Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, RichW said:

Both Bournemouth and Chelsea are tough games. We have a good chance to win but there's also a good chance we don't win either. 

Chelsea beat a poor Everton last night, have to remember they are 9th for a reason - they lack consistency. 

Hopefully we can back up the Arsenal result with a win against Bournemouth. When we beat Arsenal and Man City we backed it up beating Brentford. Sometimes teams get a big result and then lose the weekend after. Fingers crossed we can get through against Lille, English teams have a good week in Europe and we can have a comfortable home game this weekend! 

Last 4 league games:

Everton - Win
Sheff Utd - Draw
Man Utd - Win
Burnley - Draw

If we play like we did at Arsenal, we'll blow them away.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Last 4 league games:

Everton - Win
Sheff Utd - Draw
Man Utd - Win
Burnley - Draw

3 of those sides are in the bottom three so that unbeaten run doesn't really impress me that much. Could have easily lost to Burnley aswell. 

Emery will have learnt from the FA Cup game. He won't make the same mistake twice.

We can beat anyone who on any given day, and we are capable of being beaten if we aren’t committed. The Chelsea game is very winnable still. But we absolutely need to focus on 3 points against Bournemouth first. That’s the priority. We need to create more of a buffer. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Chelsea also play Man City and Arsenal before us.

Hopefully someone gives Cole Palmer a kick in one of those games. Chelsea are a 1 man team at the moment.

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Pre season I expected is to either challenge the top 5, or have a run in a cup. I absolutely didn't expect genuine top 4 form and a run in a cup.

Then we lost Mings and Buendia.

Then we lost Ramsey and Kamara.

And my expectations dropped further.

It's unreal what Emery and the team has achieved. It's crazy that we're at this stage and favourites to get top 4 from the teams chasing 4th spot.

A little bit more and we're there. But even if we don't, this season has massively exceeded all my expectations. 

Hasn’t exceeded mine but im bloody impressed, I’ll tell you why im not because of a man named Unai Emery 🥶 i called it before the start of the season that we would be going for champions league spot, Emery would not be happy with Europa league as the target that i can assure you, however i am still buzzing and proud of the position we find ourselves in 🙌🏽

55 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Last 4 league games:

Everton - Win
Sheff Utd - Draw
Man Utd - Win
Burnley - Draw

Different dynamic. We will want to dominate the game from the off so will be more open and susceptible to the counter. There was way to much space given to them in the FA cup.

2 hours ago, rubberman said:

Hopefully someone gives Cole Palmer a kick in one of those games. Chelsea are a 1 man team at the moment.

He's also threatening to steal Ollie's golden boot with all of the penalties.

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I didn't mention before game but was in my mind before Arsenal game that with Rugby League in Oz I've heard players that play regular season backing up from mid week State of Origin they feel better playing closer period between games than a couple days more rest

I remember either Shankly or Paisley saying that with the mid week European matches that they did not really train in the week. With the extra match they stayed fit and by limiting train they weren't to tired. If we follow that Tottenham might be worse of having their time off and losing their sharpness. 

Some times there are advantages and disadvantages at the same time. The secret is to take use of the advantages and don't let the disadvantages get you down.

Just realised that Matty Cash (unbelievably) has played the 6th minutes for us this season. 

Outside of Martinez, Luiz, , Watkins, McGinn and Konsa who have played almost every game  the rest of the squad through one reason or another has had pretty good rotation. 

Should hopefully stand us in good stead for the run in. 

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

Just realised that Matty Cash (unbelievably) has played the 6th minutes for us this season. 

Outside of Martinez, Luiz, , Watkins, McGinn and Konsa who have played almost every game  the rest of the squad through one reason or another has had pretty good rotation. 

Should hopefully stand us in good stead for the run in. 

That is a mad stat!

12 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Imagine if we secured fourth and reached the conference League final. With the conference final being a deciding factor whether 5th gave cl football.

Id hate to be Spurs 

Are their fanbase that fussed about it? They've played in CL in 2011, 16, 17, 19, 20 and last season so it's not the same feeling as it is for Newcastle and us having first experience of it in decades.

I think most Spurs fans would rather win the league or FA cup given their trophy drought isn't far off stretching into two decades now. They'd also have a decent chance in the Europa league.

European campaigns have been very scarce for us in the last 25 years so understandably this all feels fresh and ridiculous exciting but Spurs have been in various competitions plenty of times and this was always going to be a rebuilding season for them.

9 hours ago, RichW said:

Before games people sometimes debate trying to say x team has an advantage over y team because they had a game mid- week/extra days rest etc but I don't usually buy it much. 

Seen plenty of times where Villa have played against a team who had Europe mid-week yet when the game comes the other team looks fresh and we looked knackered. Arsenal had 2 days extra rest last week yet second half they looked tired and we played like we had a full weeks rest.

Not convinced this 2 week break is good for Spurs tbh. 

It's a bit of both. We'd have given Spurs a far better game than we did not having Ajax the Thursday before away. However one of our worst Sunday games all season was losing to Forest and we actually had a rare free week to prepare for that one but it didn't help.

Our results on the whole have been pretty good for the Sunday games after Europa.

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Different dynamic. We will want to dominate the game from the off so will be more open and susceptible to the counter. There was way to much space given to them in the FA cup.

For some reason in the cup game we were allergic to marking any of their players. Gallagher  strolling to the edge of the box to get his shot in with all our CMs just watching him (Kamara played in that game). Then you had Jackson in the middle of the penalty area with Carlos and Lenglet somehow both five yards away from him.

Then Fernandez scores that ridiculous free kick right into the top corner.

It was a bad night but we'll have a much stronger and more focused 11 out this time. Not like we have a hang up about them like we do playing Man. United as they haven't scored past us in our three Stamford Bridge trips under Unai so far so think that's the best tactic, sit in and hit them on the break as they lack discipline off the ball.

Edited by VillaChris