Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

I've just watched the highlights back. 

The pass to Duran at the end was deffo on. A freeze frame of it doesn't do it justice and makes it look a harder pass than it is. 

Saying that, I think we'd all have smashed a shot at goal in that position. There are only a few players in the world who would have had the footballing brain, given the context of the score etc..., to have made the pass instead of shooting. 

I think he just needs to believe in himself more. Last night, several times when he got on the turn and actually went at them, he looked electric. He's not done that enough and I hope next season he can step up like Leon has. 

if he can get some consistency he will be brilliant but every time he is in possession seems to be pot luck whether you end up with a moment of magic or absolute shite, very little inbetween just 1/10 or 9/10 every single time he touches the ball

21 hours ago, Tom13 said:

He did two flicks which were just panicky plays in possession, giving it away cheaply on both occasions. Really irked me as on both occasions he could have got hold of it, he wasn't under any real pressure. Just hope he cuts stuff like that out and grows in confidence. We can't afford to be giving up possession in the final third so carelessly.

I agree but I always think the key is looking for players that want to influence the game when things aren't going well.  Shows good mental strength and character  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, El Segundo said:

His stats are pretty impressive but I think they tend to mask the fact he's turned in quite a few indifferent , frustrating and downright awful performances.   The frustration is that his stats ought to be even better, but he wastes so many attacking opportunities due to lack of composure or confidence, and poor decision making.   Last night was the first time I thought he played well throughout the game and it shows a lot of promise and potential for next season.  But the frustrating elements were still there.   Minimise those and he could be brilliant.

Yes, yes and yes.

There's no argument of his talent, ability, skills, stats.

He does waste opportunities, there's been games where I wouldn't trust him to walk to the centre circle without falling over.

And the bit in bold, again and again and again.

21 hours ago, El Segundo said:

His stats are pretty impressive but I think they tend to mask the fact he's turned in quite a few indifferent , frustrating and downright awful performances.   The frustration is that his stats ought to be even better, but he wastes so many attacking opportunities due to lack of composure or confidence, and poor decision making

I get what you’re saying and I’d have maybe said the same at times. But I was just listening to The Villa Podcast who started off slagging him off a little - then as they went through the episode they realised he was actually at the heart of most good things we do. And I think actually this is a weird one where the opposite of “the eye test” is true - if you watch a game back, he creates so, so many chances for the team. We don’t realise he’s the fulcrum of our attack for some reason, but he is.

Now obviously yes, if he adds the finishing etc to get more goals and assists you’re absolutely right he’ll kick on another level. Fingers crossed that happens next season.

• Like 2

people always focus on the negatives, amongst the poor performances where he has been ineffectual have been really top drawer performances where he has been quality.

I remember the bizarre argument around El Ghazi and even Trez where somehow goals and assists weren't enough from a winger/fwd- (and yes I think Diaby is levels above them) but the fact is if a player does nothing for 89 minutes, but scores a goal or gets a vital assist in that one minute does it matter? If he costs us possession and we lose because he is crap those 89 minutes, then yes a good point to say we need better.

But the fact is, he gets subbed if he is poor, and even when he is poor he is still tidy and works hard. Usually he creates chances.

I know he is frustrating and can get bullied out of games, but he can also be sublime and has all the attributes to be the player we think he can, coming to a new league and get heavily marked and press takes any players time to adjust to. He's not Bailey Mk 2 he's just a player that needs time to adjust to the best league in the world.

'pah he can only score goals and create chances, he's sh*t'

On 15/05/2024 at 04:06, abdulaziz1 said:

Looking forward to see him against Palace without pressure, it would give him a chance to improve his confidence level as well. 

He's gonna have a storming game, could see him come alive throughout the Liverpool game, never had it easy at first but kept pushing and eventually it came good, he Will pick that up against Palace.

28 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Not made the French Euro squad. Neither has Digne. Shame for them but two less players to worry about getting injured.

Gutting and pretty harsh on both. Then again, that French squad is absolutely stacked

7 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Gutting and pretty harsh on both. Then again, that French squad is absolutely stacked

Yeah really sad for them but France have left out some ridiculous players. Still the best squad in the world by some distance.

Posted (edited)

Digne has been out of the team for 2 years, but Diaby will be disappointed given he was called up and played some minutes in the last national break. Hopefully much needed motivation for off-season 

Olise might be more gutted to miss out given his form of late, and he only called 25 out 26 too 

Edited by Alakagom

Moussa hasn’t been consistent so it’s hardly surprising he’s missed out, the French squad has plenty of quality anyway.

This will motivate him and I’m sure we’ll see an improved player next season.

On 14/05/2024 at 18:16, Jas10 said:

Not too shabby 😆

Only going to get better as he develops with the team and with time and coaching from Unai… only 24…

I am so sick of reading online that he is a waste. He has had a good first season adapting to the league.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Our eyes don't lie.....but saying that, we need to be patient with him.

He can be frustrating, but he can equally be stimulating. If the manager is happy with his progress, who are we to doubt that.

I trust Unai's assessment, and when he is "fully charged" and comfortable with all the info he has been given, I think we will see a more effective player.

We have to remember, Unai is no slouch, when it comes to info and some players take longer to compute it all....some are better students, than others.

Moving from another league, country and environment, is a challenge.

If Unai is happy with him, so am I

PS I think he, along with others, will benefit, when a new central midfielder comes in, who can give him a platform to play from.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â