Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Newcastle are no threat whatsoever, they're ten points behind with only twelve points to play for, if it was the other way around and we were ten points behind them with four games left, not one person would be suggesting that we could catch them. The only team that are a threat to us are Spurs

18 left to play for?

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Weirdly, i would say Newcastle are more of a threat now than Manure, if you had to say which one of them was a threat.

Both teams on same points and same games, but.....

Newcastle's run in is Palace, Sheff utd, Burnley, Brighton, Manure & Brentford.

Manure's run in is Sheff Utd, Burnley, Palace, Arsenal, Newcastle, Brighton.

tbh, both have a much easier run in than us or Spurs.

4 wins and 2 draws from 15 away games this season. 

Eighteen points left to play for I was getting the Championship and Premier League mixed up, but same difference, the North East outfit aren't making up ten points with only six games left, their fixtures aren't even as easy as are being made out anyway, they could easily lose away to Palace, Brenford, and Manchester Unted

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

I think we should be apologising to you for playing at such antisocial hours for New Zealanders. 🙂

My wife moans that I watch them live and I’m always tired.. She did ask if they could change the kick off time to a more convenient time…. I’ve emailed the premier league but have not received a reply as yet.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

The average points for 5th over the last 5 years is 67 points, but ok if you want to go back 10 years. 

I’m not saying we haven’t done incredible work this season, we have, first half of the season was some of the best football I’ve ever seen us play.

I guess I just watch us play at the moment and we don’t look like a team that is in the top 4, in fact we don’t even look close to that level at times. But I guess Spurs fans will be saying the same thing about their team which is why it’s a strange season.

I'll take a 10 year average as a better indicator than just 5 years. In any case, why should a team finishing with poor form on 60+ points deserve to finish below a team finishing with good form on 50-something points?

Even if a team's form is good or poor in the earlier or latter parts of the season, they deserve where they are in the table after 38 games. Unless you think games in the second half of the season carry more weight than the first? Perhaps 4 points for a win from game 20?

34 minutes ago, useless said:

Newcastle are no threat whatsoever, they're ten points behind with only eighteen points to play for, if it was the other way around and we were ten points behind them with six games left, not one person would be suggesting that we could catch them. The only team that are a threat to us are Spurs

Correct

26 minutes ago, useless said:

Eighteen points left to play for I was getting the Championship and Premier League mixed up, but same difference, the North East outfit aren't making up ten points with only six games left, their fixtures aren't even as easy as are being made out anyway, they could easily lose away to Palace, Brenford, and Manchester Unted

This time last season we were 8 points behind Newcastle with 6 games to go after just smashed them. Not sure people even mentioned Champions League

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hopefully fan mentality can change one day

Agreed...they can go follow small heath down to division 20 in a few weeks🤩

55 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

If only we didn't have to play Arsenal, Chelsea and... Liverpool!! It's the other games that are relevant.

They also have City to play and we got that out of the way. Their loss to Newcastle is equivalent to us losing at Brighton, so that's still definitely possible.

1 minute ago, ben1505 said:

Man City and Arsenal go through next week and 5th placed Champions league is back on the table.

It’s not off the table now. It’s comfortably the most likely scenario

11 minutes ago, Raymond said:

Going to really hurt when we miss out on CL because Liverpool couldn't be bothered against a team fighting for sixth in Serie A. 

Spurs have a very difficult run in tbf. 

1 hour ago, ben1505 said:

My wife moans that I watch them live and I’m always tired.. She did ask if they could change the kick off time to a more convenient time…. I’ve emailed the premier league but have not received a reply as yet.

I will support this

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Man City and Arsenal go through next week and 5th placed Champions league is back on the table.

Man City, sure. I'm not confident enough to back Arsenal winning in Germany.

42 minutes ago, brommy said:

I'll take a 10 year average as a better indicator than just 5 years. In any case, why should a team finishing with poor form on 60+ points deserve to finish below a team finishing with good form on 50-something points?

Even if a team's form is good or poor in the earlier or latter parts of the season, they deserve where they are in the table after 38 games. Unless you think games in the second half of the season carry more weight than the first? Perhaps 4 points for a win from game 20?

Lol don’t be so facetious. 

I think 5 years is a better indicator because it’s more relevant. If you were looking to buy a business you wouldn’t look at the last 10 years of financial performance because it goes too far back, 5 years is a good benchmark for what is happening now.

We will deserve to finish wherever we finish. All I’m saying is we are somewhat fortunate that outside the top 3 there are no great sides. Man Utd have spent loads but are poor, Tottenham are unreliable, Newcastle have too many injuries, Chelsea are totally dysfunctional, and West Ham just aren’t capable of disrupting the elite. Any of those sides could have taken advantage of us stumbling at the business end of the season but haven’t shown anywhere near the consistency needed which is of course good for us.