Women’s World Cup 2023

Giro

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Always get one game you shouldn't win but you find a way. Great resilience and bottle in the penalty shootout 

You've reminded me of the world cup 1990 when we somehow beat Cameroon 3-2 with two penalties from Lineker. Cameroon were the better team in that match, they were great. And unlucky.

Daly or England have to start up front next match. And even if James is available again at any point this tournament I don't think she should be involved after that petulance.

Edited by villan95
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

We almost ducked out of the competition there

That old canard? The spirit of Sir Francis Drake saw us through. 

• Haha 1

BBC try to justify a stamp by acting like it was playful, one of them actually said " we do this type of thing in training". It was shocking, you don't need a big exaggerated stamp to hurt someone, she put all her weight completely on the girl for a split second 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pete101 said:

BBC try to justify a stamp by acting like it was playful, one of them actually said " we do this type of thing in training". It was shocking, you don't need a big exaggerated stamp to hurt someone, she put all her weight completely on the girl for a split second 

I agree with you. And it's not like she couldn't easily have put her foot to the side of the player instead. It was obviously out of frustration and petulance, having been marked out of the game and losing possesion at that moment. She could have actually injured the player, it was near her lower back. :s She's very lucky that we won anyway, phew !

It was a "red card for violent conduct" and I don't want to see deliberately treading on an opponent from an England player (or from any player, of course!) I don't think she should play again in this tournament. It was significantly worse than what Beckham did to that Argenitine player. 

However, if she's feeling distraught after letting herself, her team and her country down like that then i can feel a bit sorry for her. : <  Sounds like it was maybe a moment of madness and out of character, from what Sarina Wiegman has said post-match. But it was weird how she was kind of smirking as she walked off. :s Well hopefully she's learnt a big lesson from this and I think she'll have a 2nd chance in the next tournament if not this one.

Edited by robby b

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is it a 3 match ban for straight red? If so is that her tournament done now?

Nope, 1 match ban in a tournament. 

Weird rule to be honest

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, pete101 said:

BBC were also encouraging the England players to dive in Extra Time 

I am torn, between on the one hand thinking the secrecy of VAR and ref decision making in the men's game is problematic, and what I've just witnessed in the women's game of the ref having a mic and striding back onto the pitch to dramatically announce their decision to the crowd. It's like something out of **** Gladiators :D 

My message to James would be don't believe the hype. Getting marked tightly is something she will have to get used to now. Thankfully the player on the receiving end didn't make a big deal of it and make it look worse than it was. 

• Like 1

One of the comments in the live BBC thread was that we looked far better when Walsh wasn't playing. She's come back today and we've been poor again. 

4 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Just saw the Lauren James stomp, such a stupid thing to do and really nasty. 

She was almost smirking as she left the pitch. How strange!

I think it was quite nasty, sadly. : < And yeah she was kind of smirking as she left the pitch, I agree that was strange, as opposed to looking upset, ashamed, sad, etc... 

Â