Pau Torres

Delphinho123

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ok. Nothing special tbh. People praising simple passes and ignoring the risky ones that will be punished.

Mings played much better and received less praise. 

The fact were 5th and 2pts off 1st with a new CB pairing is a thing of wonder. Generally speaking poor results can follow with new CB pairing early on but here we are. I guess some people are just permanent nit-picking, glass half empty types. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

The fact were 5th and 2pts off 1st with a new CB pairing is a thing of wonder. Generally speaking poor results can follow with new CB pairing early on but here we are. I guess some people are just permanent nit-picking, glass half empty types. 

We’d be in the same position, possibly with a point or two more with Mings. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You're probably right, because as you say Mings is a very good player and leader.

But given we're, as you've admitted, in the same position, it's probably testament to Pau doing a pretty good job too.

I’d say that’s a fair assessment. I just find it odd he gets so much praise for the simple stuff that Mings could do (and a helluva lot more). I saw someone put together a video compilation of his passing and he’s literally passing it side to side under no pressure and everybody was jizzing themselves over it.

He’s nothing special for me, not yet anyway. I actually think Konsa, Digne and Cash have been very, very good this season. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d say that’s a fair assessment. I just find it odd he gets so much praise for the simple stuff that Mings could do (and a helluva lot more). I saw someone put together a video compilation of his passing and he’s literally passing it side to side under no pressure and everybody was jizzing themselves over it.

He’s nothing special for me, not yet anyway. I actually think Konsa, Digne and Cash have been very, very good this season. 

There's some things Mings can do that Pau never could. There's some things Pau does that Mings never could.

They're very different Centrebacks.

Pau is in a different league to Mings when it comes to passing the ball

• Like 4

Honestly, I am still trying to get my head around a CB that excels in passing more than defending.

During 1v1 situation on the break he gets twisted pretty easily which means he requires cover..

Because he is so elegant and gifted as a ball playing defender its one of those situations that if we win he gets the plaundits for a masterclass performance.

I am not convinced by his defensive abilities.. Rarely do I see him win aerial battles or get the better of a player in 1v1 situations..

I am optimistic that he will find his feet in terms of the defensive side of the game.

Offensively he offers something that no other Defender has in a Villa shirt..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Maybe, im not convinced ive seen Konsa play as well with Mings next to him. Konsa has commented similar that Mings being unavailable he led to him taking more responsibility.

I just wish we had Mings and Pau available. Certainly we have games where it would have been great to pick, or play Pau at left back.

He’s nowhere near as bad defensively as some point out but is absolutely a key reason why we are scoring so many more goals this season.

Him and Konsa are a joy to watch when they step out and are only going to continue to get better. 

Digne has played well but Moreno will release another level to Pau when he is back. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

So we would’ve drawn against Newcastle and/or Liverpool? Or you saying that we win the Wolves game?

3 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

So we would’ve drawn against Newcastle and/or Liverpool? Or you saying that we win the Wolves game?

Not sure. I think Torres cost us against Liverpool and we were badly affected by Mings injury up at Newcastle. 
Wolves. Tough one. Does Mings do better against Neto for the goal? Possibly, but Neto is a very good player. 

Torres has done ok. He's adapting to a new league and he's clearly comfortable on the ball. That said, I still don't think he's a patch on Mings. Not yet anyway. 

His passing is levels above any defender we’ve had at this club in a long time. And given how we play, it’s vital to getting players like Diaby on the ball in space. Defensively he’s decent enough, not world class, but when the team plays well he does his job

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not sure. I think Torres cost us against Liverpool and we were badly affected by Mings injury up at Newcastle. 
Wolves. Tough one. Does Mings do better against Neto for the goal? Possibly, but Neto is a very good player. 

Torres has done ok. He's adapting to a new league and he's clearly comfortable on the ball. That said, I still don't think he's a patch on Mings. Not yet anyway. 

Giving Trent all the time in the world and allowing Salah, diaz and nunez to run at us cost us against Liverpool. Mings defensively is more sound for now, but with the ball at their feet it isn’t close. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I love this - how elegantly you undermine the entire argument against Torres by admitting we would be little or no better off with Mings in his place!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I love this - how elegantly you undermine the entire argument against Torres by admitting we would be little or no better off with Mings in his place!

Not sure I follow. I believe we’d probably have a point or two more.

Torres has done ok. Played a couple of nice balls but has been poor defensively. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Honestly, I am still trying to get my head around a CB that excels in passing more than defending.

During 1v1 situation on the break he gets twisted pretty easily which means he requires cover..

Because he is so elegant and gifted as a ball playing defender its one of those situations that if we win he gets the plaundits for a masterclass performance.

I am not convinced by his defensive abilities.. Rarely do I see him win aerial battles or get the better of a player in 1v1 situations..

I am optimistic that he will find his feet in terms of the defensive side of the game.

Offensively he offers something that no other Defender has in a Villa shirt..

The idea is controlling games more, he is a brilliant passer of the ball and carries it forward to open up space. The aim is so we have a set of skilled progressive ball passers in the team, I think right now with Pau, Luiz, Kamara & McGinn we are keeping possession well and we are probing to find the pass into one of our two 10s which immediatly crates a dangerous central attack. The idea is if we control more games and we play the defensive high line we need to do less "defending". I think in games where we expect to have less control and thus defend more the plan is for 3 CBs. If think we've found the balance with Kamara playing in the RCB space and Luiz/McGinn centrally to give the back 3 even when we play 2 CBs. 

But Pau in team = more goals and more control. If we score more than the opposition that's the aim.

• Like 3

If you exclude Tielemans (who has 9.41 progressive passers per 90 this season but hasn't started a game yet). Our top 3 are McGinn and Luiz on 5.9 and 5.83 and then Pau on 4.48. While on Progressive Carries he's there on same level as McGinn 1.33 to 1.26. So he's one of the 2 sixes but in the 3rd line. 

• Thanks 1

Â