Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh of course. It's madness that we've got 5 games left and we're still mathematically in the title race. Absolute madness

I hadn’t thought of it like that. I think it probably was the 95/96 season when that last was the case. I haven’t checked any other year in fairness.

According to Wikipedia Man Utd were on 73 points after 34 games while we were on 62. We ended on 63 :mellow:

• Like 1

Whilst 4th now sort of in our hands I’d still like to see the following

City through, Bayern through, Atletico through and Villa through. 

City then beat Bayern and we win our semi. That gives 5th place just in case right ?

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

City then beat Bayern and we win our semi. That gives 5th place just in case right ?

I agree, give me certainty as soon as possible. Then if Spurs get 5th we can tell them to thank us.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I agree, give me certainty as soon as possible. Then if Spurs get 5th we can tell them to thank us.

I suppose we should want Arsenal to win really I just can’t do it ! 

Although city should do them over 2 legs anyway. 

• Like 2

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d just like them (English) teams all through this round, I know one or two highly unlikely but let’s just get this 5th place coefficient thing sorted so we can relax and enjoy the rest of the season fighting for fourth and a trophy.  All five of our teams can still go through, West Ham being the most unlikely by some distance imo, Liverpool have a very tall order but they have the firepower that will either miss 30 chances or score 6 so I wouldn’t rule them out yet and the rest of us, have challenging but achievable games if we are in the right mindset.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I suppose we should want Arsenal to win really I just can’t do it ! 

Although city should do them over 2 legs anyway. 

Oh I hate Arsenal but like you say City can take them out next round.

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

I’d just like them (English) teams all through this round, I know one or two highly unlikely but let’s just get this 5th place coefficient thing sorted so we can relax and enjoy the rest of the season fighting for fourth and a trophy.  All five of our teams can still go through, West Ham being the most unlikely by some distance imo, Liverpool have a very tall order but they have the firepower that will either miss 30 chances or score 6 so I wouldn’t rule them out yet and the rest of us, have challenging but achievable games if we are in the right mindset.

Yeh I guess this is what we should all want really. I just really hate Arsenal because of one fan. Very childish I know. 

It would be pretty awesome to have champions league secured and to be 2 games away from a European final.  Big game Thursday.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think it was only 3 or 4 weeks ago Chelsea fans wanted Poch gone  .. they've just had a lucky run of penalties and playing crap teams like United , so I still think they have one more season of being a basket case club 

Liverpool hopefully go down the Moyes type route United took 

Arsenal will get to mid season and finally realise Arteta is the Spanish Sherwood 

that leaves us v Citeh for the title .. and they will have a 20 points deduction so we might be able to nick it by a point :D 

I want to believe so I choose to believe it! 

47 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we’ve overachieved personally. Amazing effort by the squad.

Oh we've definitely overachieved. Especially considering where we'd have all guessed we'd be at the start of the season, or after that Newcastle game

• Like 1

Amazing what that kind of win does. Prior to Arsenal I was looking at our run in thinking it looked tough. Now I'm thinking we can win them all!

Edited by villan95

Imagine getting 4th and winning the Conference League, that's manager of the year right there, especially with the injuries we've had.

It's a bloody miracle and it's what happens when you have a quality coach and players that wanna learn

50 minutes ago, RichW said:

Before games people sometimes debate trying to say x team has an advantage over y team because they had a game mid- week/extra days rest etc but I don't usually buy it much. 

Seen plenty of times where Villa have played against a team who had Europe mid-week yet when the game comes the other team looks fresh and we looked knackered. Arsenal had 2 days extra rest last week yet second half they looked tired and we played like we had a full weeks rest.

Not convinced this 2 week break is good for Spurs tbh. 

They destroyed us with it.  We were wrecked before halftime 

37 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Especially if Matty Cash gets the winner.

To be honest we want all English teams to go through. More games for our rivals next year so easier to get 5th place for CL

1 hour ago, RichW said:

Before games people sometimes debate trying to say x team has an advantage over y team because they had a game mid- week/extra days rest etc but I don't usually buy it much. 

Seen plenty of times where Villa have played against a team who had Europe mid-week yet when the game comes the other team looks fresh and we looked knackered. Arsenal had 2 days extra rest last week yet second half they looked tired and we played like we had a full weeks rest.

I didn't mention before game but was in my mind before Arsenal game that with Rugby League in Oz I've heard players that play regular season backing up from mid week State of Origin they feel better playing closer period between games than a couple days more rest

51 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We beat Bournemouth and Chelsea and 4th is guaranteed imo. Those two games are the biggest of the season in terms of context .

Chelsea seem to be turning themselves around - that will be a tough match, I think

1 minute ago, VillaBrum said:

Chelsea seem to be turning themselves around - that will be a tough match, I think

Indeed.

Another team which simply have too much quality in the tanks to not eventually come good imo.

Positive is, we have a knack of humbling even the best of teams on our day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichW said:

It was because we conserved energy and Arsenal didn't.  We did the same thing to Spurs in their ground, they looked knackered after 60 mins and we took control.

32 minutes ago, VillaBrum said:

Both Bournemouth and Chelsea are tough games. We have a good chance to win but there's also a good chance we don't win either. 

Chelsea beat a poor Everton last night, have to remember they are 9th for a reason - they lack consistency. 

Hopefully we can back up the Arsenal result with a win against Bournemouth. When we beat Arsenal and Man City we backed it up beating Brentford. Sometimes teams get a big result and then lose the weekend after. Fingers crossed we can get through against Lille, English teams have a good week in Europe and we can have a comfortable home game this weekend!