Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

There are lots of positives to this:

•  No longer need to root for Arsenal or City or Liverpool 
  • Everyone knows the score, no hesitation needed. We will have to win and get to 72 most likely
  •  City and Arsenal can turn all their focus on thrashing Spurs 
  • No asterisk on getting UCL. Will be of our own accord

Not sure why there would be an asterisk even if it was 5th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

We are 1/2 for top four with the bookies so it’s actually 67/33 in our favour right now. 

i couldnt give a shiny shite what the bookies think.

• Haha 1

It’s a shame as I was hoping for 5th being enough. It means less pressure and we can concentrate on winning a trophy. You just me never know what will happen so it’s all well and good saying we are favourites for top 4. All it takes is an injury or a red card and your limping over the line again. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yer can’t kill the coefficient- 3 games tonight! 

Yep nobody thought we’d beat Arsenal at the weekend so I don’t predict anything anymore, Liverpool could do one of their European comeback performances and West Ham could surprise with a comeback with Leverkusen who are coming off the hangover from winning the league, and we could win and then it would be back on.  

More likely it won’t happen but nothing surprises me these days.  

The coefficient isn’t dead, it’s just hanging precariously on the edge of the cliff and the ledge is giving way.

I was putting my hopes in getting fourth anyway.

• Like 2

Are we absolutely certain there won't be any more possible FFP points deductions thrown into the pot, just to spice things up?

Couple of games to go, Spurs still in fifth, Villa looking increasingly likely to secure fourth.

Then, pif, paf, poof... Would you look at that, Jeff. Seemingly, out of nowhere, the Premier League have stepped in to ensure justice is done and this season ends fairly!

Edited by Lerner's Driver

BL are going to struggle at West Ham, I mean they've all been drunk for at least 3 days since they won their title as evidenced by Frimpong in a Villa top dancing like a mad man. I wouldn't bet against that being competitive. Liverpool, depends on Klopp, I think he'll let it go to be honest and focus on the league given it's his last hoorah. Us - well, would be rubbish to go out at this stage, but I think it'll be a close thing. So I see West Ham and Villa through and this coefficient watch carrying on for a little while longer.

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Yer can’t kill the coefficient- 3 games tonight! 

Villa draw tonight and go through, West Ham draw and go out, Liverpool win but go out => (1 + 1 + 1 + 2)/8 = 0.625 points, leaving England 0.017 points behind Germany.

Villa get a win, a draw, and go through the SFs and, of course, win the final => (2 + 1 + 1 + 2)/8 = 0.75 points.

The German teams all go out in the semis with one win plus a loss (Leverkusen), one win plus a loss (Bayern), and draw plus a loss (Dortmund) => (2 + 2 + 1)/7 = 0.714 points.

Totals: England 18.375, Germany 18.357

4ed765ee-efeb-4583-9bab-f95c501aafcd_tex

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9528rb06jpv2aym6jdfcf6

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Villa draw tonight and go through, West Ham draw and go out, Liverpool win but go out => (1 + 1 + 1 + 2)/8 = 0.625 points, leaving England 0.017 points behind Germany.

Villa get a win, a draw, and go through the SFs and, of course, win the final => (2 + 1 + 1 + 2)/8 = 0.75 points.

The German teams all go out in the semis with one win plus a loss (Leverkusen), one win plus a loss (Bayern), and draw plus a loss (Dortmund) => (2 + 2 + 1)/7 = 0.714 points.

Totals: England 18.375, Germany 18.357

Supporting Coefficient FC is an up and down rollercoaster. I'm not sure I can handle it, it's the hope that kills you. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Players want champions league 

Then they can leave.  With the exception of probably Martinez and Watkins, everyone else can be replaced if they want to leave.

Emery and his system are the most important part of the club.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jareth said:

BL are going to struggle at West Ham, I mean they've all been drunk for at least 3 days since they won their title as evidenced by Frimpong in a Villa top dancing like a mad man. I wouldn't bet against that being competitive. Liverpool, depends on Klopp, I think he'll let it go to be honest and focus on the league given it's his last hoorah. Us - well, would be rubbish to go out at this stage, but I think it'll be a close thing. So I see West Ham and Villa through and this coefficient watch carrying on for a little while longer.

Sorry I completely missed this, did that really happen?

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If we end up 5th sporting wise the Europa League is a better competition next season as there are no CL sides dropping into it. So surely we'd be amongst the favourites to win it. Also if we can make the final of The ECL we'll have a decent enough seeding for Europa.

The loss of the extra CL place for Prem was a blip this season most seasons there will be 5 and with Europa we'll have an opportunity to win that and qualify.

5th and Europa League of that's what it ends up as is progression. Sporting fate robbed it of being CL qualification this year but of we get to 70 points whatever happens that's a huge achievement with the injury problems we've had. 

I worry a little this summer about the finances but seeing how Rogers has turned out so far is encouraging in terms of recruitment. While a season with Ramsey, Mings and Buendia back fit would be welcome boost. Duran is progressing too. 

If we drop to 5th and end up in Europa, it will sting a little but we'll get over it, and as you say would probably be one of the favs to win it, which in itselft will mean CL qualification even if we drop off next season.