Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

This was my most recent effort for those that are interested

spacer.png

Yeah that's amazing. This is the colour scheme though, except for the shit rush job I've done of it:

nb16-Me-K-new-Colours.jpg

Except light blue next to yellow clearly doesn't work (d'oh!) which is why you've used a double border I guess, but it's not needed anymore:

nb16-Me-K-new-Colour.jpg

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

true, it’s just a shame that the fortune made the rest of the badge boring and generic. 

I assume the restrictions we placed on them made it the way it was as a whole package.  It's grown on me, probably due to the success,  but it does lack vibrancy for sure. Lack of gold highlighting maybe an issue. Whatever, its definitely mistakable for others when monochrome. 

Having seen their other works and what they're capable of,  I'm loathe to place the blame on them. I'd love to see some of their concepts that perhaps stretched the brief to its limits or beyond, bet they'd be great. 

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

It’s all because some mad chairman wanted to change the club colours of Cardiff, clubs now have to engage and design by committee. I get certain things should be consulted with fans but I feel that in this instance it should have been done after the professionals had produced their designs without restrictions. 

We all have different opinions and are of different eras. Round badge is nostalgic to some whereas others it’s just that - a round badge with no sentimental attachments. Without fan engagement we could’ve ended up with something really special. Now we have a compromise and that will sadly always be the case. 

I do agree with you, especially seeing how poorly the badge fan survey last season was handled. Although to be fair, the badge we're having next season has had absolutely zero fan consultation, bar the FAB being told that a leak was true: and that one's about as compromisey (and dreadful) as you can get!

• Like 1

I do wonder who exactly created next season's badge: it presumably isn't going to be Dragon Rouge given all of their work has been seemingly binned. Presumably it's been done in-house?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

I do wonder who exactly created next season's badge: it presumably isn't going to be Dragon Rouge given all of their work has been seemingly binned. Presumably it's been done in-house?

I suspect Dragon Rouge will never want to work with us again!

It'd be interesting to know who has worked on the new iteration of the old badge or whether we've done it in-house.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'd be interesting to know who has worked on the new iteration of the old badge or whether we've done it in-house.

Got in-house written all over it!

Football is very similar to politics - no-one will ever admit they made a mistake.

Edited by Stephen_Evans
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Yeah that's amazing. This is the colour scheme though, except for the shit rush job I've done of it:

Except light blue next to yellow clearly doesn't work (d'oh!) which is why you've used a double border I guess, but it's not needed anymore:

nb16-Me-K-new-Colour.jpg

I think both variations work, and both have advantages/disadvantages. I like claret background with a gold lion as it looks very classy and a lion being gold makes sense, however the blue background with a claret lion stands out more on our home strip which is probably the most important placement for our brand and it contains more of our main colours. 

I can see the arguments for both.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I assume the restrictions we placed on them made it the way it was as a whole package.  It's grown on me, probably due to the success,  but it does lack vibrancy for sure. Lack of gold highlighting maybe an issue. Whatever, its definitely mistakable for others when monochrome. 

Having seen their other works and what they're capable of,  I'm loathe to place the blame on them. I'd love to see some of their concepts that perhaps stretched the brief to its limits or beyond, bet they'd be great. 

The blame isn’t on them tbh. They had a naff brief formed from a rubbish questioner made by our club. 

Asking about what design elements the fans wanted. On the surface that’s fine, but fans are nostalgic for the old round logo. And the elements voted for  added up to the old round badge

Yet, we didn’t get that badge, we got something else. Something too akin to the standard round badge design in football. 

Our club should have known the fans would lean towards the old round badge in that questioner. It should have asked questions about the feelings of each badges give us. Why we (in general) gravitate or not. 

if the brief was formed from fans words and feelings rather than poll results, we may of had something really “Aston Villa”.. 😂 probably the old badge with a cleaner lion 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

As long as we paid them I'm not sure they will be all that bothered. Maybe slightly disappointed if we'd talked up more branding work in the future, but if we wanted to pay for them to have another go I'm sure to they'd be more than happy to take our money again.

