Villa players and managers who don't seem so bad now ...

Marka Ragnos

Also Darren Bent, we knew what we were getting when we signed him and he was socring goals tbf to him. Then Benteke arrived and was the shiny new thing, that whole era with Lambert and the bomb squad makes me cringe now, half of the fanbase was divided between those who would not utter a single word against the team or board and defended us signing league 1 players, the other half were disgusted at what was happening. I remember us all having to pick a side and basically savage those players in the bomb squad, who didnt actually do anything wrong except be offered big deals by the club in better times. So glad we are a professional outfit again and seen as that by others!

• Like 1

Just now, Villatillidie95 said:

Also Darren Bent, we knew what we were getting when we signed him and he was socring goals tbf to him. Then Benteke arrived and was the shiny new thing, that whole era with Lambert and the bomb squad makes me cringe now, half of the fanbase was divided between those who would not utter a single word against the team or board and defended us signing league 1 players, the other half were disgusted at what was happening. I remember us all having to pick a side and basically savage those players in the bomb squad, who didnt actually do anything wrong except be offered big deals by the club in better times. So glad we are a professional outfit again and seen as that by others!

My memory of bent was under ginger bollocks the fans around me in the upper holte shouting at him every week that he wasn't trying hard enough, that he should press more, that he should jump more and challenge for balls more

They seemed completely oblivious to him having no other villa player within 40 yards of him... Moaning cos he's not doing a 1 man press vs 4 defenders or challenging to win a flick on to absolutely no one...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

My memory of bent was under ginger bollocks the fans around me in the upper holte shouting at him every week that he wasn't trying hard enough, that he should press more, that he should jump more and challenge for balls more

They seemed completely oblivious to him having no other villa player within 40 yards of him... Moaning cos he's not doing a 1 man press vs 4 defenders or challenging to win a flick on to absolutely no one...

That’s football fans for you.

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

That’s football fans for you.

Yeah can also remember the guy who shouted "get up you poof" at okore as he lay on the ground having done his ligaments and went out for the season (and arguably never recovered)

• Shocked 2

The thing with Darren Bent was when he signed he had Young on one side supplying crosses for tap ins and Downing on the other doing the same thing.  Bent thrived on that kind of service.

At the end of that season both Young and Downing were sold so cutting off Bent's supply line, he was never the type of striker who was going to search for the ball and drop deep or run onto balls played in behind.

• Like 1

On 05/07/2023 at 09:16, The Fun Factory said:

Bosnich had  one season as first choice for United and then went to west London night clubs. Downing failed at Liverpool so  personally I wouldn't put them in the kicked on list.

Downing was a dreadful footballer imo - probably the most one sided player I have ever seen.

• Haha 2

On 05/07/2023 at 18:37, ChesterDad said:

I don’t really get the Southgate gate, he was a really good player for us and full value for £4 mill if I remember correctly, he is a bit conservative as a manager but overall he has done a good job with the national team. 
The anti Villa thing is something that I find hard to swallow - surely he would not spite himself ? 
Also McLeish - a really good guy by all accounts and honest with it.

His only crime was being naive enough to think we would buy into him  after his blues tenure, but how many managers turn down Villa? 

More like £2.5m I think - record signing until Savo soon  after

Edited by one_ian_taylor

I actually liked Houllier and Roy Keane as they both called out that useless Gabby Agbonlahor - even at the time, he was somehow managing to hoodwink many fans. There is a reason Gobby didn’t like Keane, he knew he was woeful.

30 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

I actually liked Houllier and Roy Keane as they both called out that useless Gabby Agbonlahor - even at the time, he was somehow managing to hoodwink many fans. There is a reason Gobby didn’t like Keane, he knew he was woeful.

"Calling out"???? Liking" or not "liking" players on personal terms????? Slamming a player who scored double-digits for Villa for three seasons as "useless"??? Am I missing something here? Gabby was an excellent player who peaked comparably early, in his early 20s. Not the greatest on earth but surely not "useless." Martin O'Neill seemed to be able to get a lot out of him and others didn't. I feel like you may be letting his famously difficult personality serve as filter in looking at the facts of the career although you're not the first.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

"Calling out"???? Liking" or not "liking" players on personal terms????? Slamming a player who scored double-digits for Villa for three seasons as "useless"??? Am I missing something here? Gabby was an excellent player who peaked comparably early, in his early 20s. Not the greatest on earth but surely not "useless." Martin O'Neill seemed to be able to get a lot out of him and others didn't. I feel like you may be letting his famously difficult personality serve as filter in looking at the facts of the career although you're not the first.

13 goals in last 5 seasons. Stole a living. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

13 goals in last 5 seasons. Stole a living. 

Hey, I can Google, too. He never really hit the levels again that he did with MON. But "stole?" Did he not have a contract? Did we not agree it? 

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

No. Gabby was a poison especially when he got made captain

His "efforts" in the relegation season were criminal

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Downing was a dreadful footballer imo - probably the most one sided player I have ever seen.

Not dreadful- he did play for England- but not really top 6 material hence his story stay at Liverpoool. We actually got a good price for him.

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Albrighton was always underappreciated.

He could have played first team football for the last 10 years at Villa. 

And Steven Davis. You would have thought fellow Northern Irelander MON would have stuck with him but he was sold off to Fulham and replaced with players not a lot better on higher wages.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Yes he was a key  player for us under O'Neil. He was probably the quickest forward in the Premier League for a period. I never thought he was a crap player but lost his pace and motivation later on in his career. 

Bent big money signing with a reputation for being right up there as a goal scorer and although he did well for us for a short while, he's done nothing for any other team since he left us. So can't be all on Lambert. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Oh gosh - you are incredibly wide of the mark.

Gobby was bang average at his very best, fast but tactically inept as a footballer.

I have no qualms in saying, he is one of the luckiest men to play for Aston Villa imo.

He should have purchased running spikes and joined Birchfield Harriers 

I do think he is also a terrible pundit - but don’t let this blind you into thinking this impacts my view of the footballer - he was awful.

Oh and don’t forget his behaviour the season we were relegated.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Not dreadful- he did play for England- but not really top 6 material hence his story stay at Liverpoool. We actually got a good price for him.

Think we will have to agree to disagree 

Â