Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

12 minutes ago, duke313 said:

How can Spurs be blamed for this season co-efficient when they weren't in Europe?  The extra spot for CL was based on this season only, what Spurs did three seasons ago had no bearing.  The only way Italy can have 6 teams in CL is if one of them wins Europa and finished outside top 5.

The coefficient is calculated across the last few seasons, not this season alone. If spurs had done better in the first conference league and not got knocked out early the coefficient would be better 

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

The coefficient is calculated across the last few seasons, not this season alone. If spurs had done better in the first conference league and not got knocked out early the coefficient would be better 

The extra 5th spot was calculated on this season alone, you're thinking of the overall co-efficient for 4 places, it's based on a 5 -year average and England are miles ahead of the rest in that.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, duke313 said:

How can Spurs be blamed for this season co-efficient when they weren't in Europe?  The extra spot for CL was based on this season only, what Spurs did three seasons ago had no bearing.  The only way Italy can have 6 teams in CL is if one of them wins Europa and finished outside top 5.

Atalanta is 6th at moment

I want CL based on getting 4th. I don't want the accusation to be of us getting lucky and 5th.

And England not getting 5th place for CL will contribute towards Spurs (probably) having less money next year with CL football, which will hurt them.
It will also likely mean that one of Man U, Newcastle and Chelsea won't have European football next year, which will hurt them (but maybe help with fixtures too). PSR is starting to bite, so these clubs will be affected by the income loss, albeit less so than we'd hope.

I want to win the UECL for a trophy, the prestige, a bit of cash, and the UEFA ranking points (these will help in the coming years with seeding).

All of the above would underline the genius of Emery, and that we are seriously on the up. This will help attract players and sponsors.

So providing we can get the points for 4th - this week has been perfect!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorthEastVillan said:

Am I right in thinking the Brighton game will have to be moved for the semi finals? What about Liverpool will that just remain as is?

Liverpool going to the Monday night is good now. Got an extra 30 hours to recover from the SF (although I think we'll be far more comfortable in this one as Olympiakos aren't as good as Lille imo).

• Like 1

Does anyone know the difference in prize money between qualifying for the Champions League vs Europa League? How would we look for FFP this summer for both scenarios?

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Liverpool going to the Monday night is good now. Got an extra 30 hours to recover from the SF (although I think we'll be far more comfortable in this one as Olympiakos aren't as good as Lille imo).

God, I hope we shit on the Klopp farewell parade on MNF, would be glorious.

Imagine an Emery mastercalss to secure us 4th on Klopp's final away game, who no doubt the buildup will be all about.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Does anyone know the difference in prize money between qualifying for the Champions League vs Europa League? How would we look for FFP this summer for both scenarios?

The winner of the Conference League only gets 2 million less than getting into the group stage of the CL (this year, not sure next year as it's expanded). Obviously going deep in the CL is massive money.

As per below, it's now vital we qualify for the CL group stages, or go deep into the Europa / UECL each season to maintain an extra 15-20 million. 

That's just prize money. Add in at least 1,500,000 for each home game. 

Edited by pas5898
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Probably been mentioned, but cannot believe Tottenham have extra week off till they play Arsenal.  We have Bournemouth Sunday and Brighton 2 days after playing Olympiacos??

We would have if Bournemouth were still in the FA Cup.

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

But they already have a game in hand, couldn't they have played them?

No, because their game in hand is against Chelsea who are also playing in the FA Cup, and even if they weren't would have been playing Brighton this weekend.

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

No, because their game in hand is against Chelsea who are also playing in the FA Cup, and even if they weren't would have been playing Brighton this weekend.

Lucky feckers!

I’m not worried about Tottenham’s extra rest, it doesn’t always guarantee success in the first match back. How many times have we seen teams’ form drop off after an international break, for example.

Like Emery has said, he prefers us to play twice a week as it keeps the intensity up and we can implement changes quickly. Villa are in good form right now, I’d rather play Bournemouth while we are still buzzing than have a week off to potentially go off the boil. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

We would have if Bournemouth were still in the FA Cup.

Ok let’s look more deeply into this, which useless bunch of losers managed to knock Bournemouth out of the FA Cup? The game’s gone!!!