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

As long as we paid them I'm not sure they will be all that bothered. Maybe slightly disappointed if we'd talked up more branding work in the future, but if we wanted to pay for them to have another go I'm sure to they'd be more than happy to take our money again.

They had a big launch programme planned, a load of stuff on their website, and a whole lot of stuff about strengthening their own brand through the brands they've worked with - that got dragged out from under them at the last minute and they'll have done a load of work that didn't see the light of day - I'm sure they were paid for it, but you'd imagine they'd still see it as a waste of time.

You're right though, I'm guessing they'd still take our pound if offered.

Heck has a good relationship with a very well regarded agency (that I can't remember the name of, but they're in this thread somewhere) who designed all the 76'ers stuff with him - they'd probably be a decent pick.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

They had a big launch programme planned, a load of stuff on their website, and a whole lot of stuff about strengthening their own brand through the brands they've worked with - that got dragged out from under them at the last minute and they'll have done a load of work that didn't see the light of day - I'm sure they were paid for it, but you'd imagine they'd still see it as a waste of time.

You're right though, I'm guessing they'd still take our pound if offered.

Heck has a good relationship with a very well regarded agency (that I can't remember the name of, but they're in this thread somewhere) who designed all the 76'ers stuff with him - they'd probably be a decent pick.

Think it was Mother Design or something like that, remember having a look at some of their work and it was very impressive. No idea if they are who we are using now though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ingers said:

drrxAez.png

@CarryOnVilla - apologies, I didn't reply yesterday - had to go to bed down here, and 'ran out of replies' - I can only post 5 times a day as I'm a newbie! 

To answer your question - I'd pitch these design to the Villa, - as I think they fit the bill and represent Villa for shirt, media, merchandising, stadium etc.  I'd also pass on the blue AV diamond on claret background with gold lion,  from someone on here previously - Teale's Tash I think - that is a fantastic design, unique for villa designs, has heritage with the old frontage and top of old Trinity Rd fascia vibes, fairly unique (I can only think of Monchengladbach with a diamond shape) and just stands out for Villa, looked good on kit mock up and great design - doesn't say our name, but I don't think it needs to.

@Teale's 'tache - if that was your design, can you repost it please? - I can't locate it in the 240 pages of this thread.  And I hear your point on designers possibly having their hands tied - which may well be the case, Id love to hear the brief they were given!  Apologies if I came across too hard, when they are probably restricted to half a job, to tweak the rubbish we already have, to save costs, and potentially evolve one slow mutation at a time, but its so bad!....

Nice that you narrowed it down to 5… and to one lion too. You getting closer to your ideal one. 

2 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

I've crossed paths with quite a few top folks at design agencies including Interbrand (ones who did the Juve logo), Pentagram , WeLaunch. They are all pretty plugged in. When a design bombs most times it has to do with a very limiting brief or interference from the client's CEO or Marketing Director - who feel "they know better".  

The round badge looks good. 

The lion looks great. 

The issue is it looks to similar to Chelsea. It's not really a fault of the design company. The other option they provided was also good. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

nb16-Me-K-new-Colour.jpg

The claret badge on a claret kit I don't think works

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've been saying this about our kits and branding for years and years.

Too many restrictions, most of which are clutching to the past.

Codswallop.

Every single year, fans knock up kits 20x better than what we end up with.

On the last few pages people have come up with 20+ better badges than we've had for the last 17 years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

By now, I would have no issue with the round one (although I prefer a gold lion) as long as the lion faced the correct/original way! It’s so awkward on the shirt and will never look correct to me… always thought it was a stupid and unnecessary decision… obviously based on or took inspiration from our original round badge (when we won in ‘82) so why mess with it to that extent??

But, none of those things are going to happen. The round badge is dead… which is a shame really as it is so associated with what has and will be a brilliant and memorable season…

This current way, is the original way for the lion to face if you go back to our original lion (1886…) 

Â