Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Bournemouth not winning this game might not be such a bad thing for us, we don't want them too confident coming into our game

I just looked at Newcastle next 6 fixtures and apart from Man United the other 5 are against bottom 5 sides.

They also seem to be picking up a bit of form.I do worry that fatigue ,injuries and loss of confidence in defence may mean we finish the season poorly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh took the new manager a while to get going. United with the players they have should be challenging for the title. Hopefully they stick with Ten Hag who is clearly out of his depth. 

We have 5th but it’s all about 4th now. It’s the injuries and suspensions that are our undoing. So frustrating. 

Unless missed some sarcasm, United have no right to be challenging top 6 

16 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

It’s been a strange season in many ways. We aren’t playing well enough over the last few weeks and months to finish 4th, even 5th, but there’s so many poor teams this season that keep messing up when they have a chance to close the gap, United a prime example and Tottenham too.

We’ll finish 4th or 5th but by default more than anything.

We're on course to finish in a higher position and on more points than last season despite playing a lot more games and having to cope with significant injuries too. Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea & West Ham all underperformed last season also. If you can't appreciate the progress we're making then football might not be for you. 

• Like 1

Just now, oishiiniku_uk said:

We're on course to finish in a higher position and on more points than last season despite playing a lot more games and having to cope with significant injuries too. Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea & West Ham all underperformed last season also. If you can't appreciate the progress we're making then football might not be for you. 

Football is for me, I’ve followed it all my life and who are you to tell me what I should or should not enjoy.

I wasn’t slandering the team, just being honest, I really do rack my brains why you guys are so sensitive sometimes. We aren’t playing like a top 4/5 team currently and if you can’t see that then I don’t know what to say. Injuries may partially explain it but Newcastle have had a horrendous injury list and still look very good. I personally think Kamara has been a big loss from the guys missing and maybe Mings (but he was missing in the first half of the season too where we looked very good and better than last season), but we still have enough talent on the pitch to be performing better than we are, especially defensively. If you don’t agree fine, maybe football isn’t for you then.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Do we have a good record v Bournemouth?

Doesn't matter, if we can't beat them at home then we don't deserve a CL spot. 

• Like 1

That’s mental from VAR. on the line is in the box isn’t it? And if the foul continues int he box it’s a pen. I don’t see how var can confidently overturn that. 

37 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

It’s been a strange season in many ways. We aren’t playing well enough over the last few weeks and months to finish 4th, even 5th, but there’s so many poor teams this season that keep messing up when they have a chance to close the gap, United a prime example and Tottenham too.

We’ll finish 4th or 5th but by default more than anything.

We haven’t got 60 points through default. And that’s how you finish in the top 5

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, brommy said:

The average points to finish 4th and 5th in the Premier League over the past 10 years is 68.8 and 64 points, respectively. We're currently on 60 points - with 6 games remaining.

Virtually every team has differing form over a 38 game season, so why would us finishing on a point total around the average for 4th or 5th place be down to other teams 'messing up' this season, when the average points per position table doesn't show that?

Exactly

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1