Women’s World Cup 2023

Giro

4 hours ago, Xela said:

One of the comments in the live BBC thread was that we looked far better when Walsh wasn't playing. She's come back today and we've been poor again. 

I can understand today if she hasn't recovered fully from the injury. But I'm surprised and puzzled that we played better without her v China. Afterall she's supposedly our best player (other than Mead or Williamson) and a superstar. A world record transfer fee to Barcelona.

9 hours ago, robby b said:

You've reminded me of the world cup 1990 when we somehow beat Cameroon 3-2 with two penalties from Lineker. Cameroon were the better team in that match, they were great. And unlucky.

I was thinking exactly the same when watching the game 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

This is a terrible advert for women's football 

I’ve watched a few matches and it’s been really poor. If this is the pinnacle then it has a long way to go. I’m sure it’ll keep improving though. 

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

This is a terrible advert for women's football 

Just now, Genie said:

I’ve watched a few matches and it’s been really poor. If this is the pinnacle then it has a long way to go. I’m sure it’ll keep improving though. 

Was about to say.

Most of them have been.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

There's usually a poor game or two at men's tournaments as well, but nobody claims that one dull match is a 'terrible advert for men's football'. 

A poor game is one thing, a pitch full of poor players is something else.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

There's usually a poor game or two at men's tournaments as well, but nobody claims that one dull match is a 'terrible advert for men's football'. 

No but as has been said many pf the games in this tournament have been poor and the women's game is still emerging whereas the men's game is well established 

I mean I just flatly disagree that 'many of the games in this tournament have been poor'. The standard has never been higher, and a number of the top sides have gone out to shock exits because the competitive gap has been reduced. This is the first really dull match I can remember watching. 

It *is* true that this is the weakest-on-paper of the last 16 ties, I'll grant that. 

• Like 1

I think people need to remember that they are girls, and as non pc as it may be to acknowledge these days, it is what it is.

For the most part, lighter body structures, different mannerisms, less aggression and control etc.

Hard to compare to the mens game, even at the highest level.

The important thing is that it will improve as it's now getting attention and investment.

This will encourage more girls to want to play football and improve the game.

A few hotties about as well which helps. 👀

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Looks like the Colombian team, much like their male counterparts are not afraid to indulge in the dark arts. 

And by that I mean that they are cheating b***ards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Majority of mens World Cup games are equally as poor, would even say a majority of Premier League games are crap quality

Â