Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

The loss of the extra CL place for Prem was a blip this season

Just 'cause I love CoFC, two posts above yours I hypothesise that 5th place is, in fact, not lost yet:

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Villa draw tonight and go through, West Ham draw and go out, Liverpool win but go out => (1 + 1 + 1 + 2)/8 = 0.625 points, leaving England 0.017 points behind Germany.

Villa get a win, a draw, and go through the SFs and, of course, win the final => (2 + 1 + 1 + 2)/8 = 0.75 points.

The German teams all go out in the semis with one win plus a loss (Leverkusen), one win plus a loss (Bayern), and draw plus a loss (Dortmund) => (2 + 2 + 1)/7 = 0.714 points.

Totals: England 18.375, Germany 18.357

Even with a West Ham loss tonight if you can lose a point for one of those German teams' results then the totals would be: England 18.250, Germany 18.214.

Hardly an unrealistic set of circumstances, but as ever we'll know a lot more in about 12 hours.

If the above plays out though we'll have to throw the ECL final to stop Spurs qualifying :P 

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 1

Just now, HeyAnty said:

Id take 4pts now if u gave it to me for Bournemouth and Chelsea games

Oh 100%

We'd probably only need one more win from there to take 4th, imo. And we'd still have 3 games to go, two of them very winnable

Top 5 being enough for Villa to be in the Champions League ahead of two winnable home games to pretty much seal top 5 would have been too easy. Villa never do it the easy way. Promotion, staying up on the last day when we looked dead and buried, Europe last season. 

This will go down to the last day where a win against Palace will mean we finish top four. Spurs will be 3-0 up after 30 minutes against Sheff Utd and we will anxiously be waiting for Villa to take the lead. 

Already mentally preparing myself for a penalty shoot out tonight!

Edited by RichW
  • Like 2

I reckon anything over 70 will be plenty. Spurs not likely to get more.

But as everyone says, important to get those on the board sooner rather than later.

17 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Id take 4pts now if u gave it to me for Bournemouth and Chelsea games

Same.  6 points is extremely optimistic, a win and a draw would do nicely.  Would still leave us 7 points ahead of Spurs before they play their next game.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

If we end up 5th sporting wise the Europa League is a better competition next season as there are no CL sides dropping into it. So surely we'd be amongst the favourites to win it. Also if we can make the final of The ECL we'll have a decent enough seeding for Europa.

The loss of the extra CL place for Prem was a blip this season most seasons there will be 5 and with Europa we'll have an opportunity to win that and qualify.

5th and Europa League of that's what it ends up as is progression. Sporting fate robbed it of being CL qualification this year but of we get to 70 points whatever happens that's a huge achievement with the injury problems we've had. 

I worry a little this summer about the finances but seeing how Rogers has turned out so far is encouraging in terms of recruitment. While a season with Ramsey, Mings and Buendia back fit would be welcome boost. Duran is progressing too. 

Yeah great way of looking at it

Scenes in this thread when Coefficient FC are back on track after a 0-4 Liverpool win, a huge 4-1 win for West Ham and a squeaky bum time 2-2 draw for Villa.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Scenes in this thread when Coefficient FC are back on track after a 0-4 Liverpool win, a huge 4-1 win for West Ham and a squeaky bum time 2-2 draw for Villa.

Everyone else has given up so I'll be back with some calculations later

80c0b1bb-17ca-4206-9e96-cff43dd0131a_tex

Edited by fightoffyour

Suddenly after averaging 1.5 points from man city and arsenal our remaining games don't look so bad compared to Spurs...will be close run but to be honest if they can get results v all the top 3 then fair play.

Odds of 5th being a champions league place now just 6.2%. what a farce of an effort from England.

Edited by VillaJ100

58 minutes ago, RichW said:

Top 5 being enough for Villa to be in the Champions League ahead of two winnable home games to pretty much seal top 5 would have been too easy. Villa never do it the easy way. Promotion, staying up on the last day when we looked dead and buried, Europe last season. 

This will go down to the last day where a win against Palace will mean we finish top four. Spurs will be 3-0 up after 30 minutes against Sheff Utd and we will anxiously be waiting for Villa to take the lead. 

Already mentally preparing myself for a penalty shoot out tonight!

You know us too well 😂

Wonder if we can borrow Trez for the Palace game and bring him on in the 90th to seal the dramatic winner?