Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

4 minutes ago, omariqy said:

We just need to win the next 3 games. Forget about anything else. 

7 points and Spurs would be 9 points off us if they lose v Arsenal and draw at Chelsea. Would basically be all over for them if they then lose at Anfield.

It's there for us it really is. Even 4 points off Bournemouth-Chelsea isn't too bad as 7 point lead isn't easy to overturn with 6 games left and Spurs will lose a couple more in the run in I think we can be fairly certain of that with how they defended at Newcastle.

I'd take either; the fan wanting a trophy and the logical side wanting the potential for greater growth in the CL.

Unfortunately, it's not a case of one of the other... It could be both, but I imagine the likelihood of it being neither is actually greater.

And that would be a devastating end to an incredible season. So close but so far.

Personally for me, being born just before the 90s, I haven’t grown up seeing us win trophies and certainly haven’t been to any parades. So it’s not something I know, or need to experience (Actually seeing that West Ham picture gives me anxiety with those crowds but that’s another issue). If we were to win the ECL, I’d be straight to thinking how can we improve next year to get to where the big clubs are. And I will think that right up to the champions league… if we win that, then I’ll probably become an emotional wreck. 

Im really sorry but I just can’t get excited about winning a third tier competition. It’s not the pinnacle. 

Again though, that’s not to say I wouldn’t be delighted with winning it. But I’d just be thinking that we need to reach the next level now.  

Edited by Tayls
  • Sad 1

I don’t give a shit what happens as long as we win every game left , Qualify for CL and Win The Conference. 

As for Real Madrid Don Unai is probably thinking about a master plan to sort them mofos out too. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Personally for me, being born just before the 90s, I haven’t grown up seeing us win trophies and certainly haven’t been to any parades. So it’s not something I know, or need to experience (Actually seeing that West Ham picture gives me anxiety with those crowds but that’s another issue). If we were to win the ECL, I’d be straight to thinking how can we improve next year to get to where the big clubs are. And I will think that right up to the champions league… if we win that, then I’ll probably become an emotional wreck. 

Im really sorry but I just can’t get excited about winning a third tier competition. It’s not the pinnacle. 

Again though, that’s not to say I wouldn’t be delighted with winning it. But I’d just be thinking that we need to reach the next level now.  

You know both can be achieved right? Win the ECL, celebrate and then move on to the next level?

• Like 2

I suspect most recent seasons England would easily get the co efficient points.Newcastle and United both being so poor they didn't even make Europa shafted it from the get go 

Yearly basis. 

I want English teams to do really well because I want us to be fighting for the top 5 spots every year. 

I also want unai to have the luxury of making the decision. Do I go for fourth or fifth knowing both qualify for CL , or do I risk 4th place and accept fifth with CL guaranteed and go all out for the cup.

20 minutes ago, colhint said:

Yearly basis. 

I want English teams to do really well because I want us to be fighting for the top 5 spots every year. 

I also want unai to have the luxury of making the decision. Do I go for fourth or fifth knowing both qualify for CL , or do I risk 4th place and accept fifth with CL guaranteed and go all out for the cup.

In theory having that 5th place would increase the chances of getting it again the following year? Sure there’ll be one more added to the denominator but 1 more chance of picking up points…

5 hours ago, R.Bear said:

If you would choose having a season in the CL, over this then I feel deeply sorry for you.

west-ham-united-players-parade-through-s

The Roma celebrations dwarf this and they had won trophies more recently

Might have a pat on the back from finishing 4th with no parade and just a footnote in history

• Like 2

People spending more time worried about this coefficient nonsense, than is being spent enjoying beating Arsenal at the Emirates and currently sitting in 4th place.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

You know both can be achieved right? Win the ECL, celebrate and then move on to the next level?

Yea, but the question was, win the ECL and get a trophy or finish in champs league… 

6 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I'd take either; the fan wanting a trophy and the logical side wanting the potential for greater growth in the CL.

Unfortunately, it's not a case of one of the other... It could be both, but I imagine the likelihood of it being neither is actually greater.

And that would be a devastating end to an incredible season. So close but so far.

Odds on fav for 4th and favourites for the conference  league yet the likelihood of neither is greater ?  I had to double check your username when I read this.

You and any other doubters can get a very tasty 7/4 on Spurs getting 4th. Might soften the blow.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

7 hours ago, Alakagom said:

If PL doesn't get 5th spot it will more likely be result of Arsenal and Liverpool going out this round, not Dortmund going through. 

More like someone letting Man Ure into the champions league 🤣 

That was just an waste of a team in the CL! 

32 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Odds on fav for 4th and favourites for the conference  league yet the likelihood of neither is greater ?  I had to double check your username when I read this.

You and any other doubters can get a very tasty 7/4 on Spurs getting 4th. Might soften the blow.

Might stick £20 on as whatever I bet on doesn’t come true ever 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, omariqy said:

We just need to win the next 3 games. Forget about anything else. 

It’s not just about THIS season though is it? PL getting the fifth place means we have a greater chance of getting regular CL football EVERY season going forward. This is the vital point for me - not just the impact on this season.