Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I know it's crazy but hear me out. 

There is a case to be made for us going into the Europa League on sporting terms (not financial).

1) The Format has changed to be the same as the Champions League, ie 2 extra games in group stages and a 2 leg knockout for those in 9th to 24th. This essentially removes some of the jeopardy for the top teams and increases the prize pool. 

2) No Champions League teams will drop into the Europa League in the new format, plus the 5th best Italian and German sides will also not be in it s they will go into CL. So the 2 teams from the PL who qualify will surely be the top 2 favourites for the competition

3) Having weaker European games for a club at the stage we are (when a European Championship was on in summer) will be a benefit to our Premier League performance and potentially our ability to make a go at the domestic cups.

4) Progression to Semi final or final stage in Europa League would bring good prize money and be close enough to the level we would get from going out in the playoff phase of the Champions League

5) Winning it is the biggest prize we can realistically win under Emery. We can't win the PL or CL and this is the 3rd best title available.

There is a case but  not one that should be one that we want.  

It’s one you say when you get pipped to 4th spot.  

This discussion would be about trying to uplift the fan base because of disappointment of not getting a Champions League place.  

Hopefully this is not  going to be our outcome and I wouldn’t give up CL for EL.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I want Champions League too, but my point is the difference between last years CL and EL was bigger in terms of pros/cons than the new format is. 

Let's face it we will be playing in EL League at some point in next few years with Emery here. Hopefully we get one or two visits to CL too. I just want us competing for the top 7/8 positions for the forseeable future

We will.  I can't see a scenario we don't qualify for europe under Emery, even if it's Conference.

• Like 2

Our league form might be impacted but it would be impacted more if we play Europa League because we'll probably go further. This is just part of being a big club that we'll get used to.

But we have no reason to be afraid of anyone in the Champions League. We're about to finish 4th in the Premier League. We've beaten Arsenal and Man City this season. There is no reason we can't beat European clubs and advance in the tournament.

Playing in the Champions League lets us attract and retain top quality players.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

In the same period we would be playing 10 CL level opponents, means more required from our best players and 4 more games. 

We wouldn't though.

We'd be playing four teams on par with Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool.  Two teams equal to a Spurs or Newcastle.  And 2 teams equal to a West Ham, Brighton, Wolves level. 

And we'd only need to win around three of those eight games to qualify for the play-off round. Four wins would put us mid-table and give us a decent chance of getting though the play-off round.

Four wins also pay an extra prize money of £10 million on top of the base CL money.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Our league form might be impacted but it would be impacted more if we play Europa League because we'll probably go further. This is just part of being a big club that we'll get used to.

But we have no reason to be afraid of anyone in the Champions League. We're about to finish 4th in the Premier League. We've beaten Arsenal and Man City this season. There is no reason we can't beat European clubs and advance in the tournament.

Playing in the Champions League lets us attract and retain top quality players.

There is some rubbish in the CL.  Forgetting the top leagues, the rest are rubbish.  Likes of Danish, Dutch, Scottish, greek teams are way behind.

• Like 1

Were we ready for the Conference League when we qualified for it last season following an unbelievable run of form?

Did it kill us this season and see us finish lower than we did last season?

If we qualify for it, we will be ready. It will not kill us. And Emery knows what to do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I know it's crazy but hear me out. 

There is a case to be made for us going into the Europa League on sporting terms (not financial).

1) The Format has changed to be the same as the Champions League, ie 2 extra games in group stages and a 2 leg knockout for those in 9th to 24th. This essentially removes some of the jeopardy for the top teams and increases the prize pool. 

2) No Champions League teams will drop into the Europa League in the new format, plus the 5th best Italian and German sides will also not be in it s they will go into CL. So the 2 teams from the PL who qualify will surely be the top 2 favourites for the competition

3) Having weaker European games for a club at the stage we are (when a European Championship was on in summer) will be a benefit to our Premier League performance and potentially our ability to make a go at the domestic cups.

4) Progression to Semi final or final stage in Europa League would bring good prize money and be close enough to the level we would get from going out in the playoff phase of the Champions League

5) Winning it is the biggest prize we can realistically win under Emery. We can't win the PL or CL and this is the 3rd best title available.

Is your thirst for negativity so great that you're now trying to convince us that qualifying for the Champions League (which you previously assured us we definitely wouldn't do because we'd definitely finish 6th, and then that we'd definitely finish 5th) is actually a bad thing?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Is your thirst for negativity so great that you're now trying to convince us that qualifying for the Champions League (which you previously assured us we definitely wouldn't do because we'd definitely finish 6th, and then that we'd definitely finish 5th) is actually a bad thing?

More like thirst for attention

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's just trying to protect himself emotionally.

What he should do instead is sell his house and bet on Tottenham to finish top 4 (for which I can currently get 6/1 odds). Then when he's proven right he'll have enough money for 6 houses, which will help dull the pain of Aston Villa playing Europa League next season.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

He's just trying to protect himself emotionally.

What he should do instead is sell his house and bet on Tottenham to finish top 4 (for which I can currently get 6/1 odds). Then when he's proven right he'll have enough money for 6 houses, which will help dull the pain of Aston Villa playing Europa League next season.

I’ve put a tenner on it. Felt weird but if I win I can get drunk with the winnings.

On goal difference, if we finished on same points and goal difference as Tottenham does it then go down to goals scored?

We've effectively got an additional point providing we don't have a bad end to the season, with our goal difference. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ender4 said:

We wouldn't though.

We'd be playing four teams on par with Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool.  Two teams equal to a Spurs or Newcastle.  And 2 teams equal to a West Ham, Brighton, Wolves level. 

And we'd only need to win around three of those eight games to qualify for the play-off round. Four wins would put us mid-table and give us a decent chance of getting though the play-off round.

Four wins also pay an extra prize money of £10 million on top of the base CL money.

Maybe i'm biased, but I think we have a better squad than Villarreal did under Emery and they got to the semi finals beating Juve and Bayern along the way. We'll be fine.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Maybe i'm biased, but I think we have a better squad than Villarreal did under Emery and they got to the semi finals beating Juve and Bayern along the way. We'll be fine.

They did indeed. Amazing achievement. They did however finish 7th in the league so I think fans will need to accept it’s going to impact our league placing. 

I think most level headed fans will be able to handle this.

However let’s just get there first. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa