F: Lazio (h - Bescot): Thurs Aug 3 19.30

ender4

Really encouraging performance tonight against a very good team.

Thought the balance looked good in the first-half; Tielemans and Kamara looked good together and have a good blend.

Chambers showing his versatility which could be invaluable for Villa this season. Showing his ability at RB and CB.

Thought Pau Torres looked pretty good too, a defender who can play the ball.

Watkins scored a great goal and encapsulates everything that is great about him; you just know he will score when he gets into those positions. But in front of goal from the penalty spot you know he will miss; what is that all about?

Nice to see Bailey having a go and showing glimpses of why he was bought in the first place.

I must admit Cash is a favourite of mine and he's been playing really well in preseason and he got an assist for McGinn. Good to see.

Really positive stuff and reminds me of the Taylor, Atkinson days at Villa. Just all so positive.

• Like 2

Just now, rjw63 said:

Just the one?

Lightweight 😜

I started on red wine, then found some decent vodka and finished it, looked around and found a bottle of talisker so who knows 🤪

• Like 1

Just now, Zero7 said:

I started on red wine, then found some decent vodka and finished it, looked around and found a bottle of talisker so who knows 🤪

Good man 👍🏼

It’s the first time in a long time we actually have options all around the pitch. The reality is some very decent players are going to be on the bench day 1 against Newcastle but our bench will be strong. It’s going to be a long season and most players are going to play a part! 

The standouts for me tonight were Tielemans, Pau, Kamara, McGinn and I thought Couthino looked right up for it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Creeper said:

We played brilliant. Only downside was the Lazio fans doing the Nazi salute in the first half. Police and security did nothing. Very disappointing.

Should be zero tolerance for that shite

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I watch a lot of football but I haven’t heard of any of the teams who they have played so far this preseason.

I thought tonight was a bit of a waste of a friendly they were that bad, they offered nothing. 

3 minutes ago, WHY said:

I watch a lot of football but I haven’t heard of any of the teams who they have played so far this preseason.

I thought tonight was a bit of a waste of a friendly they were that bad, they offered nothing. 

They were poor, hopefully Valencia provide a sterner test…

We still haven’t seen a Pau and Mings CB partnership tried out either…

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

They were poor, hopefully Valencia provide a sterner test…

We still haven’t seen a Pau and Mings CB partnership tried out either…

I thought their season must start a lot later than ours based on their fitness but it’s only a week later. They also finished runners up last season. 

32 minutes ago, Creeper said:

We played brilliant. Only downside was the Lazio fans doing the Nazi salute in the first half. Police and security did nothing. Very disappointing.

Police are never a million miles from the nihilism of the nazis by design.

36 minutes ago, Creeper said:

I was on the other side of the ground so could only see them jumping up and down. Crazy to think a small pocket of fans can come all this way to a small town for a friendly and still act like scumbags. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Creeper said:

Do you know if there's a record of that? There should be repercussions back in Italy for that. Shameful.

43 minutes ago, Creeper said:

Oh, was that it? I thought they just didn't know how to wave

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I was on the other side of the ground so could only see them jumping up and down. Crazy to think a small pocket of fans can come all this way to a small town for a friendly and still act like scumbags. 

Agree, but I wouldn't assume (and I'm not saying you have) that they're not British. Lazio has the kind of reputation that might draw people aiming to cause hurt, who aren't there for the football. But they could face lifetime bans if IDed. The Lazio club doesn't want these scumbags around any more than we do, I would think.

Top Italian soccer club Lazio announced on Thursday that it had imposed lifetime bans on three supporters who proffered fascist salutes and sang antisemitic chants during last Sunday’s 1-0 victory over city rivals Roma.

According to the police in Rome, one of the excluded fans is a German national who has previously been involved with Lazio’s far right “Ultras.” The individual was captured on CCTV wearing a jersey embossed with the name “Hitlerson” and the number “88” — code in neo-Nazi circles for the slogan “Heil Hitler.”

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Really encouraging performance tonight against a very good team.

Thought the balance looked good in the first-half; Tielemans and Kamara looked good together and have a good blend.

Chambers showing his versatility which could be invaluable for Villa this season. Showing his ability at RB and CB.

Thought Pau Torres looked pretty good too, a defender who can play the ball.

Watkins scored a great goal and encapsulates everything that is great about him; you just know he will score when he gets into those positions. But in front of goal from the penalty spot you know he will miss; what is that all about?

Nice to see Bailey having a go and showing glimpses of why he was bought in the first place.

I must admit Cash is a favourite of mine and he's been playing really well in preseason and he got an assist for McGinn. Good to see.

Really positive stuff and reminds me of the Taylor, Atkinson days at Villa. Just all so positive.

They might have finished second but they'll always be the Roman Noses in my book, Roman equivalent of the bin dippers...

Â