Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

25 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He's done well in his first season in a very difficult league - one that is far more demanding physically than what he's previously experienced. 

He's played 2605 of minutes in all comps and chipped in 15 goal contributions. That's not bad at all.

We paid a lot of money for him, so I do get that there are additional layers of expectation on him.

I agree - in 18 league games, whether starting or sub, he’s been played up front or central attacking mid - not his natural position. He’s had his best success as a right winger. I still think he’s been a success for that reason. He was poor yesterday but a lot of players underperformed. I don’t think the rush by some to write players off is helpful. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

At least in 18 league games, whether starting or sub, he’s been played up front or central attacking mid - not his natural position. He’s had his best success as a right winger. I still think he’s been a success for that reason. He was poor yesterday but a lot of players underperformed. I don’t think the rush by some to write players off is helpful. 

To put things into perspective, 15 goal contributions in all comps would have been our 2nd most last season and 1st the season before. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Awful against Lille, awful against Arsenal. Not writing him off forever but it's like watching a little kid out there at times. Every move seems to end with him.

It’s just ridiculous to say he was “awful” in those games.

Just now, lexicon said:

To put things into perspective, 15 goal contributions in all comps would have been our 2nd most last season and 1st the season before. 

That’s very helpful. I know positional stuff is not linear and Unai is adaptable, but Moussa is clearly adapting to a different style of play. When it clicks, he’s unplayable. And to be honest, in some games unlucky to score more. 

• Like 1

It is odd that anyone who dares to criticise him is jumped on by the usual suspects. The statistics don't mean much to me because the eye test is far more important. I dont trust him at all in big games or against top opposition. It was mistake to start him last night, even with Bailey carrying a knock. Games like that are not for him. His lacklustre performance was inevitable.

31 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

It is odd that anyone who dares to criticise him is jumped on by the usual suspects. The statistics don't mean much to me because the eye test is far more important. I dont trust him at all in big games or against top opposition. It was mistake to start him last night, even with Bailey carrying a knock. Games like that are not for him. His lacklustre performance was inevitable.

Now the anti-Diaby nonsense has sunk to this level of sloganeering, it’s probably just time to give this thread a rest. We’ve just got through to our first major European semi final in 42 years and all some people seem to want to do is slag off one of the players who has been part of this successful squad and has been regularly picked by Emery to play in important matches both in the conference and the premier league.

That last fact should tell you a bit more than your own eye test.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

It's because the criticism is often hyperbolic and frankly foolish. He's better than a goal or assist every other game in terms of minutes played but you seem to think he's the next Brett Holman. 

• Like 1

I do think Diaby is struggling this season. He is severely lacking confidence and, even when played out wide, he struggles to beat a man or make any meaningful impact. Not sure why as his early season form was fantastic.

Gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and say its down to difficulties in settling in a new country/club and adjusting to the pace/physicality. Problem is he won't get as much leeway next season as he must improve on recent performances. 

At the minute his sole purpose seems to be giving Bailey a rest for 45 mins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

I find it odd that you don't see that the answer to your first sentence is provided by your following 5 sentences.

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

you would've risked further escalating his injury and potentially having bailey out for this crucial run in?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

you would've risked further escalating his injury and potentially having bailey out for this crucial run in?

This is probably why he's not a football manager. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

No obviously that's not what I meant. I would have played Rogers or someone else. My point was even with Bailey injured, I wouldn't have started him.

Not great last night,  but let’s be honest pretty much to a man we were rubbish for 80mins at least.

Next season, Moussa is going to be unreal, I can just feel it! 

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

Some posters don’t seem to be to understand game state.

Diaby did the hard yards in the first 60 mins v Arsenal and Lille so that Bailey could then come on versus more tired defenders and be a potential match winner.

This is just total bollocks. We were hoofing it long or barely putting two passes together unless it was in our own half. There was no gameplan for Diaby to run them ragged. If there was, it failed spectacularly because he barely saw the ball.

The reason Bailey caused trouble when he came on is because he's better player, takes men on and actually looks for the ball. Not because of anything Diaby did.

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

Thankfully for Diaby whether or not you trust him our manager does. 

10 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

No obviously that's not what I meant. I would have played Rogers or someone else. My point was even with Bailey injured, I wouldn't have started him.

It's pretty sweet that you think you know better than a manager who holds our highest win percentage by almost 10 percent. 🤣

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Thankfully for Diaby whether or not you trust him our manager does. 

Thanks for that, I wasnt aware that my opinion doesnt have a direct effect on our manager. Now I know.

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's pretty sweet that you think you know better than a manager who holds our highest win percentage by almost 10 percent. 🤣

Another tired comeback in a discussion. Did I say I know more than the manager? It's just my opinion. Like yours or anyone else's.

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

Another tired comeback in a discussion. Did I say I know more than the manager? It's just my opinion. Like yours or anyone else's.

Well my opinion is that it's a bad take 🤷‍♂️

Â