Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

13 hours ago, paul514 said:

could be all over if we beat brighton and spurs don't win mid week, they would be 9/10 points behind when their weekend kick off happens

Yeah, Chelsea need the win to have any hope of European football next season. Also they will be fired up at home to Spurs. 

I feel we just need a big performance against Brighton. Go into that as fired up as we can be. We are better away from home at the moment than at home where the team feel pressure. 

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

You don't think us beating Brighton and Spurs losing both away games to Chelsea and Liverpool is a realistic possibility?

That would mean spurs losing 4 league games in a row. I don’t think that will happen. In fact it would not surprise me if they got 4pts from those games. They were actually pretty good yesterday. Hopefully we’ve got enough to drag ourselves over the line.

6 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

That would mean spurs losing 4 league games in a row. I don’t think that will happen. In fact it would not surprise me if they got 4pts from those games. They were actually pretty good yesterday. Hopefully we’ve got enough to drag ourselves over the line.

Yeah I think Spurs will get a draw from one or both games possibly. As long as our result against Brighton is better than their combined result then we should have done enough to secure 4th

• Like 1

Spurs will be beat Chelsea, Chelsea were good against us but we was hopeless tbh, we couldn't string two passes together and was all over the place at the back and wasteful up front. 

We need 6 points.

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

Spurs will be beat Chelsea, Chelsea were good against us but we was hopeless tbh, we couldn't string two passes together and was all over the place at the back and wasteful up front. 

We need 6 points.

Chelsea have lost only once at home in PL since November. While this is their derby game and a midweek evening game. I think Chelsea will be hugely up for this. 

Chelsea have only lost once (when Palmer was out) in their last 10 PL games

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Chelsea have lost only once at home in PL since November. While this is their derby game and a midweek evening game. I think Chelsea will be hugely up for this. 

Chelsea have only lost once (when Palmer was out) in their last 10 PL games

I can understand your argument and hope you are right but I wasn't that impressed by Chelsea,  despite them being all over us they never beat us. Spurs played well yesterday and finished the game very strongly. I just think Chelsea's character will be severly tested and I'm not convinced there's that much there tbh. 

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Also don't rule out Burnley taking something off Spurs. Burnley have lost only once in their last 8 games. Got a point at Old Trafford too.

I think there's a few turns left tbh and can see it going to last game us needing a point or something along them lines. What ever happens we have done exceptionally well given the small squad and the injuries we have had.

11 minutes ago, tinker said:

I think there's a few turns left tbh and can see it going to last game us needing a point or something along them lines. What ever happens we have done exceptionally well given the small squad and the injuries we have had.

Yes, totally agree. If we can get 4th or win Conference League or both. It'll have been a season beyond expectations. Like we're nearly at 70 points which is a monumental effort given how bad our injuries have been. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, omariqy said:

Would be lovely right?!

I don't know I just get the feeling it will go to the wire. All the injuries we've had and with what happened with 5th not getting CL. Just points towards another twist. I hope not and I would expect Spurs to get a maximum of two points in their next two games. 

i agree i think it'll go to the wire too. we SHOULD beat brighton (and on current form you'd argue liverpool too) but there will be a twist and turn i'm sure.

i don't think it will be as bad as us needing a win on the final day, but i can see it being a situation where we need to avoid defeat

21 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Like we're nearly at 70 points which is a monumental effort given how bad our injuries have been. 

he thought popped in my head yesterday that neither us or spurs could get to 70 points, we both stumble at the finish line and us already having those points on the board is massive 

• Like 1

Reckon it's a draw for spurs on Thursday and maybe Sunday too. We also will draw with Brighton which would still be okay for us. Would mean a 6 point gap and they having the one game in hand against man City. 

As much as Saturday night was frustrating it felt like a point gained at the time and yesterdays result meant it was (Being greedy i would have like to gain a couple of goals too!)

This week they have Chelsea & Liverpool and we have Brighton, would obviously love to gain on them but I think if we can get through these games neutral and so still with the 7 point lead then I think that would be us just needing to win one of the last 2 games.

Chelsea you have the London derby factor so i think that may be the tougher of the 2 games as Liverpool just dont look at it and to be honest form wise Brighton are one we should target for 3 points

Really is squeaky bum time!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

he thought popped in my head yesterday that neither us or spurs could get to 70 points, we both stumble at the finish line and us already having those points on the board is massive 

Could happen, if spurs lose against Chelsea and Liverpool then they might look at the table and think it's beyond them. Who knows, they're capable of winning both which would mean they'd be very much in it and we'd need to find some sort of heroics in the last games ourselves even with all the injuries and the ECL games...

Personally though I think we need 4 points from our last 3 games, beat Brighton and we're almost home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Spurs have 2 wins in last 10 away games. 

Chelsea have 4 very winnable games after the Spurs match. They could get to 63 points if they win all of their games which, and it’s a long shot, could get them 5th.

They will very much be up for the game on Thursday. Let’s just hope Spurs aren’t.

Edited by jacketspuds

14 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Could happen, if spurs lose against Chelsea and Liverpool 

Personally though I think we need 4 points from our last 3 games, beat Brighton and we're almost home.

In bold if happens it's over. They can't bridge 10pts in last 3 games. 3pts is enough if Spurs get beaten by Chelsea and Liverpool. Let's go Scouse Pensioners

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Chelsea have 4 very winnable games after the Spurs match. They could get to 63 points if they win all of their games which, and it’s a long shot, could get them 5th.

They will very much be up for the game on Thursday. Let’s just hope Spurs aren’t.

Spurs forum thread they're saying 4th is gone and Chelsea could still catch them. These posts were before Arsenal loss