Pau Torres

Delphinho123

He is not the blood and thunder defender you need at places like St. James park and Anfield. He needs time to adjust to the pace of the PL. Let’s not start digging out players after a few games. 

• Like 1

This fantastical idea that he’s some sort of amazing ball player is lost on me.

If we want a decent passer of the ball back there, stick Tielemans at centre half. 

Defenders are in the team to stop the opposition from scoring. At the moment, he’s helping them. Needs to be a LOT better. Not half the player Mings is.

@Tomaszk called it. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, villan95 said:

It's a genuine concern at the moment that he doesn't look suited to Premier League football. 

I said it when he signed it will take him about 18 months to adapt

Its why none of the elite teams have ever went in for him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, His Name Is Death said:

This is exactly the sort of crap I mean. Do you realise how fickle this makes us look?

Then, when his peformances pick up, like McGinn and Konsa's did, he'll be a top-class 'Rolls Royce' defender once again and the fact that he was being slated as Emery's potential 'downfall' will suddenly be forgotten.

I said Torres was way short of Premier standard after Burnley in fairness. Skilled player but too soft and gets knocked off the ball too easily. Hope he improves but until he does, we have a problem !

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This fantastical idea that he’s some sort of amazing ball player is lost on me.

If we want a decent passer of the ball back there, stick Tielemans at centre half. 

Defenders are in the team to stop the opposition from scoring. At the moment, he’s helping them. Needs to be a LOT better. Not half the player Mings is.

@Tomaszk called it. 

He is an asset when we are not being pressured but a total liability when we are. Some say he needs to adapt and, if he is going to be a success in the PL, he will have to do so quickly. Torres really needs someone like Mings beside him, otherwise it's a recipe for disaster... and that's not the kind of cooking emery wants to be doing! 

So what are people saying? At the moment it appears to me that one of the most important signings we have made in years and also our key signing this summer is actually kinda rubbish? That’s what it seems like I’m reading at the moment anyway… is that correct? 

Just now, Tayls said:

So what are people saying? At the moment it appears to me that one of the most important signings we have made in years and also our key signing this summer is actually kinda rubbish? That’s what it seems like I’m reading at the moment anyway… is that correct? 

People just getting a bit upset and letting off a bit of steam about a bad performance on the back of some earlier also less convincing ones. We’ll get over it.

Though as an aside this is why I choose not to concern myself with “BEST TRANSFER WINDOW EVER!!!!” type posts. I don’t think we ever know how good it was until much later.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

I said Torres was way short of Premier standard after Burnley in fairness. Skilled player but too soft and gets knocked off the ball too easily. Hope he improves but until he does, we have a problem !

But can it really be said that he's fallen below expectations when this was a well-known weakness of his before we bought him? He wasn't intended to fulfill a physically-dominant role in the system and now injuries to Mings, Moreno and Carlos mean we have to find ways to compensate for this, even if it means asking him to play in a style he's not comfortable with.

(I do think football fans often underestimate just how specific players' roles are and how dependent they are on the system ticking along nicely. I doubt there are very many players who can override this and immediately compensate for the loss of a player who fulfills a different role. Perhaps this was less true in the past, and perhaps that's why people have this expectation of players taking charge when things go pear-shaped?)

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 2

Â