Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Win every game for the rest of the season and we have a European trophy and are in the Champions League.

Simples.

Win Major League GIF - Win Major League Only One Thing To Do GIFs

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I might be wrong but if Arsenal, City and Atletico advance then regardless of what happens on Thursday, 5th spot CL is all but certain.

We won't even need it: nothing to worry about. Villa going to nail 4th and blow this popsicle stand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

We won't even need it: nothing to worry about. Villa going to nail 4th and blow this popsicle stand.

3o1yto.jpg.339ac0dc87afba049a34df59e3feb3ad.jpg

Edited by 479Villan
  • Haha 1

What we really need against Lille is an early goal then we can try and dictate the pace of the game maybe get some early subs on. Its going to be a tough one for sure. Apparently French teams were given the weekend off to rest up!!

It’s incredible what one weekend can do. Suddenly Spurs have some work to do to get past us. With goal difference now, they might need four points to get back ahead of us. That’s two games out of six remaining. We are in a really strong position. We need to capitalise on it now against Bournemouth and Chelsea before spurs kick another ball. 

27 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

I don't know all the permutations, but I'm not convinced about Arsenal at all for the same reasons I cited for Liverpool. We bossed them in the second half, but not beating Bayern when they had the whole stadium full of Gooners is an embarrassment. The worst Bayern side in a decade and Arsenal were technically naive on both sides until the 70th minute.

I think City is through, and I'll trust Diego with a 1 goal lead 11 times out of 10.

Honestly it's tough to call. Sure Arsenal looked poor today but there's nothing to say they can't go out and put in the kind of performance we did against them when they play Bayern.

I'd be a lot more confident of 4th if we had the safety net of 5th being a CL place! If Arsenal, City, Atletico and ourselves could progress, I think we'd push on without pressure and get 4th. I don't care if Spurs get 5th and a CL spot, if we want to be a big team we just need to take care of ourselves.

But if results go badly, then pressure will be on every match and with such tight margins.

Greedily, I desperately want a cup too! CL is better for the club, but trophies are better for most fans. Again, if by Thursday results have gone our way, I'd fancy us really going for it vs Lille. If they haven't, I worry we may focus/prioritise Bournemouth.

Reckon we know what's what by late evening next Sunday. A MASSIVE week for us in all ways.

1 minute ago, jackbauer24 said:

Again, if by Thursday results have gone our way, I'd fancy us really going for it vs Lille. If they haven't, I worry we may focus/prioritise Bournemouth.

I think there's absolutely no chance of us choosing to 'prioritise Bournemouth'. Unai was busy boasting - as he should! - about his record of winning European trophies in the programme for the first leg. He's not going to throw a chance to add to his record when we're winning after the first leg of a quarter final. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think there's absolutely no chance of us choosing to 'prioritise Bournemouth'. Unai was busy boasting - as he should! - about his record of winning European trophies in the programme for the first leg. He's not going to throw a chance to add to his record when we're winning after the first leg of a quarter final. 

In the mindset of a small club it would have been natural to prioritise one over the other, a big club mentality would be qualify for the semi-finals and beat Bournemouth.

As a Villa supporter it is hard to get use to the new world where Villa is a big club, after “30 years of hurt”, actually it’s more like 40 years, but the song is just as fitting for Villa as it is for England.

I’m sure Emery will have the mindset of a big club and give 100% both on Thursday and Sunday, and I will support it, no matters if it is successful or not. 

• Like 1

Great win against Arsenal, now we need to focus on Lille game. It will be tough. Hopefully Lille will start getting nervous after our win against Arsenal. 
That game might be our CL qualification game, and getting us near to our first trophy since almost 3 decades. 
To be honest I’m more worried about Lille than Bournemouth for now (despite rating them). My issue with that and Chelsea is we play both before Spurs play (could go either way). Anyway if we qualify we’ll still have another wild card to play (other than league wins. 

If we won against Lille and hopefully 5th secured for PL, I think that would make it interesting. I don’t think Emery will surrender 4th, but the priority will be the Conference. However, it would be a great way to start playing Duran, Tim, Kellyman and Kesler. Ofcourse Rodgers should have more time with less pressure games to continue improving. We’ll need a bigger squad next season. Raising values for players or evaluating them would be very beneficial for us.

However, still tough European games could see the other way round. I’m glad we won, put us in a very good position. Which shall make our players fully focused on Lille.

As someone saud, what happened against Brentford could turn to be the best thing to happen, especially if we don’t collapse and lose at Lille. We need to prevent what happened against Brentford to happen again.

9 hours ago, thabucks said:

Wow and there I was trying to defend you earlier … Have you seen spurs fixtures compared to ours - they play two London derbies in Arsenal then Chelsea followed with Liverpool and next then is Burnley, Citeh & finally  sheff utd. We have Bournemouth, Chelsea, Brighton then plop and finally palace. 

Which of the two would you rather have ? We’ve just beaten Arsenal for the second time this season and you hope we’ll get two more wins this season … ok 

I just see Liverpool and Arsenal as less formidable now. If they think the league is gone and Spurs are the team with something to fight for then Spurs might pick up wins. 

We have a great chance if we can beat Bournemouth as Spurs don't play next weekend. We have the advantage but it can change in a single weekend

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DublinVilla said:

There’s no dropping into it next year with the new format. 

Ah, I'd didn't realise that. That helps Europa League as a competition. I'm sure we'll play in it over next few years and it is more winable with this change and still offers a CL place.

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I just see Liverpool and Arsenal as less formidable now. If they think the league is gone and Spurs are the team with something to fight for then Spurs might pick up wins. 

We have a great chance if we can beat Bournemouth as Spurs don't play next weekend. We have the advantage but it can change in a single weekend

You could say the same about Spurs after losing to Newcastle and us beating Arsenal.  They know they still have to play City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool and are three points behind us with a game in hand.  They are in the same position to us as Arsenal and Liverpool are to City give or take.

Likewise the other way, Arsenal and Liverpool could react and with the recent pressure off that they play the football they can play and tear Spurs a new one.

I think there is still a lot of points to play for and just while I don’t get down too much when we get a negative result, I don’t get too excited with a positive result in terms of where we finish in the league because there are too many twists and turns.  

I just try really to enjoy each game individually and obviously still on cloud nine beating the Arsenal.  

How teams are going to act over the next five or six games seems futile as this weekend showed.

That arsenal game has really sorted us out. 

I think with spurs coming games we could end up with a good buffer over them in the coming weeks, which will really help us focus on winning the cup.

Genuinely couldn't see how we were going to balance the two before this.

• Like 1