Pau Torres

Delphinho123

I think people are really underestimating this guy. GRanted I havent' watched him very much for VillaReal but whenever I've seen him for Spain he's looked very good indeed.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

Am I the only one that didn't think he did that badly on Saturday under the circumstances? It also took Moreno a few games to get going, he also came on for his debut sooner than probably expected as Digne got injured mid game.  I think in a few weeks, once Pau get's up to speed with the league, he's going to have fans of other clubs question why their team didn't sign him. 

He got burned a few times, including once for a goal, so I think that he did pretty badly, but I agree with Moreno analogy. He will come good.

On 14/08/2023 at 05:08, Marka Ragnos said:

Quite possible. We'll see. Torres is nothing like Mings, of course. The single biggest standout skill of Pau Torres is his ability to keep the ball glued to his feet as he avoids tackles and dribbles or passes forward. He does this over and over and over and over again. He was doing it a bit on Saturday. The man is hard as **** to successfully tackle, and he progresses balls reliably. He has a host of lesser talents, too, but his ball retention is the crown jewel.

He loves a fake clearance to beat a man!

• Like 2

Between him, Carlos and Konsa, we need one of them to find their voice and step up into the leadership/organiser role at the back to replace Mings. Nothing better than hearing Ty calling out in that booming voice of his. Konsa and Torres seem more quiet types 

• Like 1

I don't have time to go through all the threads , but back in July weren't most people assuming his signing meant Mings would be moving to the bench  ?

Obviously , no one wanted it to be in this manner , but the inference was he's an upgrade on Mings  , he's just being thrown in a lot sooner than maybe everyone would have liked 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I don't have time to go through all the threads , but back in July weren't most people assuming his signing meant Mings would be moving to the bench  ?

Obviously , no one wanted it to be in this manner , but the inference was he's an upgrade on Mings  , he's just being thrown in a lot sooner than maybe everyone would have liked 

I don’t see them as equivalent players. Torres is the ball playing CB and Mings was the big unit. I think it would be Carlos who takes that role now. 

• Like 3

Can I ask, am I mad or did we buy Torres as an upgrade on our current centre back options? Did he not have to be convinced to join Villa because he really wanted Champions League? I certainly hope the idea wasn't to spend £35 million on a bench warmer. So with that in mind, and with all due respect to Mings ( please recover as soon as possible) surely this has just hastened the inevitable? So why am I reading about buying yet another centre back, and if that did happen how the hell would Pau feel about that, let alone Carlos? 

Edited by Wurzel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Can I ask, am I mad or did we buy Torres as an upgrade on our current centre back options? Did he not have to be convinced to join Villa because he really wanted Champions League? I certainly hope the idea wasn't to spend £35 million on a bench warmer. So with that in mind, and with all due respect to Mings ( please recover as soon as possible) surely this has just hastened the inevitable? So why am I reading about buying yet another centre back, and if that did happen how the hell would Pau feel about that, let alone Carlos? 

Not mad. Not at all. It may be a just shade overly simple in how you present the process of integrating Torres? The transfer market is way too volatile -- especially for a club at Villa's stage -- for rigid planning. I think there's always going to be an opportunistic and imperfect element to bringing in new talent and integrating it  -- getting square pegs to fit and horses for courses, etc.  I think as as club we need to let go of the idea of "replacing" Mings. We can never do that. We're in uncharted terrain now.

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

No. I said would be crazy to drop Mings and was echoed by Villa fan/ Spanish football podcaster asked about Torres to Villa on a Villa podcast that for all his skill he can't compete with Mings for physicality in defence, aerial ball winning etc

5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Not mad. Not at all. It may be a just shade overly simple in how you present the process of integrating Torres? The transfer market is way too volatile -- especially for a club at Villa's stage -- for rigid planning. I think there's always going to be an opportunistic and imperfect element to bringing in new talent and integrating it  -- getting square pegs to fit and horses for courses, etc.  I think as as club we need to let go of the idea of "replacing" Mings. We can never do that. We're in uncharted terrain now.

I get the whole new player integration thing, but we are talking about a player who has played for Spain and consistently in Europe so I think he is a class up on Ming's. As for never replacing a player I've been watching the Villa since the 70s and we have always replaced players and the good news is we quality already at the club.

• Like 2

On 14/08/2023 at 08:18, duke313 said:

Am I the only one that didn't think he did that badly on Saturday under the circumstances? It also took Moreno a few games to get going, he also came on for his debut sooner than probably expected as Digne got injured mid game.  I think in a few weeks, once Pau get's up to speed with the league, he's going to have fans of other clubs question why their team didn't sign him. 

Only thing that worried me was his recovery pace on balls beyond our high line. Looked very slow to turn and was caught out a few times. Kind of a freak game but somethng to keep an eye on, but everything else looked really good.

54 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Only thing that worried me was his recovery pace on balls beyond our high line. Looked very slow to turn and was caught out a few times. Kind of a freak game but somethng to keep an eye on, but everything else looked really good.

He was caught out because we lost the ball in their half and never cut the ball over the top out or even closed them down to stop it.

We only play a highline when we are in possession of the ball, if we then lose it cheaply and don't react to close the ball out down then we are going to end up in a foot race back, forwards are always going to be favourite to win.

Emery wants to keep possession, if it's difficult then we need to play it back to the defense and start again, stretching the opposition. We can pass it out if we have a mobile midfield, wingers and or forwards, on Sunday we didn't have that. 

Torres will be our best defender, I have no doubt about that,  he needs a few games to settle. 

Edited by tinker
  • Like 3

I think its safe to say Pau will look miles better this weekend after having another week to settle in.  Plus playing at home against a weaker opponent.  Every week in the 1st11 he will get more comfortable and continue to impress. UTV

• Like 1

Â