Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

The result at Chelsea made things a bit better, Luiz penalty made it a bit worse. But still a lot to go, if we secured CL this weekend, thre approach at Greece will be unthinkable. I don’t think we came to a similar situation this season (well after losing to Lille possibly) but that was during the game. While trying to save energy. If we managed to qualify to CL, last two games would be rotation ones, so we can throw all of our strength in Greece to show Europe and the whole world who’s Aston Villa. 
Despite all circumstances, we came back, we were coming back again had we score the penalty. Our character is being strong, despite nerves when we go up 2-0, we still seem to be in games despite losing. We score some late goals as well. 
Still a lot to come. Let’s focus right now on Brighton then see what happens in Liverpool. 

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We all know Liverpool will beat us. That's inevitable. 

Is it bollocks. That's the one out the three I am most confident in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Not a done deal, but highly unlikely.

7 points gap, they can make 12, we can make 9.

Let's assume we lose all of our remaining 3 games just for fun.

If Tottenham win 4, they get CL

If Tottenham win 3 and draw 1, they get CL

If Tottenham win 3 and lose 1, they get CL

If Tottenham win 2, and draw 2, they get CL

If Tottenham win 2, and draw 1 and lose 1, then it comes down to goal difference.

Any other result and it is Villa's.

I don't buy that they can win more than 2 games with the way they are playing, so they'd have to get at least a draw against Liverpool or City to stand a chance.

Edited by ChicagoVillan1983
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

And I'll be controversial... We don't need a tin pot, we need the revenues of the Champions League to be able to kick on to the next phase of our development.

I can wait for a real cup like the FA Cup, premier league or Champions League.

Nobody will care about the conference league in 20 years time.

...but ... but .. the Intertoto!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

And I'll be controversial... We don't need a tin pot, we need the revenues of the Champions League to be able to kick on to the next phase of our development.

It’s not as we’ve been winning anything, last two trophies were similar with what you said.

We’re not in a point to underestimate any possible trophy. Actually even the regular top teams are now trying to win cups (much stronger sides than before 5-10 years). If Chelsea made it to the Conference they’ll play to win it, even though they had recent success with CL and Europa as well.

And it’s not that or that, we do our best in each competition and see what comes. 

Especially with what we’re doing, a trophy would help us continue, people say look at West Ham, Leicester…etc

Leicester had a great success even after they won the league, they won a cup and failed twice CL, but haven’t won a cup in Europe. They had management issues and was affected by some sad events, so can’t really compare. Add to that, they changed the management..etc

West Ham won but without having q progressive football to build on, they had Moyes who’s playing classic football which might get some short term success. 

What Villa is doing is gradual improvement, however, winning things will always help. Ofcourse a CL appearance would help but trophies will be memories and will also have a different effect. 

I’m still hopeful of a historical comeback from Greece. Winning a cup this season will make pressure even less next season. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

It’s not as we’ve been winning anything, last two trophies were similar with what you said.

We’re not in a point to underestimate any possible trophy. Actually even the regular top teams are now trying to win cups (much stronger sides than before 5-10 years). If Chelsea made it to the Conference they’ll play to win it, even though they had recent success with CL and Europa as well.

And it’s not that or that, we do our best in each competition and see what comes. 

Especially with what we’re doing, a trophy would help us continue, people say look at West Ham, Leicester…etc

Leicester had a great success even after they won the league, they won a cup and failed twice CL, but haven’t won a cup in Europe. They had management issues and was affected by some sad events, so can’t really compare. Add to that, they changed the management..etc

West Ham won but without having q progressive football to build on, they had Moyes who’s playing classic football which might get some short term success. 

What Villa is doing is gradual improvement, however, winning things will always help. Ofcourse a CL appearance would help but trophies will be memories and will also have a different effect. 

I’m still hopeful of a historical comeback from Greece. Winning a cup this season will make pressure even less next season. 

I agree. And we have nothing to fear in Greece. Another learning curve at the very least.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

I'm also not bothered about CL.  I watched today's game quite relaxed and was much more nervy about the Chelsea-Spurs result. Doubt CL will be around in 10 years time anyway.

• Like 1

1 year of Champions League isn’t going to kick us onto anything. 

If we start becoming regulars in the top 4 over the coming years fair enough but I find that highly unlikely. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, VillaJay said:

Fair play CVByrne your levels of optimism have been refreshing to see, glad to see, you seem much more optimistic and nearly a 360 from a few weeks ago.

I explained why this run to get CL had been so stressful. It is a sliding doors moment I believe for the club in terms of growth and in particular commercial revenue is the key to being able to compete at the top table consistently. So seeing us falter and potentially failing to get CL was making me defeatist.

However, what is success for us? Is like how has it not just been amazing success so far regardless of of we end 5th. We will be competing for Europe every season and Europa League and ECL are trophies we would be favourites to win. 

If you can't enjoy the current team and manager and enjoy the games not fearing them. Then it's not the sport to follow. 

Players back from injury next season, more upgrading of the squad. Lots of great times still ahead 

• Like 3

Yeah the focus has always been UCL first, ECL second, we have got further than I think Unai might have expected given the squad rotation in Europe. As others have said, it’s been about the journey and we are so vastly more experienced now in a European competition that when we hopefully enter the UCL we do so with wisdom, something NUFC did not have the benefit of. 

• Like 1

I think winning Conference League was going to be a big boost to our co-efficient as being in the 3rd bucket for seeding in CL means easier games. I've no idea where we are if we win 2-1 2nd leg and go out. It depends on who qualifies in other countries.

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think winning Conference League was going to be a big boost to our co-efficient as being in the 3rd bucket for seeding in CL means easier games. I've no idea where we are if we win 2-1 2nd leg and go out. It depends on who qualifies in other countries.

I think we are quite likely to play a couple of the top teams in Europe, which will be amazing considering where we were a few season ago. I am just enjoying the ride. Hopefully come Sunday evening we can break out the it's happening Gif in the thread 🤣

Keeping things on topic!

spurs lost!!! We could have this wrapped up by the weekends end. With an added cherry on top of bloose being relegated 

mate

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, calcifer said:

I think we are quite likely to play a couple of the top teams in Europe, which will be amazing considering where we were a few season ago. I am just enjoying the ride. Hopefully come Sunday evening we can break out the it's happening Gif in the thread 🤣

I don't know how the rankings work fully, or if us making a final or winning it matters much to our seeding for next year. 

However, the new format you play 2 teams from each Pot so it really doesn't matter for us what Pot we are in, just teams who will draw us