Women’s World Cup 2023

Giro

Just now, bobzy said:

In what way?

In any which way you want.

it’s a comparison.

it’s like saying a Kawasaki ninja is faster than a McLaren F1 - and some overly sensitive people getting their knickers in a twist about comparing 2 wheels with 4 and how that is - god knows - ‘wheelist’.

It’s the same game played by a different demographic of people.  It is NOT a sin to compare.  

it is NOT sexist to say that the men’s game is better.  It WOULD be sexist to say that women shouldn’t be playing football because they’re shit.

Get a grip.

• Like 1

Just now, Thug said:

In any which way you want.

it’s a comparison.

it’s like saying a Kawasaki ninja is faster than a McLaren F1 - and some overly sensitive people getting their knickers in a twist about comparing 2 wheels with 4 and how that is - god knows - ‘wheelist’.

It’s the same game played by a different demographic of people.  It is NOT a sin to compare.  

it is NOT sexist to say that the men’s game is better.  It WOULD be sexist to say that women shouldn’t be playing football because they’re shit.

Get a grip.

Ah, fair enough.  How come we don't compare Unai Emery's Aston Villa to Carla Ward's Aston Villa then?  I mean, it would make sense right?  Seems weird that we don't, actually.

Please point out where I've said it's sexist as well before telling me to "get a grip".

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Ah, fair enough.  How come we don't compare Unai Emery's Aston Villa to Carla Ward's Aston Villa then?  I mean, it would make sense right?  Seems weird that we don't, actually.

Please point out where I've said it's sexist as well before telling me to "get a grip".

Wasn’t directed at you, although I was replying to your quote.

The other chappy.

Edited by Thug

1 minute ago, Thug said:

Wasn’t directed at you, although I was replying to your quote.

The other chappy.

Cool.

Just going to ignore my other questions?

How is the women's game of football relevant to the men's game and vice-versa?  And why don't we compare Unai Emery's Aston Villa to Carla Ward's Aston Villa?

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don’t see any reason not to compare them for the purposes of discussion on a football forum.

Edited by Genie

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Cool.

How is the women's game of football relevant to the men's game and vice-versa?  And why don't we compare Unai Emery's Aston Villa to Carla Ward's Aston Villa?

I would be happy to Compare.  Let’s go.

The relevance is the ‘gold standard’

As with all things, it is natural to compare to the thing that sets the bar.

In this case, it’s the men’s game.

Edited by Thug

I don't know why people are just going along with the idea that a Sunday League Mens team would beat an international women's team, they most probably would not, the women players would be far more technical, skilful, fitter, better stamina, better coached, and have much better in game tactical awareness, I don't think it would be even close, the women's team would win comfortably against that level of oppositon.

Our (Aston Villa) girls academy teams play boys teams and often win, the boys they're playing might not be from professional academies, but they will still be pretty good, point being, male teams don't beat top female teams just by virtue of being male, when it happens it's because the male players are of a high standard, not just any male team can beat a top women's side.

Not that it matters, women's football teams should be judged on how good they are relative to other women's teams, I don't watch Aston Villa U16s and think they're rubbish because they would get comfortably beat by a National League side, they're judged on how good they are compared to other U16 teams..

• Like 2

Just now, Genie said:

Which question is being dodged? 

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Cool.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Just going to continually avoid answering then :D

We're probably done.

What question?

let’s compare villa mens to villa women

Ive not watched a lot of the villa women, but I plan on doing so this season.  I’m really excited about it to be honest.  And Rachel Daly is a better penalty taker than any of our men.

Edited by Thug

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't know why people are just going along with the idea that a Sunday League Mens team would beat an international women's team, they most probably would not, the women players would be far more technical, skilful, fitter, better stamina, better coached, and have much better in game tactical awareness, I don't think it would be even close, the women's team would win comfortably against that level of oppositon.

Our (Aston Villa) girls academy teams play boys teams and often win, the boys they're playing might not be from professional academies, but they will still be pretty good, point being, male teams don't beat top female teams just by virtue of being male, when it happens it's because the male players are of a high standard, not just any male team can beat a top women's side.

Not that it matters, women's football teams should be judged on how good they are relative to other women's teams, I don't watch Aston Villa U16s and think they're rubbish because they would get comfortably beat by a National League side, they're judged on how good they are compared to other U16 teams..

Bingo.

And I bet no-one does this either.  Because it's irrelevant.  However, when it's women's football...

Edited by bobzy

3 minutes ago, useless said:

You’re right.

On 28/04/2021 at 22:25, useless said:

If you're going to watch women's football you just have to take it for what it is, if you go into it comparing it to mens' football then you're setting yourself up for a disappointment. Their value shouldn't be measured by how they'd get on against mens teams, but how good they are relative to other womens' sides.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Bingo.

And I bet no-one does this either.  Because it's irrelevant.  However, when it's women's football...

You just don’t get it.

Thats not what’s happening here.

For 5 minutes take off your defensive hat, and think about what is being said.

5 minutes ago, Thug said:

You just don’t get it.

Thats not what’s happening here.

For 5 minutes take off your defensive hat, and think about what is being said.

I'm not defensive about this really.  My initial comment (which I doubt you've read given that you've said it's "not sexist" and to "get a grip".  I think you probably just wanted to rail against "defensiveness"; who knows) was that I find comparisons between women's football and men's football **** dull.  It's pointless; they're different games.

@useless has outlined it very well.

Edited by bobzy

Just now, bobzy said:

I'm not defensive about this really.  My initial comment (which I doubt you've read given that you've called me "sexist" and to "get a grip".  I think you probably just wanted to rail against "defensiveness"; who knows) was that I find comparisons between women's football and men's football **** dull.  It's pointless; they're different games.

It’s the SAME game played by a different demographic.  It’s the EXACT SAME GAME.  Using the same rule book.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm not defensive about this really.  My initial comment (which I doubt you've read given that you've called me "sexist" and to "get a grip".  I think you probably just wanted to rail against "defensiveness"; who knows) was that I find comparisons between women's football and men's football **** dull.  It's pointless; they're different games.

Lol.  I’ve already told you that wasn’t directed at you - and you even acknowledged it 😂😂😂

Yet here you are…

It’s like taking to a brick wall with you.

Tin hat on.... I believe a lot of these challenging conversations are due to the sports which have recently been adopted by women (bad choice of words perhaps) like football and cricket have had their profile artificially boosted by the media etc... When the skill/quality of these sports doesn't yet match the profile.

Look at female golf or tennis. The skill level of the participants at the top is off the scale. You can watch these sports and marvel at the skill and appreciate what talented sportswoman they are. 

This doesn't seem the be the same yet in women's football but people are jumped for commenting as such.

A male scratch club golfer isn't beating Charlie Hull for example.

The difference in strength and power will obviously always be a differentiator but you'd like to think in time the skill level in women's football will develop to the point that these conversations go away.

• Like 2

Â