Women’s World Cup 2023

Giro

Playing great. Would keep James on the bench for the final but at the end of the day we're here to win not make friends and if we need to bring her on, do.

Daly is really amazing me. 7/10 performances most games and is the women's league top scorer playing LWB. Imagine playing Kane LWB to have Rashford and Sterling up front. But it works

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Playing great. Would keep James on the bench for the final but at the end of the day we're here to win not make friends and if we need to bring her on, do.

Daly is really amazing me. 7/10 performances most games and is the women's league top scorer playing LWB. Imagine playing Kane LWB to have Rashford and Sterling up front. But it works

Yh, I was 100% for bringing James straight back in… but after that performance it wouldn’t feel right.

• Like 3

Twenty-two goals and five assists for Daly in WSL as a centre-forward, player of the season, not just for us but voted as best player in the whole league, and now one of the nominees for players' player of the year, it would be understandable if she was mad at being played as a wing-back, and not just a wing-back, she's actually being asked to play deeper than Lucy Bronze, on the other side, so Daly the best centre-forward in the league, is playing deeper than a defender, but she's not moaned, got on with it, and whilst left-back doesn't get anywhere near the best from abilities, she's done well defensively, and put in a few dangerous balls, and got into some dangerous positions, brilliant workrate as she covers so much ground, it must be frustrating for her as you can see if England have it on the right hand side she's been told to get into the box but most times she's done that there's no attempt to find her, after all her sacrifies for the team it would be good to see her get the winner in the final, she must deserve it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xela said:

James doesn't deserve to come back in. Good option for the last 25 mins.

Start with the same XI that played today. 

I agree with same XI again, they were really good today. And Toone comes up with vital goals in the biggest matches... when we were heading out of the Euros in the QF v spain with 6 mins to go. Then her brilliant lob in the final and now another brilliant goal today, both to put us 1-0 up.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, colhint said:

Nah James is the better player, and apart from her goal I didn't notice Toone too much

James is better, no doubt, but her rash action nearly cost us a place in the final. It would be wrong to bring her back into the starting line up now. If it was an injury and she missed games, it might be different.

A did you know? ...

That Ella Toone is the only England player, women's and men's, to have ever scored in the quarter-final, the semi-final and the final of a major tournament (WC and Euros)? 

I didn't know this until reading about it yesterday. Congrats to Toony.  : )

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

If they win it - and it's still a big 'if' - I wonder if a generation of kids will forever be able to reel off 'Earps, Greenwood, Bright, Carter, Bronze, Stanway, Walsh, Toone, Daley, Hemp, Russo', the way my generation can with 'Banks, Wilson, J Charlton, Moore, Cohen, Ball, Stiles, Peters, Hunt, R Charlton, Hurst'? 

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If they win it - and it's still a big 'if' - I wonder if a generation of kids will forever be able to reel off 'Earps, Greenwood, Bright, Carter, Bronze, Stanway, Walsh, Toone, Daley, Hemp, Russo', the way my generation can with 'Banks, Wilson, J Charlton, Moore, Cohen, Ball, Stiles, Peters, Hunt, R Charlton, Hurst'? 

It's a good question. For some comparison, I would say that England v Italy in the Euros final got about 31 million viewers, while the semi-final against Australia got 11 million viewers. Of course the latter was during the workday and you would expect the figures to be higher for the final than the semi-final anyway, but I imagine it will fall significantly short of the numbers watching a men's final. *However*, even if the final number is I dunno, let's say 20 million, that's still a huge audience. 

• Like 1

I think it will for a significant amount of kids. For those growing up in the past decade or so, the visibility of women's football ( and cricket ) has been much higher than it used to be. Which is great, it's normalised alot. Attendances are much higher and the standard is clearly a big leap up, from say the 2008(?) championships, when the standard was variable at best, keepers were particularly poor then.  The kids ( certainly a much much much higher proportion anyway ) will be across both genders and their fates in a way we weren't. I mean I'm a late 30 something who barely pays attention to football outside Villa, and maybe the international tournaments and I know most of the starting eleven. 

And indeed maybe, for those of us who like football but loathe so much of what is happening to men's professional football, there's an opportunity to attract a few more fans...

• Like 2

It's great there is more interest in the women's game but for many they just aren't interested.

Personally I've watched one game, little bits of the Semi-final, the penalties of the Nigeria match and then one half against China. I'm happy they are doing so well....

Obviously certain physical traits are of big difference; there was a moment against China where England countered down the left-side and had two players over on the far right side in acres of space yet the player knew she could not get the ball across so far so she checked back and momentum was lost.

I will probably watch some of it on Sunday if I can but I won't plan my day around it.

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Given the advances in sports science and training and general professionalism etc I wonder how the current English women’s team would have fared in a match against the 66 men’s team 😁

36 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Given the advances in sports science and training and general professionalism etc I wonder how the current English women’s team would have fared in a match against the 66 men’s team 😁

The only wonder is why your wondering. 

Absolutely slaughtered is the answer.

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Whose balls wouid they play with 😀

Â