Villa players and managers who don't seem so bad now ...

Marka Ragnos

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i actually think the opposite...at the time there was a lot sympathy felt towards him (seem to remember a song about him along the lines of "we would understand if you walked away from this mess" )

but in hindsight the guy was utterly useless

When you hear Agbonlahor talk about that period at Villa it’s clear that him, Lescott, Richards etc. we’re never going to let Remi Garde succeed as they’d have had to actually do some work. If the club had brought Garde in the summer after Sherwood kept us up he’d probably have worked well with Paddy Riley. Sherwood seemed to have created an utterly toxic bunch of players and sidelined all of the players that Riley brought in that ultimately became good players.

Houliier also identified Gabby as trouble and would’ve gotten rid of him that summer he’d stayed on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Controversial.. Deadly Doug with the aftermath of Lerner/Dr. Tony episode in mind? 

Lerner ended up out of his depth financially because the PL league expanded in terms of value massively in the 10 years he owned the club whereas his wealth seemed to contract. When he bought the club we were one the top spenders in the league for the first 3/4 years. By the back end of the Lambert years we were being outspent by championship clubs and he clearly hadn’t the money to put in.

Ellis never had any such excuse - he hamstrung us with petty penny pinching at every occasion when the opportunities were there to kick on to be one of the top clubs in England.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Controversy here....

Alex McLeish - at times he could only put out a midfield of Chris Herd and Ciaran Clark, he had an out of sorts N'Zgobia with Gabby and Heskey as our main strike partners for about half a season (Bent got a season ending injury if I remember right?) - had the tragedy that befell Stilyan Petrov midway through and our only real consistency was Collins and Dunne. In hindsight a side that should have got relegated, but he kept us up signing Grealish to a longterm deal, blooding in (out of necessity) Andi Weimann and somehow remained dignified throughout, knowing he was up against it from the off joining us from down the road..

Putting to one side where McLeish came from and his style of football I think that he was very badly treated by nearly everyone from the Villa at the time.

With all the controversy surrounding his arrival, the protests etc, he must have known from the start it wouldn't end well when on his press unveiling not one representative from Villa was alongside him.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

Putting to one side where McLeish came from and his style of football I think that he was very badly treated by nearly everyone from the Villa at the time.

With all the controversy surrounding his arrival, the protests etc, he must have known from the start it wouldn't end well when on his press unveiling not one representative from Villa was alongside him.  

It’s mad looking back - despite ruining his reputation with Small Heath, Villa fans protesting against his appointment, our best player leaving and minimal funds available to replace him, and ownership of the club almost invisible he still took the Villa job when he should’ve run a mile. Just shows you what a draw AVFC is.

2 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

It’s mad looking back - despite ruining his reputation with Small Heath, Villa fans protesting against his appointment, our best player leaving and minimal funds available to replace him, and ownership of the club almost invisible he still took the Villa job when he should’ve run a mile. Just shows you what a draw AVFC is.

Our two best players that should read (Both Young and Downing left that summer!!)!

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Paddy Riley got too much stick considering what the players he found went on to achieve.

where is he now?

2 hours ago, withes_shin said:

he actually started off alright too! didn't we beat liverpool away quite early on?

but he never had a chance did he

4 hours ago, John said:

Stan was a terrific player during his time with us and I'm not aware that he was ever really viewed negatively. 

That's certainly controversial. He still 100% gets my bad vote.;)

They were not meant to help. John felt as let down by Yorke as the Villa fans, who had cheered him up until then did. A case of hero to zero and he remains a zero for me.   

I agree with all of the above John.....

1. Stan was a great pro over 2 spells here.

2. Aston Villa was just a promotional vehicle for Baron Ellis of Bicyclekick.

3. Dwight Yorke showed his true colours kissing the SHA badge....they kind of deserved each other.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That season I saw a Villa team full of youth players play a very strong Man U team off the park. Yes the game finished 2-2 but that was what Houllier was building but it was going to take time, backing and patience. 

That central midfield and bench we had was absolutely ridiculous - especially in hindsight when you look at where they ended up.

The rest of the actual first XI wasnt terrible...

Friedel

L. Young, Collins, Dunne, Warnock

Albrighton, Bannan, Hogg, Downing, A. Young 

Gabby

-------

Guzan, Lichaj, Lowry, Osbourne, Johnson, Herd, Delfouneso

Absolutely played them off the park for 70 odd minutes, then Vidic (I think?) got one back and then the whole ground knew what was coming. **** Macheda. Again.

Criminal result.

• Like 1

This is such a difficult thread because most of the players that people are citing are those who clearly had ability but who we felt out of love with due to a transfer saga (Delph, Barry, etc).

Others - McCormack, Lescott - were part of such a pitiful time for our club that it’s heresy to reassess them, even if they were probably going through some things at the time.

Also, we’ve got a superb ability at Villa to take players who were half decent and to destroy them! 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Was never the biggest Concrete Ron fan but the shitshow at centre back when he left such a huge gap

Great article on the man ...

Ron Vlaar was a very-average, heavily-set, intelligent Premier League defender. He packed an almighty shot, was resolute at the back, prone to the odd error, and more than prone to an injury - and of course, he played for Aston Villa. Not noticed much in the Premier League, a Paul Lambert signing for Villa, Ron Vlaar, like the Villa centreback’s before him was the unassuming mould into which legend would pour itself - Mellberg, Laursen, Teale, McGrath. The same unassuming attributes followed all, like they begat each other, while narrative veins ran through each to strip them of their similarities and reinforce their individualism. The resolute Laursen, the lionhearted Teale, the unstopped Mellberg and the grace and fragility of McGrath.

For a few matches, it seemed like Ron Vlaar would join the pantheon of Villa greats, spending the time he spent on top of the world as a bargaining chip for entry.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

That central midfield and bench we had was absolutely ridiculous - especially in hindsight when you look at where they ended up.

The rest of the actual first XI wasnt terrible...

Friedel

L. Young, Collins, Dunne, Warnock

Albrighton, Bannan, Hogg, Downing, A. Young 

Gabby

-------

Guzan, Lichaj, Lowry, Osbourne, Johnson, Herd, Delfouneso

Absolutely played them off the park for 70 odd minutes, then Vidic (I think?) got one back and then the whole ground knew what was coming. **** Macheda. Again.

Criminal result.

For some reason I thought there were more kids playing but I remember the 3 that did play were excellent.

In recent years the obvious one is Dougie Luiz.

Going back a bit, I don’t think we were very fair on a lot of players during the Gregory / DOL / Taylor 2 era.

Peter Crouch wasn’t given a chance and turned out to be a quality PL striker, but there were several examples like that.

A lot depends on expectations at the time we buy a player.

7 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

Lerner ended up out of his depth financially because the PL league expanded in terms of value massively in the 10 years he owned the club whereas his wealth seemed to contract. When he bought the club we were one the top spenders in the league for the first 3/4 years. By the back end of the Lambert years we were being outspent by championship clubs and he clearly hadn’t the money to put in.

Ellis never had any such excuse - he hamstrung us with petty penny pinching at every occasion when the opportunities were there to kick on to be one of the top clubs in England.

Or on our arse like Leeds? Chelsea missed out on being on theirs as well thanks to Russian money. 

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Was never the biggest Concrete Ron fan but the shitshow at centre back when he left such a huge gap

Pity nobody ever added the water to the dry mix on that concrete....

Â