Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Spurs beat Forest, Burnley, Sheff United. 

Reasonsble, yeah?

They lose to Liverpool, Arsenal and Citeh. 

Again, I think that’s fair.

Puts them on 66.

Newcastle and Chelsea. What, maybe 4 points? Could be 6, could be nothing. Let’s say 4.

So the magic 70 total.

We would need to beat Brighton, Bournemouth, Chelsea and Palace. I’ve written off the other two games.

I don’t know, it still seems vaguely realistic to me.

I can see Spurs getting 11 points which would put them on 68, we need to win 3 imo, we need to be targeting beating 1 of Arsenal and Liverpool, I think we we'll beat one of them not sure which.

All tough games but we have the capability of winning at least 3 more.

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Tbf this is the first time we've done that all season (unless you count United as struggling).

At the time I would have counted them as struggling.. I don’t think they were even top 7 at that point? They were certainly fragile. 
We also got pegged back against Luton but managed to nick a winner. 

Edited by Tayls

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

At the time I would have counted them as struggling.. I don’t think they were even top 7 at that point? They were certainly fragile. 
We also got pegged back against Luton but managed to nick a winner. 

Yeah there's definitely a mental fragility about us when we go two goals up. For some reason it doesn't seem to happen when we're one goal up?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

I can see Spurs getting 11 points which would put them on 68, we need to win 3 imo, we need to be targeting beating 1 of Arsenal and Liverpool, I think we we'll beat one of them not sure which.

It won't be Arsenal.

No chance without Luiz.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Man Utd are far from finished. They always raise their game against Liverpool and then they have 4 games which they should win all of. Spurs also have the advantage of a lighter fixture list and a fully fit squad. 
We on the other hand are limping over the line and I wouldn’t back us to beat anyone at the moment. We should however limp to another six points. That would leave Utd needing 19 point from 8 matches to overtake us. That’s highly unlikely but with their fixtures it is possible.

The reality is though, we will finish  somewhere between 4th and 6th. I think it will probably be 5th but I really think that 6th is more likely than 4th. At the start of the season, we would all have taken a 6th place finish and thus whatever happens we will have had a brilliant season.

Now, with my glass half filled we are still in Europe. We are still in the Champions League hunt. We still have a brilliant manager. Maybe we have had our bad spell and we are going to fly again for the rest of the season. Let’s hope so. UTV. COYVB. SOTC.

I have watched both United's last 2 games there where appalling.Liverpool may have let in slip on cup but I don't see them doing the same tomorrow especially as United are threadbare in defence.

As for winnable games ,they lost to Fulham at home who have gone on to lose to Newcastle ,Forrest and drawn at Shef United conceding 3 goals in process.

Spurs are a much bigger worry than United IMO

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Yeah there's definitely a mental fragility about us when we go two goals up. For some reason it doesn't seem to happen when we're one goal up?

Concentration and possibly a lack of a Mings type who keeps everyone on their toes.

23 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Man Utd are far from finished. They always raise their game against Liverpool and then they have 4 games which they should win all of. Spurs also have the advantage of a lighter fixture list and a fully fit squad. 
We on the other hand are limping over the line and I wouldn’t back us to beat anyone at the moment. We should however limp to another six points. That would leave Utd needing 19 point from 8 matches to overtake us. That’s highly unlikely but with their fixtures it is possible.

The reality is though, we will finish  somewhere between 4th and 6th. I think it will probably be 5th but I really think that 6th is more likely than 4th. At the start of the season, we would all have taken a 6th place finish and thus whatever happens we will have had a brilliant season.

Now, with my glass half filled we are still in Europe. We are still in the Champions League hunt. We still have a brilliant manager. Maybe we have had our bad spell and we are going to fly again for the rest of the season. Let’s hope so. UTV. COYVB. SOTC.

Finishing 6th from the position were in would be a choke of epic proportions.

I can't see it happening we will be 5th at a minimum.

Just now, Zero7 said:

Manure will loose to Liverpool tomorrow. If 5th is offered up for CL I’d take it 

And if they win they could be 6 points behind us if they win their other game in hand.

Our inability to defend is my biggest concern right now.

That and the fact that, since the turn of the year, whenever we have a game that could really make a difference we throw it away.

But, these **** injuries are pissing me off more than anything. Yet it barely gets a mention when poor poor Newcastle have so many injuries.

Man U need 13 points from 8 games. That’s assuming that we pick no more points up.

Spurs will lose a few games that they shouldn’t. That’s the Spurs way.. 

Until it’s mathematically confirmed that CL is 5th.. and Man U can’t catch us… I’ll be nervous.

Assuming 5th gets CL then we'll be OK. It would take something of epic proportions for us to fall below 5th. 

Speaking frankly, we're not ready for the Champions League. The only benefit is financial, as we won't be massively competitive in it. 

• Like 2

As far as 5th is concerned, a lot depends on United tomorrow. If they lose that then we're not far off the stage where we could probably lose every remaining game of the season (which won't happen anyway) and still finish above them. They're simply running out of games.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Feels like we are bottling this. We need 5th to be a CL spot.

We will know a lot more after the next 2 weeks. We are 70% favourites for it but there's some potential for change with Germany being the country that can overtake us. West Ham v Leverkusen and Arsenal v Bayern are massive and us and Man City have somewhat difficult ties.

11 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Chelsea is surely more winnable than Arsenal and Liverpool.

Beat Chelsea and Bournemouth and get 4 points off Palace and Brighton and we still get to 70 points that way even if it looks trickier if folding at 2-0 up in this one.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Assuming 5th gets CL then we'll be OK. It would take something of epic proportions for us to fall below 5th. 

Speaking frankly, we're not ready for the Champions League. The only benefit is financial, as we won't be massively competitive in it. 

No we won't be 

But it's a huge opportunity to just have some fun and hopefully some incredible away games while making the most of the money 

Just now, The_Steve said:

Spurs might drop points tomorrow. Imagine that nothing is a given in football. 

Exactly. People expected us to win today, people expected Spurs to get something at Fulham. Plenty of twists and turns. 

• Like 1

I'm half glass full most of the time, but let's say we 'do' end up finishing 6th, and not winning the conference cup, is it that bad of a season?

If someone told me mings and bunedia won't be playing at all this season, Kamara out for half of it, JJ basically played 3 games all season, lose 5-1 on opening day. But we would finish one place above last season. Is it that bad?

Of course I would still be gutted given the year we had in 2023, and absolutely hope those who thinks 5th is almost a certainty with a UCL spot are spot on to their prediction.