I can be
is a prude or a whore
seeking attention
and nothing more.

Showing flesh, showing flesh
does not remove dignity
Showing flesh, showing flesh,
does not invalidate me.

Why are we still being punished just for having a body?
Why are we still being judged solely on our clothing?

Showing flesh does not deserve shaming
Showing flesh does not warrant blaming

Why the hell must you ask what the victim was wearing?

Why are our bodies seen as a bad thing?
To be locked away
in a misconception of purity.

To be hidden like a guilty secret

This is my skin
This is the vessel I exist in
It is not a sin
My body is not a sin!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

If you would go to a event with your daughter in a see through dress, you probably think it's acceptable to let her walk around the house topless when you mates are round,

to quote /paraphrase  @The_Rev from the Top Gear thread many moons ago 

If my daughter looked like that ( Alex Scott) , I'd still be bathing her  

• Haha 4

On 20/11/2023 at 10:40, tonyh29 said:

to quote /paraphrase  @The_Rev from the Top Gear thread many moons ago 

If my daughter looked like that ( Alex Scott) , I'd still be bathing her  

I use this turn of phrase all the time and always remember that that was where it originated (for me anyway)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I use this turn of phrase all the time and always remember that that was where it originated (for me anyway)

yeah likewise  .. there are quite a few VT'isms that have made it into my everyday life ,  some better received than others  , clearing in the words is always met with bewilderment  :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/11/2023 at 09:31, bobzy said:

Obviously I can only answer part 1. so…

“happy” would be the wrong word, but if my wife/daughter/mother (this would be incredibly wtf, mind) felt comfortable wearing a fashionable sheer outfit at an awards ceremony then I’d be “fine” with them doing it. I definitely don’t think they should lose their job for doing so :D. But my problem wouldn’t be with them, it would be with the people who can’t help but stare. They’re the **** issue, not fashion.

Many people on here seem to hold views that are often spouted around the rape issue. “She didn’t wear much so she was asking for it”. The issue isn’t with the person being comfortable enough with their body to show it off, it’s with those unable to control their urges.

Also, I don’t understand why so many people are comparing a nipple being on show to a bloke getting his cock out. It’s not the same thing at all? Alex Scott isn’t out there with her vag on display.

I also think - whilst breasts are definitely more sexualised in society - it’s entirely wrong to say blokes upper bodies aren’t. Again people keep talking about “Barry’s titz”, but (many) people absolutely find muscly arms, defined abs etc sexy. I guess the difference is that women don’t often catcall/assault/demean so it’s not seen as a problem?

But, again, it’s a control issue right?

I have not seen anyone condone rape at all on this site. Maybe you could link me to the posts where it has happened.

Also, try being a barman, women do catcall / assault / demean.  Once they are pissed some women disregard all boundaries. But as a bloke when you complain that some woman grabbed your knackers, everyone just laughs.

25 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

I have not seen anyone condone rape at all on this site. Maybe you could link me to the posts where it has happened.

Also, try being a barman, women do catcall / assault / demean.  Once they are pissed some women disregard all boundaries. But as a bloke when you complain that some woman grabbed your knackers, everyone just laughs.

Bold bit - you need to re-read my post.  I haven't said anyone on here has ever condoned rape.

Second part, yes that's probably true on both counts.  However, there's probably also a "novelty" factor for a bloke having a woman catcall or slap their bum or whatever - it doesn't happen that often so it's just shrugged off.  Sadly, not the case when those roles are reversed which is why it's a wider issue - as well as the whole 'blokes are typically stronger, more likely to be abusive/violent' point.  And, yet again, this isn't to say it doesn't happen the other way round; it does.  But it's far, far, far, far, far, far less common.

29 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Bold bit - you need to re-read my post.  I haven't said anyone on here has ever condoned rape.

Second part, yes that's probably true on both counts.  However, there's probably also a "novelty" factor for a bloke having a woman catcall or slap their bum or whatever - it doesn't happen that often so it's just shrugged off.  Sadly, not the case when those roles are reversed which is why it's a wider issue - as well as the whole 'blokes are typically stronger, more likely to be abusive/violent' point.  And, yet again, this isn't to say it doesn't happen the other way round; it does.  But it's far, far, far, far, far, far less common.

“She didn’t wear much so she was asking for it”, is the epitome of condoning rape, and victim blaming, so unless I have read this wrong I will stand by my comment, but on the second point I completely agree.  On a physical level, a man groping a woman is completely different to a woman groping a man, because the fear factor. Also, it does happen a lot for barmen and there was no novelty factor for me. It always made me feel uncomfortable but never physically intimidated, and as I said, any complaint were just laughed off.

35 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

“She didn’t wear much so she was asking for it”, is the epitome of condoning rape, and victim blaming, so unless I have read this wrong I will stand by my comment

Yes, as I said before, you’ve misread.

Â