Youri Tielemans

thejoker

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He was shocking tonight, but played a big part in winning us a game, what, 5 days ago. Perhaps some overreactions,

I wouldn't call it an overreaction - but we will play very few teams that won't target Tielemans like that. He's slow, unathletic, and hardly won anything in the midfield.

One of multiple weak links in our defense tonight.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He was shocking tonight, but played a big part in winning us a game, what, 5 days ago. Perhaps some overreactions,

Won't get an overreaction from me. Majority of the team was poor and when that happens it goes to rat sh*t. There's only one remedy and that's to turn the tables at Villa Park. We're far better than we showed.

Head doesn't seem quite right - he looks like he wants it to be easy and it's not.

If he can catch himself on and gain some self awareness, there's plenty of talent in him - but without application he'll be throwing away what could be a really good career.

It's a different role to what he did at Leicester. It's a slower pace, they wanted to get the ball out wide and over the top very quickly.

He was almost in the way at times tonight, not really being in the right position and trying to force it forward. He seems to struggle more vs defensive teams, perhaps he will look better when we have more space but he will have to adapt as most our games won't be like that.

I just don't know if he will work in a pivot. If I recall, Rodgers mostly played a 3 in midfield, which makes sense. He's got a CDM next to him and then another CM to help him out. In the double pivot - he has a lot more space to cover and it shows that he's not a ball winner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

I just don't know if he will work in a pivot. If I recall, Rodgers mostly played a 3 in midfield, which makes sense. He's got a CDM next to him and then another CM to help him out. In the double pivot - he has a lot more space to cover and it shows that he's not a ball winner.

Agreed, it's not his position at all. At Leicester when he was good and before the Leicester fans all hated him, his strength was getting forward and beating the press. In a two he looks as bad as McGinn used to when he played there under Smith, it just doesn't work. With Kamara in a bit of a trough at the moment though we don't have that much in the way of back up.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Nope no overreactions here.

We knew what we were getting from his time at Leicester.

Terrible.

2 hours ago, Risso said:

Agreed, it's not his position at all. At Leicester when he was good and before the Leicester fans all hated him, his strength was getting forward and beating the press. In a two he looks as bad as McGinn used to when he played there under Smith, it just doesn't work. With Kamara in a bit of a trough at the moment though we don't have that much in the way of back up.

He played more advanced intially, we had Ndidi with two 8's (Tielemans and Maddison) but then Rodgers decided he wanted a more able passer of the ball to receive off the defence and play forward (Ndidi is hopeless at this), so Tielemans dropped back, often Ndidi was ahead of Tielemans and this went on up until relegation (Soumare replacing Ndidi eventually 🤦‍♂️). But this required more defensive work and to get up and down the pitch more. As you can see he can't do this. I honestly think he'd struggle in the Championship now, we'd be much worse off with him here put it that way. He's spent, his legs have gone as I said when he signed and was laughed at. All he's got is a decent through ball, the odd wonder strike but the negatives outweigh any positives left in his game.

Edited by marklcfc
  • Shocked 1

14 hours ago, Risso said:

Unfortunately there’s no way Tielemans can get forward and beat the press any more, he is a very tidy passer of the ball but athleticism is not something he has at all. When he was 20 or 21 at Leicester first he was an all action midfielder, but something has happened to him in the years since as he plays like someone who is much, much older than he actually is. I do agree he needs to be in a midfield 3 alongside someone more defensive and someone more mobile / dynamic

He wasn’t great, and looked way off the pace. The same could be said of most of the team. Let’s not write him off just yet though, he’s had some good moments this season and shown some high quality passing. Enough to know he will be useful at times this season. Mostly from the bench but if he can integrate over the season and pick some form up then he’ll get more minutes. 

If he continues to perform like last night though, he’ll have been a poor signing. 

Edited by It's Your Round
  • Like 2

Must admit was never a fan of Tielemans and his interview doesn't really help his cause much as his performances haven't been great.

Villa really needed his experience against Legia and he was a complete non-entity which is worrying.

He has time to improve and hopefully he can get going with Villa.

I’ve not seen today, but if he was improved it does fit with what was said by Leicester journalist on the Claret and Blue podcast when he signed. It was said he gets better playing regularly, which is why he was never rested there. 

The problem we have is that he’s unlikely to be a regular starter so won’t the run of games to get fully up to speed.

Â