F: Lazio (h - Bescot): Thurs Aug 3 19.30

ender4

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Doubt they'll play as a three though. Emery seems to be persisting with this 4-4-2 system (that's not a complaint, it works!)

We've not finished our transfer business yet. If we were to sign someone like either Torres or Felix then presumably we'd have 3 in the middle and then ano, Ollie and Diaby up front.

But even so we quite often have our fourth midfielder playing as more of an attacking player when we have the ball and dropping back into a 4 when we don't have the ball.  Which would be the McGinn / Ramsey / Buendia role.

I think we'll play a mix of the two - more 4-3-3 when we are at home / or against teams where we expect to have more possession and more 4-4-2 when we are away / or against teams where we don't expect possession.  In either case I think KLT will be the normal three and then we'll either play McGinn or Ramsey to play a slightly less "disciplined" role (i.e. one where they are given more licence to roam and harrangue the opposition when we don't have the ball and to join the attack when we do).  The huge advantage is that if K, L or T are out / need resting / just off form then McGinn or Ramsey can both step into that more disciplined role (10 months ago I would have been nervous about McGinn in that role as he was better harrying further up the pitch - but he proved at the tail end of last season that he can do an excellent job there).

Again the point is - we have SO many options now it is amazing.  Just what you want - 5 players who could all easily stake a good claim as to why they should start in midfield (injury permitting) against Newcastle.  Will keep everyone on their toes - but also means that we can keep everyone fresher for longer into the season. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pintpotvilla said:

I think they seemed totally outplayed. That was their problem!!!

"Seemed" is the operative word. The old adage that you can only play as well as your opponent lets you is appropriate here. Did Lazio roll over or were they rolled over?

Lazio may have finished 2nd in Serie A but they really aren't that good. The value of their squad on transfermarkt would rank them 18th if they played in the Premier League, plus their league starts a week later so we are further along with our fitness. Yesterday was a good win but the three friendlies against Newcastle, Fulham and Brentford were a better gauge as to where we are.

From this I see us being set up so well for a run at the Conference League. There is so much extra space and time in Europe. I'm not sure if our form of press will translate against every team in the PL but in Europe we will be laughably effective. It felt like the dress rehearsal for Europe. Repeat that against Valencia and we can really talk.

Â